Make a donation

Author Topic: Cheap remap  (Read 3384 times)

Offline ballcrusher

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
  • Work in progress
    • incar science
    • Email
Cheap remap
« on: February 09, 2018, 02:19:53 pm »
Just seen this on shpock what do you think?

https://en.shpock.com/i/Wnmx-gqdtgBPNWJ1/?lft=

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Cheap remap
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 04:46:03 pm »
Pretty sure they got a mention on the TFSI tuning Facebook group a while back, and as you can imagine, it was a big thread.......of mostly derogatory comments and accusations of the maps being purchased off the internet for 50p.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline ballcrusher

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Work in progress
    • incar science
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 05:23:03 pm »
They don't do any data logging or even drive the car so basically just remap your car with pre loaded files and they say they can tweak the map to your liking lol they have 4 advertises on shpock and claim figures of 40 to 45 bhp gains and up to 80 torqs and that's the sane for all turbo cars lol

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 06:24:56 pm »
Data logging is essential on these cars to make sure A) The turbo isn't over spooling, B) it's not pinking itself to death and C) the HPFP can keep up.

When it comes to prewritten maps, I only trust the likes of Revo and APR.  At least they do logging before handing the keys back  :grin:

Offline m1keh

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 03:12:36 pm »
You get what you pay for with these things. It takes time and money to develop a good remap.

Offline dreadaccind

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Cheap remap
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 05:08:02 pm »
Can you please let me know what the cost would be to remap my car.
Thanks
Ian

Offline ady-uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 08:32:00 am »
Data logging is essential on these cars to make sure A) The turbo isn't over spooling, B) it's not pinking itself to death and C) the HPFP can keep up.

When it comes to prewritten maps, I only trust the likes of Revo and APR.  At least they do logging before handing the keys back  :grin:

That's basically all Midland Remaps did to my car, didn't even start the engine up, well only to drive it out after!
Just charged a lot of wonga for nothing :(
VW Golf 2.0 Gtd 140 4motion (2005)
Factory fitted: xenons, sunroof, heated leather seats, fold in mirrors with downlights,
Custom: Mk6 steering wheel, updated gateway, RNS510 remote boot pop, LED lighting.

Offline ali

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 04:04:58 pm »
im getting mine done next week at map tech but I am getting a rolling road custom remap done with all the original settings saved then they map the car with its own map not a custom one.  they also give the car a good look over to start with to ensure everything is good and also give warranty on thier work..  this is costing 250 quid which i think isnt bad at all

Offline Dogma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 07:19:09 pm »
im getting mine done next week at map tech but I am getting a rolling road custom remap done with all the original settings saved then they map the car with its own map not a custom one.  they also give the car a good look over to start with to ensure everything is good and also give warranty on thier work..  this is costing 250 quid which i think isnt bad at all

That sounds like a cracking deal for all that at that price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MK5 ED30

Offline ali

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 01:49:34 pm »
yeah i thought was a good deal i know its bit further to travel for me but always worth it in the long run,   was recommended to me from a mechanic at the garage i use 

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 01:56:15 pm »
Marketing spiel.... It will be a generic flash map with a before and after dyno run and if you're lucky, a few data logging runs to check it won't blow up on your way home.

Warranty on what exactly? The data saved on the ECU? as they sure as hell wont warrant any failures or engine damage
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 02:58:51 pm »
Superchips is the only company I've seen that offer a mechanical breakdown warranty if it's proven their the remap caused it.

That is the difference between an established brand that can afford professional indemnity insurance, vs the myriad of other companies who seem to focus solely on pleasing facebook with very optimistic numbers.

I'm sure the £250 map will be OK, but I guarantee it won't be their own work.

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 03:13:23 pm »
Superchips is the only company I've seen that offer a mechanical breakdown warranty if it's proven their the remap caused it.

That is the difference between an established brand that can afford professional indemnity insurance, vs the myriad of other companies who seem to focus solely on pleasing facebook with very optimistic numbers.

Problem is - proving the map was at fault... Reading their T&C's, they will blame poor servicing, modifications or general fatigue/wearing out of components before you have any chance of a pay-out
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline shaft69

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2018, 10:54:15 pm »
We remap cars at my business will my own ed30 stage 1 takes it to 290hp. Do obd and bench mapping only pay £60 for tune to us then charge out what ever. Who we get maps off write own tune and also do in house custom tune on rollers.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2018, 04:24:38 pm »

Problem is - proving the map was at fault... Reading their T&C's, they will blame poor servicing, modifications or general fatigue/wearing out of components before you have any chance of a pay-out

But at least a recourse route is there.  Everyone else is 'tough luck mate'.