Make a donation

Author Topic: Halfords DA polisher  (Read 12363 times)

Offline AliGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 2
Halfords DA polisher
« on: February 01, 2018, 07:43:24 pm »
Evening lads and lassies

Just been in Halfords and noticed they are now selling a DA polisher and pads. Has anyone bought one yet? If so does it do the job?

willni

Re: Halfords DA polisher
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 08:54:42 pm »
If you're talking about this one;

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-cleaning/polishers-steam-cleaners/halfords-dual-action-car-polisher

Knowing halfords it's overpriced for what it is,

This one is very popular with part time cleaners;

https://www.autobritedirect.co.uk/index.php/polishing-prep-waxing/machine-polishers-polishing-kits/da3-mini-12mm-dual-action-polisher.html

And it's sold by a company that solely deals in car care products. But yeah the cheap ones are cheap for a reason, uncomfortable to use, bad at their job and actually expensive for what they give.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 04:04:19 pm »
One could argue that all DAs are expensive, for what is essentially just an electric sander adapted to take foam pads  :grin:

The Halfords one seems pretty reasonably priced and would no doubt give better results than a hand job  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

willni

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 08:57:02 pm »
One could argue that all DAs are expensive, for what is essentially just an electric sander adapted to take foam pads  :grin:

The Halfords one seems pretty reasonably priced and would no doubt give better results than a hand job  :happy2:

DA spin in two directions and in a orbit also known as throw so reduces heat.
A rotary is similar to an electric sander in that it spins one direction and around a fixed point.

And i don't know about where you live but at car washes near me if you leave £10 on the dashboard during a car wash you'll definitely get the top range hand job

Offline Mark_DF05

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 12:53:23 pm »
How does this one compare? Better or worse?

As far as I can see it's more powerful and bigger than the one on the autobrite site?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Das-6-Pro-Power-Plus-900W-Dual-Action-Random-Orbital-Machine-Polisher-Brand-New/262253237719?epid=2130448526&hash=item3d0f82d5d7:g:5kUAAOSwoG5Z-Q12

willni

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 05:44:09 pm »
How does this one compare? Better or worse?

As far as I can see it's more powerful and bigger than the one on the autobrite site?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Das-6-Pro-Power-Plus-900W-Dual-Action-Random-Orbital-Machine-Polisher-Brand-New/262253237719?epid=2130448526&hash=item3d0f82d5d7:g:5kUAAOSwoG5Z-Q12

Not an easy question, power doesn't = better in polishers, and size can be great or a hinderance depending on panel. The cheap ones work but are generally heavier, filmsy and uncomfortable in use like a Peugeot :wink: , when you buy a brand like Meguiars it's all round better in comfort, use, build and a bit lighter (you'll be holding this at arms length on the roof for an extended time remember).

My Meguiars polisher just broke after 8 years and many many cars. So if you'll use it once a year go for a cheap one, if you're going to use it on 5+ a year might be worth getting a better one.

Offline Rossimac

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 33
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90767.0.html
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 06:00:40 pm »
And i don't know about where you live but at car washes near me if you leave £10 on the dashboard during a car wash you'll definitely get the top range hand job

😉 tee hee

Offline Mark_DF05

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 11:13:31 am »
The time has come to purchase a DA polisher now as I no longer have access to the Festool one I was previously using. On quite a tight budget, willing to spend up to £100 on the machine. (I already have some Menzerna polish and Lake Country pads which I can use for now.) Had a look online and found a couple of options all with fairly good reviews: Wittled it down to 2 options I think:

DAS6 Pro from cleanyourcar.co.uk -£99.99 delivered with promo code
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/das-6-pro-dual-action-polisher/das-6-pro-dual-action-polisher/prod_673.html?added=673
Seems the most popular option in this price range, gets good reviews. Comes with 2 backing plates 5 and 6”

Duren Polisher from Slimsdetailing.com - £99.99 delivered.
http://www.slimsdetailing.co.uk/duren-detailing-electric-polisher-kit.html
Also gets good reviews although not as highly praised as the DAS6 Pro but comes with 6 pads (not sure how good they’ll be however). Comes with 2 backing plates 5 and 6”

I’m aware Argos sell a version of the above for around £60 but only comes with a large backing plate as far as I can see and it doesn’t have the carry case either which will be useful I imagine. I think the Halfords one above could also be the same.

I’ll only be using this a handful of times a year, so I think either will do the job but for the same price, is the DAS6 Pro the best option? Obviously it doesn’t come with pads but seems a better machine.

Are there any others I should consider?

Offline eddie pk

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 03:19:18 pm »
i think the das 6 pro would be my choice , 6 mtrs of cable as well ... seems to get very good reviews for a long time now on detailing world website .. sometimes paying a bit more for tools makes sense and last a long time. buy cheap buy twice as my gran used to say .. probably ..

Offline Mark_DF05

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 03:19:32 pm »
Yeah makes sense, just purchased the das 6 pro.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2018, 06:48:26 pm »
As a machine polishing newbie, I bought the Halfords machine today, £85, and some G3 Professional SuperGloss wax, £27.  I already had some G3 yellow compound sitting around, so used that instead of posh branded stuff.

Took me 6 hours to machine it and wax it.  I am by no means a detailer and could have spent longer on it, but the swirls came out pretty quickly with a yellow (medium) pad.

There isn't a lot I can say about the Halfords DA as I have nothing to compare it to, but it certainly works well enough for me.   Feels robust, pretty light, 5M cable and seemed to handle fairly heavy pressure no probs.   I soaked it in water several times whilst rinsing the pad out and it handled that as well.

It's difficult taking pictures in the sun with a phone, but I don't think it has come up too bad at all for cheap stuff  :smiley:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D