Make a donation

Author Topic: Puncture pains  (Read 3126 times)

Offline hunt808

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Puncture pains
« on: March 22, 2018, 10:31:12 am »
We are running a 2006 GTi on standard 18" alloys, and until last year never had an issue with the tyres. We put them on, they went a bit bald, we changed them and got on with our lives   :wink:

That's until we moved to the Suffolk countryside. We've now had FIVE punctures in the last six months. The missus came limping back home this morning, a couple of minutes after leaving for work with another damn puncture. I'm absolutely tearing my hair out. The mobile Kwik-fit guy spends more time at our house than his own.

Yes, the roads are a bit caked in mud at this time of year and the verges are rough. There are potholes, but the missus takes the same 30 minute route to work each day and has the bad ones mapped out. She insists she rarely hits one and certainly didn't this morning, having driven less than a mile. Any idea what the hell is going on?! I'm wondering whether it's the low profile tyres and we should drop down to 17" alloys. I assume tyres to fit those would have larger sidewalls and be less prone to pinch punctures, or have I got that wrong??? We love our Mk 5 and don't have any desire, or money, to change cars right now...and even less since we've now spent over £700 on tyres since September   :sad1:

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Offline hunt808

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Puncture pains
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 11:56:03 am »
Just a quick addition: I checked what sort of puncture we've had this time and yet again, the whole tyre wall is ripped along the inside edge (hard to see, but I'd say it's at least a 6" tear).

Offline hunt808

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 11:56:12 am »
Just a quick addition: I checked what sort of puncture we've had this time and yet again, the whole tyre wall is ripped along the inside edge (hard to see, but I'd say it's at least a 6" tear).

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 12:03:33 pm »
I also live in Suffolk and have only had 2 punctures in 20 years!  :grin:   

You are either seriously unlucky and keep finding nails fallen off the back a trade vehicld, or you might have a crack or corrosion related hole in the wheel.   

Take the wheel off and pop it into a bath of water to look for air bubbles, in particular the wheel itself.  If no air leaking from the wheel, check the valve and then beads, and finally the tread.

I wouldn't drop to 17s personally, you may not like the softened turn-in feel, or get 17s with stiff sidewalls like Bridgestone.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 12:04:26 pm »
I replied a little late, but a 6" gash is no good!  Pinch punctures then, but do also get the wheel checked for cracks and buckles!

Offline hunt808

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 02:50:56 pm »
The tyres that have blown have been Michelin, and this morning it was a Bridgestone. Punctures on three different wheels so far.

Mobile tyre guy booked again for Monday. Not sure what else to do apart from get some smaller alloys.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 04:11:57 pm »
Not much you can do other than being more vigilant.   Taller profile tyres will only prolong the inevitable for a short time.

I would be requesting compensation from the council, but you'll need to provide pictures of the potholes.  5 impact related punctures is completely unreasonable.

Offline Dogma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 04:33:14 pm »
Not much you can do other than being more vigilant.   Taller profile tyres will only prolong the inevitable for a short time.

I would be requesting compensation from the council, but you'll need to provide pictures of the potholes.  5 impact related punctures is completely unreasonable.

At National Tyers you could insure them for punchers and you could get a new tyre if they were unable to fix depending on tyre tread.

Handy if your running expensive tyers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MK5 ED30

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 04:44:36 pm »
That's probably a good idea the way the roads are these days!

Offline Dogma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Puncture pains
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 09:14:40 am »
That's probably a good idea the way the roads are these days!

Indeed I got a free replacement tyre , as they were unable to repair. Happy days.

Mind you I’ve not replaced my tyres for a long time due to the fact I don’t drive my cars much at the moment.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 09:26:18 am by Dogma »
MK5 ED30

Offline markrtw

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 05:32:09 pm »
Have you checked there is nothing on the car that the tyre has caught on? Maybe a broken spring coil sticking out and ripping the sidewall?

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 06:39:12 pm »
Have you checked there is nothing on the car that the tyre has caught on? Maybe a broken spring coil sticking out and ripping the sidewall?
Good thinking, especially as it's on the inside edge.

Offline hunt808

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2018, 09:24:01 pm »
A quick update on this. Turned out I had slow(ish) punctures on three wheels caused by corrosion of the inside of the alloys. The tyres must have been going down to a point where a pothole could cause the rim to bite into the rubber. They were losing so much pressure that I was pumping the buggers up every day!

Solved the problem with a full alloy refurb. No more flat tyres and the car looks like new again!

£100 a corner well spent.

Offline Dogma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2018, 09:23:41 am »
Glad you sorted

£100 per wheel sounds expensive to me.

MK5 ED30