Make a donation

Author Topic: Headlight Plug Snapped  (Read 3540 times)

Offline lennshow66

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Headlight Plug Snapped
« on: February 20, 2018, 01:47:43 pm »
Hi All,

I've bought some headlights to replace my old ones however I have gone to fit them and the drivers size release plug has snapped.

Before I cut the wires and re-solder a plug has anyone got any ideas how to remove this? I have tried putting a small flat screwdriver down the edge however it seems very stuck on. I have attached a picture below.

Thanks for any help!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Headlight Plug Snapped
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 02:02:11 pm »
Common problem.  They are the worst plugs on the car by far.  You just can't get your hands in there in to release the tabs, hence all the plier marks on your plugs!

Unfortunately you just have to be brutal with it.  It will come off.  Have you got any 90 degree picks to prod into the sides to release the tabs?

VW sell new plugs, which is favourable to chopping and soldering.  Shouldn't really use solder in the engine bay harnesses.  No car manufacturer does because it's not as reliable as a physical crimp connection.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline lennshow66

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 02:09:06 pm »
Common problem.  They are the worst plugs on the car by far.  You just can't get your hands in there in to release the tabs, hence all the plier marks on your plugs!

Unfortunately you just have to be brutal with it.  It will come off.  Have you got any 90 degree picks to prod into the sides to release the tabs?

VW sell new plugs, which is favourable to chopping and soldering.  Shouldn't really use solder in the engine bay harnesses.  No car manufacturer does because it's not as reliable as a physical crimp connection.

I'll try and get some 90 degree picks thanks for that idea. Where would I put this into?

Thanks

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 03:06:40 pm »
There is a tab on each side of the plug, but they are flush with the main housing, unlike the other plugs in the engine bay which you can get your fingers onto.  Really sucky design.   You need to press those tabs in with the picks.  VW must have special pliers with raised bits to press the tabs in.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 77
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 09:45:19 pm »
Push the connector in with the tabs depressed to relieve some tension then pull, usually helps

Offline lennshow66

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 09:26:45 am »
Anyone got any pictures that will help?

Thanks

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 77
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 10:33:19 am »

Offline lennshow66

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 05:15:04 pm »
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=103123.0

Search function is all it takes

Thanks already found that page.

Managed to get it sorted using a set of picks I bought for 3 quid. Thanks for everyone's help