Make a donation

Author Topic: Thinking about selling my Pirelli  (Read 3370 times)

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Thinking about selling my Pirelli
« on: February 23, 2018, 03:42:19 pm »
My mk5 Pirelli is approaching 75k miles now, and I'm set to do another 20k this year.  I'm very loosely toying with selling it as I feel guilty putting so many miles on it, although I don't know what I'd replace it with because I love it!  I bought it because it was the special one, and that's now exactly why I'm thinking of selling it because I don't want to kill the value with mega miles!

Looking at these for sale at the moment they seem to be priced all over the place.  What are your thoughts.... manual, silver, 5 door, 75k miles... how much would it be worth?

I really don't think I'll sell because there isn't anything else that is tickeling my fancy, but the miles I'm putting on it are nagging me! I bought it at 49k about 15 months ago.

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 4
Re: Thinking about selling my Pirelli
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 07:15:46 pm »
They seem to be a on par with pricing of the edition 30’s maybe a tad more .

8-9k I would have thought?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 07:49:12 pm »
Same value as the ED30? Blimey.  I take it there are far fewer Pirellis than ED30s?

DSG 3 door with some good options (Xenons, Sunroof, cruise, arm rest, folding mirrors etc) will fetch a fair bit more than a 5 door manual, but I'd put it around the £8K mark as well.

I've been toying with the idea of a MK7 R, especially the 2018 facelift model, which is available in 30 optional funky colours.   Or the 2018 GTI, which now has all the Performance pack kit as standard.  LSD, big brakes, power hike, etc.

But as you say, both are not the leap forward over the MK5 as you would expect.   Don't fancy anything Audi or BMW.  Same boat really, not much appeals.  The MK5 ticks too many boxes......and it's basic.  Modern cars are £££££ nightmare ticking time bombs with all the unnecessary electronics frippery.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 07:55:07 pm »
Well for reference I paid 10.5 around 6 months ago ( 09 plate ,56k ,3 door , dsg good spec ) but I paid over the odds due to the vast and quality mods that had been done to it ( have receipts for 5k odd )

Mk6-7 doesn’t  really float my boat to be honest .... just looks like an dressed mk5 in my opinion.

Trouble is my little mk5 is a hoot for the money and can shame a lot more expensive stuff on the roads . Not sure I can justify anything else to replace it at the moment . All things that interest me are 25-45k , and having that much money in a car ( yes I’m old school and actually buy my cars !) takes the fun out of it for me .
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 08:24:10 pm by Bodyboarder81 »

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 08:40:27 pm »

DSG 3 door with some good options (Xenons, Sunroof, cruise, arm rest, folding mirrors etc) will fetch a fair bit more than a 5 door manual, but I'd put it around the £8K mark as well.

i have always found it odd that 3 doors are more attractive to buyers - I specifically wanted a 5dr manual.

To be honest I'm throwing my toys out a little bit because the car has been in the garage two weeks - it had a fault a year ago that was a replacement throttle body, which wouldn't pair with the ECU, so the ECU was sent off for a fix.  It's worked until a few weeks ago when  I got the same conconction of lights on the dash, my garage confirmed it's the same as before, but the ECU repair company have tested everything and can't find a fault so I'm now £200 lighter for the testing and postage, and my car is the same as it went in, i.e. I'm expecting it to just drop into limp mode at any moment.  Drives fine, just has a tantrum and the lights come on - it's only done this once this time around though.  The garage aren't sure on the cause so want me to drive it in when it falls into limp mode.  Picking it up tomorrow and we'll go from there.    :sad1:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 09:28:16 pm »
It's the styling difference.   3 door has the lovely raised haunches at the back, which gives the MK5 it's classic wedge look.   The 5 door has a flat, boring glass line which totally loses that styling cue.

This is what I mean:

What the VW engineers wanted and designed.  3 door beauty.  The essence of MK5.

What the marketing people and families who can't be bothered to tilt the front seats forward wanted:

There is no comparison. 3 door all day long.......but marketing and family access wins because 3 door Golfs are being dropped  :ashamed:

Anyway, each to our own.  5 door saloons, yep, no problem.  Hatchbacks, sorry, they need to be 3 door  :smiley:

That's a strange one with the throttle and ECU pairing.  There is only 1 throttle for the MK5.  Later revised with a 'Q' part number suffix and made by Continental as opposed to the factory fit VDO unit, but only 1 throttle available, and only 1 ECU, with the '115L' part number suffix.   Perhaps you have the known throttle body harness abrasion issue causing some electrical drop outs?  As for pairing, it shouldn't be an issue.  Very weird.

It's not a deal breaker really.  Just a niggle that can be overcome with the right level of diagnosis  :happy2:

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 10:00:53 pm »
It's the styling difference.   3 door has the lovely raised haunches at the back, which gives the MK5 it's classic wedge look.   The 5 door has a flat, boring glass line which totally loses that styling cue.

This is what I mean:

What the VW engineers wanted and designed.  3 door beauty.  The essence of MK5.

What the marketing people and families who can't be bothered to tilt the front seats forward wanted:

There is no comparison. 3 door all day long.......but marketing and family access wins because 3 door Golfs are being dropped  :ashamed:

Anyway, each to our own.  5 door saloons, yep, no problem.  Hatchbacks, sorry, they need to be 3 door  :smiley:

That's a strange one with the throttle and ECU pairing.  There is only 1 throttle for the MK5.  Later revised with a 'Q' part number suffix and made by Continental as opposed to the factory fit VDO unit, but only 1 throttle available, and only 1 ECU, with the '115L' part number suffix.   Perhaps you have the known throttle body harness abrasion issue causing some electrical drop outs?  As for pairing, it shouldn't be an issue.  Very weird.

It's not a deal breaker really.  Just a niggle that can be overcome with the right level of diagnosis  :happy2:

You see I prefer the looks of the 5, as well as the pracitcallity! Maybe I'm weird!

As for the ECU it's very frustrating.  First time round they diagnosed the limp mode as a broken throttle body, then when they fitted the new one it wouldn't speak with the ECU - they sent it off and the ECU guys agreed there was a fault on the ECU, for which I paid for a repair.  Seems to fix it, no issues for 14-15 months until now.

I might mention the abrasion when I pick it up tomorrow, see what they say.

Offline Sparkie90

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 10:18:57 pm »
I like both the three and five doors, but would probably say the five looks actually neater somehow. It still has haunches, the glass line isn't flat. I'd say over the whole market for the GTI that five doors are more in demand although a big chunk of younger buyers (a lot of guys on here) the three door would be preferred as the consensus. For me if I wanted a three door shape I'd be tempted to go for the Scirocco  :surprised:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 10:40:42 pm »
That is weird.  I've never heard of a MK5 ECU failing in that way, very rare! Glad it's sorted though.

With the body styling, I just like the rear quarter panel to be uncorrupted by door shut lines.  It just seems to flow better visually.   The Scirocco is a great example of that, and indeed the Corrado.  They just wouldn't look right with 5 doors......unless maybe they did a sneaky rear door like the Mazda RX8's great 5 door design.

With the MK7, you can see VW have clearly moved away from the raised backside.  The 3 and 5 door look very similar.  The MK7 5 door looks a lot better than the MK5 5 door, imo  :smiley:

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 11:39:59 am »
i prefer the 3 door but had to get a 5 door due to me having 4 kids

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 04:19:37 pm »
I'm converted to 5 door where the MK7 is concerned, looking at those examples above.  Maybe it's just white, but 5 door looks better.  I concede  :grin:

Offline mk1mad

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2018, 11:58:45 am »
Another point often overlooked in the 3 door 5 door debate is that the 5 door is 40kg heavier. So not only do 3 doors look better they are faster !

Edition 30
Golf Mk1 5vT

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2018, 02:28:42 pm »
Just to try an steer this thread back on track.

My ED30 is approaching 75k miles also but i do less than 7k miles a year so not overly concerned. OP - you mention you feel guilty about putting miles on the car - dont be. They are designed to be driven and enjoyed, not to be garage queens in dry storage somewhere.
As much as we might like to think so, the MK5 Golf GTI is not that special - its just an everyday hot hatch. Its designed to be a daily driver and that’s how you should use it, as a daily car without the guilt of adding mileage.

Rich

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2018, 03:26:18 pm »
Just to try an steer this thread back on track.

My ED30 is approaching 75k miles also but i do less than 7k miles a year so not overly concerned. OP - you mention you feel guilty about putting miles on the car - dont be. They are designed to be driven and enjoyed, not to be garage queens in dry storage somewhere.
As much as we might like to think so, the MK5 Golf GTI is not that special - its just an everyday hot hatch. Its designed to be a daily driver and that’s how you should use it, as a daily car without the guilt of adding mileage.

Rich

I see where you're coming from, but putting 20k a year on a limited run of 200 pirellis just feels irresponsible, haha.  Wouldn't think twice about putting it on a standard GTi.

Offline gtipirelli

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • Golf GTi Pirelli
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 03:25:53 pm »
In the whole scheme of things, these cars are now so cheap I would not bother about the mileage you are putting on it. It is not as if you are going to lose £7k per year in depreciation when that is all it is worth anyway

I love driving mine and would be sorry to see it go but bigger and bette things await

Get out and enjoy it, they still get appreciative looks from other road users. I have had two strangers give me the thumbs up in the last 12 months and the car is 9 years old !!
Golf GTi Pirelli - Diamond Black, 5 Door - SOLD
now 718 Cayman S PDK