Make a donation

Author Topic: Flat battery after being left for a couple of weeks. Help required  (Read 1164 times)

Offline Nardoblue

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
Hi all
 Possible have a suspect battery, had the gti for about 6 months, fitted a pumpkin 8” android head unit with auto cambus switching. Head unit goes off with ignition being switched off and shuts down after 10 minutes listening to it with ignition off but keys in. Being left for 2 weeks and the car had to be jump started. Charges fine at 14v when running.  What course of action should I take, battery check, amp draw to see if the head unit does go to sleep. Then change battery.

Offline theminty1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
Re: Flat battery after being left for a couple of weeks. Help required
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 08:07:13 pm »
Before you start the car tomorrow see what the voltage is. Overnight probably 12.5 volts. If you have access to a clip on ammeter or a meter is series you can see current draw. Remember the car does stay alive for a bit after you turn it off. Say wait 15mins before checking. Have the doors closed as this may keep the car alive. Not sure. If everything looks ok,get your battery checked. I am sure Halfords can load test it for you. Although you will probably guess the answer before they tell you.
Problem will come if you have a current draw finding it. I would disconnect the radio for a week and see how it goes. Process of elimination. Remember and let us know how you get on.  :happy2:
140 BKD GT TDi  5dr

Offline Nardoblue

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 09:20:57 pm »
Thanks for the advice, going to check battery voltage and hook a multi meter to see amp draw, will pop the number 19 fuse back in for the radio and recheck amp draw to see if it’s exessive. If it’s not then I’ll pop to eurocarparts to see if they will change the battery under its 5yr warranty. If it is then I’ll have a look at the wiring to make sure it’s loosing it’s 12v supply when the ignition is off.
Thanks once again for the quick reply.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 09:39:27 pm by Nardoblue »

Offline theminty1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 09:24:42 am »
Nice wheels :)
140 BKD GT TDi  5dr

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 11:37:05 am »
Foooo*in'  lovely that....How shiny are those chrome 'zorsts. A real credit to you.... :happy2:

See my post in Random Chat about parking paranoia.....
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 11:43:03 am by Juliand »

Offline Nardoblue

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 04:21:00 pm »
Cheers for the compliments lads.
Quick update. Amp draw checked and very low, and when pulling the number 19 fuse to the radio it never went up or down so no live feed to the radio when the key out. Went to eurocarparts as I had an invoice from the previous owner who bought a battery in 2015, got a ref number from the original store and they just replaced the battery, bonus as now I don’t have to pay £175. I’ve got to leave the car at work for 5 weeks while I’m out of the country so hopefully it’s ok when I get back. Ill let you know.