Make a donation

Author Topic: Parking Paranoia - Irrational Moi ?  (Read 7453 times)

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 190
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=lpifgt639jfrcmlc5o9n7gi0t5&/topic,90967.msg917089.html#msg917089
Re: Parking Paranoia - Irrational Moi ?
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2018, 04:38:28 pm »
I tried my best to keep the dings out but its hard here. Lots of apartments minimal street parking and the smallest parking spaces ever. And its normal to bump cars when parking.

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

Offline Degudodger

• Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 86
    • Flickr
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2018, 11:42:52 am »
Where we used to live, if my favourite spots (I had four) were not available I had been known to either drive home and walk back or just not bother.

We moved down the road to Southampton nearly two years ago and the Local Sainsbury's have some amazing parking bays to the point where on a busy Saturday afternoon you can guarantee you'll be able to get a "special" bay.
2016 Mk7 Golf GTD - Reflex Silver with stuff.

VCDS Hex+Can - Will code for beer!

Offline Dogma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2018, 06:34:09 pm »
I bought and drive an old polo for this reason. Keep my nice ED30 and Corrado away for this sort of stuff. People just do not respect other people’s pride and joys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MK5 ED30

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2018, 09:39:26 am »
It is extremely liberating driving around in a 'cheap heap'.   I had a £500 E34 525i estate for that reason and the opposite happened.  Everyone gave it a wide berth!!  If I parked it in a corner, there were no cars surrounding it when I came back out.  I think the psychology there is, the cheaper the car, the less the owner gives a sh*t.

That car was also a stark reminder of how cheaply made German cars are these days, BMWs especially.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2018, 11:41:38 am »
It is extremely liberating driving around in a 'cheap heap'. 

Been thinking that myself recently......

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2018, 10:55:46 am »
It is extremely liberating driving around in a 'cheap heap'. 

Been thinking that myself recently......

+1
This ^ :happy2:

Considering you can get a MK5 with a 1.9 tdi or even a 2.0tdi GT model for another couple of hundred on top, it would be great to have a car you don't care too much about considering the rest of the nation seem to adopt that attitude!  :driver:
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2018, 05:42:45 pm »
Seeing as everyone loves stupid SUVs and crossovers these days, if you can't beat them, join them. 

The ultimate cheap heap.  A jacked up big wheeled Jeep Cherokee 4.0.  Towering way above all the crappy Range Rover Evoques, Qashqais, Jukes and other sh*tty little boxes pretending to be REAL 4x4 cars, you will be king of the road.  Wide berths given, and no one will park next to a beast like this....

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2018, 07:00:09 pm »
Seeing as everyone loves stupid SUVs and crossovers these days, if you can't beat them, join them. 

The ultimate cheap heap.  A jacked up big wheeled Jeep Cherokee 4.0.  Towering way above all the crappy Range Rover Evoques, Qashqais, Jukes and other sh*tty little boxes pretending to be REAL 4x4 cars, you will be king of the road.  Wide berths given, and no one will park next to a beast like this....

Ha ha... :signLOL:, yeah and if anyone does block your door by parking stupidly close, you can just stand on their roof and get in through the window, making sure yer boots ave studs on, to leave a nice pattern on their bonnet and roof. Don't fancy the fuel bill though.....

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2018, 02:00:17 pm »
Saw a lovely Golf R yesterday (that deep blue / purple metallic - don't know what its called), parked up in a bay that he / she had obviously picked deliberately, as it would avoid the risk of careless other parkers, and while admiring it, noticed this deep 'ding' a couple of inches down from the passenger rear window, so quite high up - probably damaged by a SUV rear door corner, being that high up.

Really felt for the owner - it makes me so cross that people can be so disrespectful and inconsiderate when parking. Grrrrr! :mad:

Offline coolhandluke

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2018, 09:46:10 pm »
Saw a lovely Golf R yesterday (that deep blue / purple metallic - don't know what its called), parked up in a bay that he / she had obviously picked deliberately, as it would avoid the risk of careless other parkers, and while admiring it, noticed this deep 'ding' a couple of inches down from the passenger rear window, so quite high up - probably damaged by a SUV rear door corner, being that high up.

Really felt for the owner - it makes me so cross that people can be so disrespectful and inconsiderate when parking. Grrrrr! :mad:
I have a ding in exactly the same place but due to be fixed soon .

Offline shoaybmakda

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2018, 10:18:12 am »
sometimes you can park it in the most careful place possible away from all the idiots and you will get pelted by natures hail stones or something of the sort.

i once had a homeless guy jump on the bonnet of my old Audi A6 because he was being chased. not even like I could get him to pay for the damage so had to fork out of my own pocket to fix it.

I now go by the feeling of sometimes you just can't deny fate of your pride and joy being damaged

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2018, 12:17:01 pm »
Yep, very true.  The only damage mine has suffered in 3.5 years was from the bloody wing mirror glass falling out at 80mph, and chipping the paint as it bounced down the bodywork.