Make a donation

Author Topic: Calipers - S3 8v Will they fit?  (Read 8554 times)

Offline Rob1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 24
Re: Calipers - S3 8v Will they fit?
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2018, 09:00:15 pm »
If you got them for as little as £120 it's maybe worth paying a bit extra to get them refurbished with new seals etc.

I got some PP calipers off ebay for a decent price (see main thread) but I've had problems for a while and I'm pretty sure one of the pistons is sticking. Point is, I've spent dead money on fitting the calipers, knackering discs, and now I'm replacing the lot with brand new calipers pads and discs. The calipers coming off will of course be getting a full rebuild before I move them on.

I just think for a little extra cash you can have the peace of mind that you're not going to end up with costly issues. I risked it, and lost out. Lesson learnt!

Any idea what you might sell the PP calipers sell for?
Black Ed30

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2018, 09:02:22 pm »
If you got them for as little as £120 it's maybe worth paying a bit extra to get them refurbished with new seals etc.

I got some PP calipers off ebay for a decent price (see main thread) but I've had problems for a while and I'm pretty sure one of the pistons is sticking. Point is, I've spent dead money on fitting the calipers, knackering discs, and now I'm replacing the lot with brand new calipers pads and discs. The calipers coming off will of course be getting a full rebuild before I move them on.

I just think for a little extra cash you can have the peace of mind that you're not going to end up with costly issues. I risked it, and lost out. Lesson learnt!

Any idea what you might sell the PP calipers sell for?
No idea yet but depending on the cost of refurb maybe 250-300. I'll make sure they're like new.

Offline Rob1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2018, 09:04:44 pm »
Cheers guys I’ll look into that.
On another note do you guys know if the mk7r discs are a straight swap for the mk5?
With the bigger calipers from the R32/6R/S3/Cupra, yes. With factory fitted calipers on a GTI, no.
Thanks Shoduchi, what was would the following be a straight swap on my mk5 or would I need anything else?
Black Ed30

Offline neilw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2018, 09:39:47 am »

Thanks, good, advice. I'm going to be in no rush to put them on the car. My current disks and pads have loads of life left in then. I probably put them to one side until the time comes to r-tech the car.
Edition30 #0002 R-Tech Stage2

Offline neilw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2018, 09:42:19 am »
On another note do you guys know if the mk7r discs are a straight swap for the mk5?
With the bigger calipers from the R32/6R/S3/Cupra, yes. With factory fitted calipers on a GTI, no.
Thanks Shoduchi, what was would the following be a straight swap on my mk5 or would I need anything else?

I think you'll just need bigger dust shields (Or whatever they call them)

The Clubsport S disks will go on if you don't mind dropping £300 on them

Offline Rob1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2018, 10:48:38 am »

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Black Ed30

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2018, 10:58:44 am »

You don't need bigger dust shields. It's fine with the factory fitted ones. I'm using 350 mm discs with factory dust shields.

But if you really want to get bigger dust shields you can fit the dust shields from the R32/6R/S3 8P/Cupra 1P.

Offline neilw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2018, 02:30:30 pm »

You don't need bigger dust shields. It's fine with the factory fitted ones. I'm using 350 mm discs with factory dust shields.

But if you really want to get bigger dust shields you can fit the dust shields from the R32/6R/S3 8P/Cupra 1P.

Thanks. That's good to know

Offline Rob1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2018, 06:16:13 pm »
Cheers Shoduchi your a wisdom of knowledge 👍
Black Ed30

Offline Mk5. EWC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2018, 09:58:26 pm »

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 77
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2018, 11:26:00 pm »
No

Offline neilw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You

Offline Mk5. EWC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2018, 09:39:32 pm »
https://www.mtecbrakes.com/brake-discs/audi/s3-2013/s3-2-0-quattro-05-13.html

Vented Diameter: 340.0 Thickness: 30.0 Minimum Thickness: 27.0 Height: 50.0 Bore Diameter: 65.0 Studs: 5

These are 340mm for an S3 does this look like the correct fitment? Want to get these on before my service as brake fluid is due! What brake fluid is recommended for these too.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2018, 03:56:56 pm »
Yep.

Anything DOT4 or DOT5.1 with a decent boiling point will do.

I recommend brake assembly lube with sliding caliper brakes as well.  The proper ceramic stuff, not copper grease.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline neilw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2018, 10:05:36 pm »
Arrived today, they look good and massive....

One is missing the rubber boots on the slider but that's easily sorted.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 10:09:11 pm by neilw »