Make a donation

Author Topic: Anyone installed a MK6 Golf tailgate opener on their MK5? Without camera.  (Read 2546 times)

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 39
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110924.0.html
Hey.
Anyone installed the Mk6 tailgate opener on their Mk5?

Read somewhere that you'll loose the "soft close" from the mk5 if you go for the mk6 logo?
MK5 TDI 2.0 MY2005 - FULL OF RETROFITS:
MK6 dashboard - BCM converted - MK7 cruise control MFSW - PLA 2.0 - 3D instrument cluster - Discover Media 2 - Highline TPMS - 10ch Dynaudio system - KESSY with start button

Offline doylebros

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
Re: Anyone installed a MK6 Golf tailgate opener on their MK5? Without camera.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 07:05:32 pm »
Correct on the soft closing and you also have to cut a leg off the wiper motor for the MKVI camera set up to fit and operate.

Look at step eight. http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,10027.0.html
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 07:11:20 pm by doylebros »

Offline v4rley

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 104
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 08:00:31 pm »
Bit of boot badge knowledge I have to share...

There are boot badges around that actually combine both the soft opening and mk6 style ‘3d’ badge. These are obviously hard to source on the internet as most people wouldn’t be aware of the changes. So basically it stared with the crappy prone to white worm badges with soft close. Then it changed to ‘3d’ style but retained the soft close feature. Finally the soft close was dropped and the snappy badge was born. The soft 3d badges can be found amougst 06-56 reg but is a bit hit and miss.

I had to sacrifice my soft close and opted for the camera but I have never looked back, literally   :grin:

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 04:05:29 pm »

There are boot badges around that actually combine both the soft opening and mk6 style ‘3d’ badge. These are obviously hard to source on the internet as most people wouldn’t be aware of the changes. So basically it stared with the crappy prone to white worm badges with soft close. Then it changed to ‘3d’ style but retained the soft close feature. Finally the soft close was dropped and the snappy badge was born. The soft 3d badges can be found amougst 06-56 reg but is a bit hit and miss.

I had to sacrifice my soft close and opted for the camera but I have never looked back, literally   :grin:
Ha, guess you haven't mate :)
I would have the rear view camera, but I've got a MIB2 installed which requires the MK/ platform camera for work, and to build a mk7 camera to a MK6 boot logo housing is to much effort.. I'm fine having the PDC sensors and the mirrors for the cost of what I would end up with to retrofit camera to my car.

Anyway, great that you can get the "3d" style badge with softclose. When you say 06-56 reg then you mean it's a 2006 model registed may or june? We don't use these terms much where I'm from I guess.. Nor do i ever really cared for what it ment  :evilgrin:
MK6 dashboard - BCM converted - MK7 cruise control MFSW - PLA 2.0 - 3D instrument cluster - Discover Media 2 - Highline TPMS - 10ch Dynaudio system - KESSY with start button

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 05:03:59 pm »

That 3D badge is different from the mk6 3D badge. It has sharp edges on the VW logo while the mk6 badge has a nicer 3D design. :wink:

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 05:13:15 pm »
I would change the logo for a gloss black one anyway... Just need the opener unit so that I can put on a fresh logo :) I've got a the oldest unit now that are known to be attacked white worm.. I did replace mine a year back but didn't know that they were different so my replacement were the same as the old type .....  :sick:

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 07:29:13 pm »

@v4rley    - Do you know if the mk6 logo will fit the mk5 handle? Really want to keep the soft close, but the mk6 logo os much better looking  :party:

4ndy

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 07:39:34 pm »
Yes the bevelled mk6 "vw" will fit the MK5 mechanism. Tight fit so gentle does it :happy2:

Offline v4rley

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 07:42:11 pm »
Yes I’m pretty sure they do, although it’s been a while since I fiddle with them. @MateyGuv would know for sure but not sure if he’s about much these days. They just need a few clips removing back of the mk6 emblem to fit the mk5 mechanisms

Yeah the cars between May - October ish. Is not guaranteed but a good starting point. It takes a bit of time but with your level of mk5 always worth the effort 

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 07:46:19 pm »
Thanks for replies guys :)

So not all mk5 handles with the 3d logo has soft close?

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 07:56:27 pm »
Thanks for replies guys :)

So not all mk5 handles with the 3d logo has soft close?

No, the factory fitted boot badge on my Ed. 30 was 3D with sharp edges without soft close (MY2008). The factory fitted boot badge on my GT Sport had the same 3D design as the mk6 boot badges (MY2009), no soft close.

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 08:15:51 pm »
Yes I’m pretty sure they do, although it’s been a while since I fiddle with them. @MateyGuv would know for sure but not sure if he’s about much these days. They just need a few clips removing back of the mk6 emblem to fit the mk5 mechanisms

Yeah the cars between May - October ish. Is not guaranteed but a good starting point. It takes a bit of time but with your level of mk5 always worth the effort

@v4rley so it's the build date or buy date? - Sorry for the questions, but don't want to end up buying different one hehe

Offline v4rley

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 09:45:52 pm »
Well would be the build date. But the only certain way to find one would be having to email the seller and getting them to check, not ideal I know but if you compose a template and fire it of to a few beakers it should pay off.

Frustrating as I recently started breaking a R32 but let the badge go with the boot and it was a 3d soft close  :sad1:

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2018, 12:36:57 pm »
Well would be the build date. But the only certain way to find one would be having to email the seller and getting them to check, not ideal I know but if you compose a template and fire it of to a few beakers it should pay off.

Frustrating as I recently started breaking a R32 but let the badge go with the boot and it was a 3d soft close  :sad1:

Hehe well yeah, guess you are right. Will shut out to some breakers and see what they can find for me :)

Sad I missed that you're breaking and I didn't came up with this in time  :drinking: