Make a donation

Author Topic: REVO SPS question  (Read 3407 times)

Offline mayesj86

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 3
  • Candy white ED30
REVO SPS question
« on: February 13, 2018, 11:14:19 am »
Well the time has come where im happy with the mechanicals on the eddie and looking to up the power a wee bit. Going to book her in for a REVO stage 1 or 2 not decided yet on which power level yet (weather in Scotland isn't great at the best of times and even stock with continental sports 5 on lights the wheels up).
Reading on their website it mentions that the maps are switchable. Does the price quoted include the SPS switch or is that an extra? I really like the idea of being able to switch back to stockish power when the weather is as it has been for a while up here. Would also like to get a "crap" fuel map if possible as its not always possible to get 99 in places I like to go and play on a nice day.

Cheers guys

Jason

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=edgjn8ggjd1obl1976d0p68om7&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: REVO SPS question
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 11:34:35 am »
Not included

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 12:15:41 pm »
Not specific to a car either so look for a second hand one, see them change hands for £40 or so and you can set them up yourself with a laptop
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline mayesj86

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Candy white ED30
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 01:14:30 pm »
Thanks for the info and speedy response guys much appreciated. Will have a look around the net and facebook group see if one comes up. Are they all the same or is there a better/worse one?

Sorry Dan when you say set up does that mean pay for the software and download it on yourself? Sorry bit green with tuning software.

Thanks again

Jason

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 01:36:30 pm »
The oldest version won't work with our cars. The current gen 'SPS' has been around for many years so I would aim for one of them

The SPS has adjustable Fuelling, Timing and Boost requests. These must be preset with a laptop and then simply selected using the rotary dial on the SPS when plugging it into the car - you can't just buy one and expect it to work with your car.

Dealers often charge for the time to set this up but you can download the software from Revo and do it yourself.
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline mayesj86

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Candy white ED30
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 10:06:23 pm »
The oldest version won't work with our cars. The current gen 'SPS' has been around for many years so I would aim for one of them

The SPS has adjustable Fuelling, Timing and Boost requests. These must be preset with a laptop and then simply selected using the rotary dial on the SPS when plugging it into the car - you can't just buy one and expect it to work with your car.

Dealers often charge for the time to set this up but you can download the software from Revo and do it yourself.

Thanks very much for the info Dan much appreciated.
I'm a bit useless with computer type things would probably get the dealer or someone in the know to set it up or maybe teach me for future use. Wouldn't want to risk damaging or worst case detonating the engine.

Thanks again

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 09:46:26 am »
Make sure you get an SPS Select + as it's the only one of the OBD2 dongle style units that is user programmable.  It has a small grey knob with about 7 positions and a USB socket at the bottom of it.   https://www.revotechnik.com/support/sales/sps-history

Some SPS Select + don't actually have that written on the unit, just says "SPS", just to make things confusing.

The Revo software is extremely basic.  You'll pick it up in literally 2 minutes.  Not worth wasting time and petrol to'ing and fro'ing to a Revo dealer for something you can do yourself in seconds.

When you say switchable maps, that is a misnomer.   You get one map with the Revo.   The settings just adjust how hard your boost kicks in.  Mild to aggressive.  It doesn't change the amount of boost unless you put it into stock mode.  The detonation and mpg worsening adjustments (T and F) I wouldn't play with unless you are well versed in VAG-COM logging.

And stock mode is nothing like stock, just Revo's interpretation of it.   If feels about 260-270hp to me.  It's not running stock boost, which is only 0.9 bar on the ED30.  I've seen 1.2bar in stock mode on mine.    The only way to get true stock is a visit to a dealer and hour with their ODIS equipment.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 11:00:18 pm »
Did some testing of the Revo F (Fuel) settings with stage 2+.

Wide open throttle, 3000rpm onwards.

F9 requests 0.88 lambda, or 12.9 AFR
F8 requests 0.85 lambda, or 12.5 AFR
F7 requests 0.82 lambda, or 12 AFR
F6 requests 0.79 lambda, or 11.5 AFR

Didn't go any richer than that, but can only assume it's low 11s, high 10s the richer you go, which is pointless with DI and chucks fuel into the exhaust needlessly.  I see so many tuned TFSIs belching out tons of black smoke under WOT conditions.  It's just not necessary. 

You make more power the leaner you can run, but just watch the timing pull.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 09:05:24 am »
Good work @Pudding !