Make a donation

Author Topic: Front Suspension Work Cost?  (Read 1790 times)

Offline JTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 1
Front Suspension Work Cost?
« on: March 19, 2018, 10:18:31 pm »
Hi

I'm after a bit of advice. Got advisories for the following on my last MOT from VW and the price to fix...

Front Springs Corroded - £225
Front Rearmost Wishbone Bushes Deteriorated - £135
NSF Wishbone Front Bush Slight Play - £137
Total - £497

My MOT is due in May and I want to remedy these before then rather than being stung by VW as I'm pretty certain they'll be flagged as immediate attention needed this time.

I was wondering what should I look for as a more realistic price for this work from a non-VW garage?

Thanks.

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
Re: Front Suspension Work Cost?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 05:57:36 am »
This sounds like a good opportunity to replace with anti-lift kit, stiffer front bushings and lower springs like VWR / Eibach etc. It would be rude not to save @6kg of unsprung weight by using alloy control arms and hubs whilst you have the opportunity, though these can be sourced pretty cheaply off Passat B6 rather than S3. Your overall bill will be much the same but you will end up with a better handling and more responsive steering.

Offline JTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 10:02:07 pm »
^Very tempted to go down that route but I've got cam belt and water pump to do also and a couple of other jobs so all will add up so just going to stay stock for now. I'm guessing the springs at least could be done for a lot less than £225?

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 11:40:08 pm »
If that price is for both springs & includes parts, labour and VAT at a VW dealer then I doubt you'll get a lot cheaper to be honest.

Offline JTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 11:50:53 pm »
^I believe that's all in. Well that sucks, I'd hoped to shave maybe £50 or so across each job and save a bit. At this rate I might as well just send to to MOT and see what happens :/