Make a donation

Author Topic: Insurance and mods?  (Read 2453 times)

Offline Black9

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
Insurance and mods?
« on: February 25, 2018, 03:09:06 am »
Bit of a grey area, I’ve got a C63 which is stock but has the forged wheels from the upper model ( edition 507 ) and calipers painted green rather than stock silver. Would this count as a mod and possible invalidate my insurance?

Offline chigmuss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 16
Re: Insurance and mods?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 01:29:03 pm »
Very likely. Declare them, it may not affect your premium much if at all, but for the sake of a few pound worth it to negate a claim being rejected. (How often that happens I'm not sure though)

Offline m1keh

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 03:55:44 pm »
Some insurers want winter tyres declaring, so a wheel change I would at least let them know.

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 04:38:28 pm »
I can imagine that any change from stock would be regarded as a mod and is best disclosed. Some insurers like Greenlight don’t charge extra for changes to wheels / brakes / suspension.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 05:57:13 pm »
if it didnt come from factory like that then its a mod your insurance company should known about

Offline Bazgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 12:45:55 pm »
I find it unlikely that any assesor from an insurance company would know that your alloys are from the model above unless you told them. Id also argue that if a modification was made by the previous owner and you didnt declare it cos you was unaware of it. The insurance wpuld struggle to legally invalidate your insurance. Cars have that mpney options and upgrades these days. Its surely impossible to define factory fit and modification to an assesor unless it was absolutely noticeable like a body kit etc

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 04:11:44 pm »
Don't underestimate the lengths some insurers will go to to wriggle out of a claim, but I agree, it's difficult for them to prove you were ignorant about the car's spec at the time of purchase.......although Black9 has shot himself in the foot should insurers frequent forums to look for evidence  :grin:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline petem86

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 07:36:02 am »
id imagine let them know, the difference between standard and s2 for my golf was 30 quid with flux