Make a donation

Author Topic: Electronic Steering  (Read 1196 times)

Online delob

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 5
Electronic Steering
« on: March 10, 2018, 07:26:53 pm »
I got to drive a MK7 Gti for the day yesterday and to be honest I wasn't blown away. The cabin was certainly nicer than my MK5 but apart from that it didn't really feel like the game had moved on. It was standard spec whereas mine has a few tweeks so straight line performance was very comparable. Power delivery was probably a bit more linear. My main gripe was the steering. It felt over assisted and lacked the feedback of my MK5. Far as I know they both have electronic steering so I was wondering if anybody knows why the feel is so different?
Graphite Blue MK5 GTI

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Electronic Steering
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 01:22:38 pm »
Yep.  I whole heartedly agree.  I have regular use of a 7.5 GTD and have driven the 7.5 GTI and R.   I'm not blown away either.   Structurally just as solid as the MK5, but far better screwed together inside....but everything is all too familiar.  More of a refresh than an evolution.

As you say, the steering is  numb and devoid of any feel what so ever.  Cars in this sector need accurate feedback to place the car confidently in the twisties.  If it wasn't for the fact the MK7's structure is VERY responsive to steering inputs, I would have zero clue what levels of grip the front tyres have.  It's just the isolation methods filtering out feedback, and possibly from adding a bunch more caster, but I haven't checked the 7's chassis specs.

If the steering feel isn't bad enough, you need to experience the 7R's combined DSG and turbo lag scenarios to realise it's not the car everyone thinks it is.

It may be the factory fit tyres.  Pirellis in the case of the GTD I use.  It's definitely a platform ripe for improvements, just like Johnny 5.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 01:24:49 pm by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Online delob

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 04:46:36 pm »
Funny that you mention tyres as they were the first thing I looked at after a blast along my favourite section of B-road. It was on Pirelli P7's with plenty of thread but the understeer was alarming. The road was a bit damp but no standing water. Maybe I am being a bit harsh and different tyres would sort the understeer but doubt they would fix the numb steering. I am currently running Uniroyal Rainsport 3 and find them excellent in wet conditions.
And what about the lack of noise? No real induction or exhaust note. Again I am probably being harsh but given the difference in market values of the two models I couldn't justify the extra outlay to get a MK7 on my drive. Maybe when market values come down and with a few sensible mods I could see myself in one but I am sticking with the MK5 for the moment.
Graphite Blue MK5 GTI

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 06:10:40 pm »
I had the same experience when I test drove the MK7 GTI. The steering didn't feel as connected as in the MK5. The interior was "nicer" but to all intents and purposes the same as the MK5 (though that may not be a bad thing). Driving it was unexciting compared the when I test drove the MK5.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 09:47:53 am »
I've never liked Pirelli tyres, so they probably go some way to killing the steering feel, but the MQB platform just doesn't have any anyway!   It's not being harsh if you don't like it, it's a buyers market.  Newer doesn't automatically = better like a lot of people seem to think.

I guess the MK5 formula is one that works because VW have stuck with it.  MK7 front seats bolt right in, so they have spent very little updating the core structure, and they have cheaped out in other areas too - plastic sumps, pressed steel subframes, pressed steel wishbones, iron hubs etc etc.  All the money has been piled into the 'perceived quality' items such as the interior to keep non-car enthusiasts happy.

If the MK8 is just another refresh and not an evolution, I can't see myself getting a brand new Golf again.  The rest of the world has caught up with the Germans, and if they don't up their game soon, they will get left behind.  And let's not forget VAG's global deceit and gassing monkeys  :stupid:   Kind of ironic really, given the history of VW and it's founder having a penchant for gas!  History repeating itself  :grin:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D