Make a donation

Author Topic: 05 AXX GTI Started with missfire under load now wont start - now running smokey  (Read 5153 times)

Offline _dubstar_

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Good afternoon,

I start this thread with a little trepidation, I've read countless other posts and have seen newbies met with "search is your friend" and "have you heard of google?!!". I have also been warned not to start threads that have been covered before but when I tried to reply on a similar thread I get the following:

"Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 90 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic."

I also really wanted to contribute before asking questions but so far, my Mk5 journey has not gone well. I currently also own MK1 gti and Mk4 V5 and have had 2's and 3's gti so not new to the VAG world but this is my first mk5 and so far not so good.

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,109638.msg1060827.html#msg1060827

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,108488.msg1050653.msg.html#1050653

The above threads are pretty similar to what I have but don’t really conclude and also my mk5 has now presented a slightly more finite issue:

it’s a 2005 AXX manual with 97k miles. Car drove fine when purchased in January. Not wanting to take any risks and as my ownership of gtis averages 10 years plus i thought i would treat the car to a full service whilst replacing a few common parts known to fail, as a long-term precaution. Prevention is usually better than cure. These were:

Oil & filter change, air & pollen filter
Genuine V1k0201051K fuel filter from VW checked for correct bar against VIN
OEM Red 'R8' Ignition Coil Pack
ECS OEM PCV Breather Update Kit 2.0T FSI
OEM 1.8T/2.0T/2.5T Piston Diverter Valve 06H 145 710D    
2.0TFSI Cam Follower Replacement Kit    
NGK Iridium X Spark Plug Set
New Battery

Car was transformed after this, absolutely flew. I was genuinely shocked, I owned a 2.9 VR6 Corrado for 12 years which had a lot of performance mods including Schrick manifold etc and the Mk5 felt much peppier and wanted to spin the tyres in most gears. (I don’t thrash cars, always wait for oil to warm up and bring them up to speed gently but it is a GTI and i was curious)
Anyway it ran perfectly for a few weeks of timid around town driving, probably only 100 miles covered. Took it on a bit of a run, dual carriageway for 30 miles at speed and under load it would judder, normally only in 5th or 6th. Felt like coil packs or even fuelling. This got progressively worse quickly and to the point it would start but as soon as it warmed up would present the issue in all gears at all speeds. Took it to a local mechanic i have used for a long time and he got an error on his generic code reader of misfire on cylinder 2, swapped the coil pack with 3 and retested and low and behold the misfire had followed; simple but strange, the new coil pack had failed we thought - easy fix. Even though the fault code had followed from one cylinder to another the car now seemed to run fine, all be it only on idle and driving round the yard. Went to start it a few hours later and wouldn't start. I’ve today run a diagnostics with a genuine ross tech VCDS HEX-V2 and no fault codes.....except the car wont start, just turns over - can smell fuel. VCDS showed the following:

Address 01: Engine        Labels:. 06F-907-115-AXX.clb
Part No SW: 1K0 907 115     HW: 1K0 907 115
Component: 2.0l R4/4V TFSI  00 0070 
Revision: --H01---    Serial number: VWZ7Z0D1158774
Coding: 0403000318070060
Shop #: WSC 41126 001 1048576
VCID: 639352C49751C42F0FA-8036
No fault code found.
Readiness: 0110 0101

Swapped all 4 new coil packs for the old ones which looked in good condition and still nothing, no fault codes and just turns over, wont fire. Before I fork out for injectors is it worth trying anything else? o2 sensor maybe, exhaust is in poor condition and is on my hit list.

Apologies if I have broken some forum faux pas on my first outing but rest assured if (when) I get the damn thing running i will start contributing!!

thanks in advance
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 11:03:55 am by _dubstar_ »

Offline _dubstar_

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: 05 AXX GTI Started with a missfire under load now wont start
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 04:29:51 pm »
Well, after hours of sitting in the cold going through measuring blocks on vcds and god knows how many other diagnostics (with no fault codes showing) we finally took the plugs out.....I know. Number 2 electrode was almost gone. They had probably 100 miles on them and were recommended to run with the R8 coil packs which were all installed new at the same time. I'll try and get some pictures up but I will be looking into this as I'm not happy.

Offline Pesky jones

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 04:49:46 pm »
NGK BKR7EIX?

Where did you get them from? There are fakes floating around.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 06:04:38 pm »
I have heard of the electrode breaking off on the BKR7EIX plugs, but I've not experienced that personally.  They are superb plugs.  Run a lot smoother than the OEM platinums.

Genuine NGKs have Russian text on the packet, fakes do not.  Google it, there's a good video about how to spot fake NGKs.

I only buy my plugs from sparkplugs.co.uk.   I've been using them for over a decade, really good supplier and only supply genuine plugs.

But back track a little bit and consider a possible issue.  Could that cylinder be running lean because of an injector fault, which prematurely caused the plug to fail?

I also hope the detached electrode passed through the turbine wheel without chipping it.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline _dubstar_

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 08:24:20 pm »

Thanks for the replies Pesky & Pudding - they were purchased with the coil pack and all other service items from Awesome GTI direct. BKR7EIX

Spot the duff one...

Offline v4rley

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 104
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 08:30:39 pm »
Would be interested to see the tops of the plugs as the writing seems similar to fakes  :thinking:

Offline _dubstar_

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 08:34:36 pm »
I would be a little peed off if a reputable distributor was allegedly selling fakes.

i would like to know as if they are genuine It does make me wonder if it could be an underlying fault. I am a bit disappointed with the VCDS cable. I purchased a genuine cable for this particular fault and found nothing, it said engine was showing no faults. Now that its a runner there should be measuring blocks that were disabled before that i can investigate but would anyone know where to start? Even a dodgy injector wouldn't cause that sort of melting so quickly? thought the iridium ones were high end?

Ive put some PFR7S8EG 1675 NGK which are OE spec and purchased from Euro car parts as they were round the corner, it was 5.30pm, howling wind and rain and i just wanted to get the car home.

And you're correct Pesky - they do have Russian Cyrillic script on the box.

Offline _dubstar_

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 08:40:11 pm »

Offline v4rley

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 08:55:36 pm »
By no means am in suggesting there are fakes and very much doubt they are. it’s hard to tell the intensity or alignment of the writing with them being in hand. If the top is dimpled they are genuine, and would be able to see that in a photo.

Offline _dubstar_

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 09:47:35 pm »
Hi v4rley, I knew what you meant  :happy2: I just chose to articulate a response it in a completely ambiguous way, mainly because of potential litigation! As if they were (which of course they aren't) of dubious origin i would of course be miffed but also happy as it means I haven't bought a lemon.

hopefully some better images

Offline v4rley

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 10:11:01 pm »
Yeah that’s fine just didn’t want to seem to be blaming people. Photos are better but the one of the tip,is focused on the background not the plug  :signLOL: i was intrigued as I have recently discovered mine were fakes  :sick:

Sorry I cannot help more with your issue  :sad1:

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2018, 06:44:46 am »
Yeah better pics needed as I cannot see the dimple in the top of the spark plug as its not focused correctly
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2018, 01:28:00 pm »
I don't think they are fakes.  They look original to me at first glance.  Have you still got the original packet they came in, just to be sure?

The coils are genuine at least, they do come with that green dielectric grease if you buy them from Audi.

What I would say is your engine is not happy looking at those plugs.  Filthy rich and it's the ground strap which has melted away, not the electrode as I first thought.  That really is not good and suggests extremely hot cylinder temps in that bore.  Soot on the base of the plug is fine and normal, but the electrode and ground strap should be grey and dry.   

The broken one does look sootier than the other 3, so I reckon you have a bad injector, which would explain very high egts.   You can get soaring EGTs from both lean and rich burns, but yours is defo too rich.

Time for some logging.  See what the short term trims are, and also the requested/actual lambda.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline _dubstar_

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2018, 05:38:48 pm »
Thanks Pudding, I think you may be on to something. I changed back to the uprated coil packs and fitted the new OE double platinum NGK plugs. it runs super smooth and feels very responsive. It did smoke like a chimney when I first took it over a few thousand revs but after 15 minutes of enthusiastic driving it was completely clear. took it out again 4 hours later and it was no way as smoky it would smoke under (very) heavy load. I will run some graphs as suggested and report back. But yes iffy injector and/or a previous map that's causing over fuelling. I only say this as a couple of experienced VAG people have driven it (when its working) and seem to think it may have been remapped.

Offline _dubstar_

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
Just took it for another drive with the VCDS advanced measuring on. no idea which ones i should be logging so just picked 12 "enginey" sounding ones. there was a ton of smoke again on the first couple of heavy accelerations and a tad lumpy but nothing once warmed up - Will post the log in a second.

After the drive i got the following faults show up:

« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 02:38:04 pm by _dubstar_ »