Make a donation

Author Topic: Intermittent flywheel problem or something else?  (Read 1360 times)

Offline Daveabuk

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Intermittent flywheel problem or something else?
« on: February 22, 2018, 01:36:08 am »
Hi all,

I am a proud owner of a Mk5 1.9tdi (105) MY56 with engine code BXE.
When purchased, the car was immaculate for the age and miles (110k). With no running problems whatsoever.
After about a month of owning, in the cold season and gradually over the space of about a week I started to get some judder when pulling away in first. This would be always there unless I took the RPM well over 2500 when pulling away.

The really interesting thing that has confused me is it isn't always there. One day I can get in the car and the judder will be there and the next day it will run perfect unless i let the RPM go too low when pulling away (<1000rpm). I've taken it to a garage for them to give it a drive and they have said flywheel obviously.

I understand why, car with a judder in first = flywheel in more cases. But wouldn't the judder be there constantly?
I have had the car scanned and the only errors that popped up we're alarm horn open circuit and all 4 glow plugs open circuit which I'm ready to sort.

Has anyone experienced this before? Any other things to check? One thing I've noticed is on full lock and very low speeds (<5mph) the front sounds shocking. Like judder+scraping. I also get something similar when reversing at low speeds.

Hope someone can shed light. Before I spend £600 on a 12yo car. Cheers.
56 Mk5. 1.9BXE.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Intermittent flywheel problem or something else?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 02:50:44 pm »
When you say judder, you mean the physical 'thud thud thud thud' in the cabin when getting the clutch onto the bite point?

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Daveabuk

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 10:32:05 pm »
When you say judder, you mean the physical 'thud thud thud thud' in the cabin when getting the clutch onto the bite point?

Yes mate similar to that. Not actually when getting the clutch onto the bite point, its kind of after bite when the car is just starting to move. Just drove home from work and it was fine, until I came to a red light. Dipped the clutch, engaged first and thud thud thud again. Almost feels as though the clutch is bouncing on the flywheel.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 10:35:18 pm by Daveabuk »
56 Mk5. 1.9BXE.

Offline Daveabuk

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 08:37:22 pm »
Any other suggestions?
56 Mk5. 1.9BXE.

Offline DBXdarkangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 09:22:35 am »
Mines been like since I bought it. Wasn't sure if it was the clutch cylinder or something. Ive learned to love with it until the clutch total goes and replace the clutch kit with fly wheel. Seems the gti all suffer from the same faults. So much for German engineering lol