Make a donation

Author Topic: New boiler 30kw Suggestions / prices, please ??  (Read 5480 times)

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
New boiler 30kw Suggestions / prices, please ??
« on: March 29, 2018, 06:18:13 pm »
Any thoughts on this please?  2 Bed 2nd storey Flat, 30 Kw min Any recs, also what rough split between boiler cost and fitting appreciated. It's a rental property, but my lad might take it over at some point, so want a decent one.

Cheers

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: New boiler 30kw Suggestions / prices, please ??
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 07:39:40 pm »
Worcester or Vaillant if you want 'decent'.   What kind of boiler do you need?  Combi (on demand) or System (hot water tank)?

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 08:21:53 pm »
Good point, sorry, yes it's a combi

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 11:23:53 am »
Just to add to the mix, the problem with the old boiler is the fan has stopped working properly, so shutting down, and the plumber said it was an obsolete part, but he could fit new boiler - ha ha. I was present at the time, so heard his conversation with two of his suppliers yesterday, but looks like there are a few fans still available, by shopping around on the tinterweb.

Boiler is 20 years old, so am I just wasting money on say £3-400 on replacing the fan, or should I put it towards anew boiler, as per original post - views welcome, please?

ta :thinking:

willni

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 11:40:17 am »
Just to add to the mix, the problem with the old boiler is the fan has stopped working properly, so shutting down, and the plumber said it was an obsolete part, but he could fit new boiler - ha ha. I was present at the time, so heard his conversation with two of his suppliers yesterday, but looks like there are a few fans still available, by shopping around on the tinterweb.

Boiler is 20 years old, so am I just wasting money on say £3-400 on replacing the fan, or should I put it towards anew boiler, as per original post - views welcome, please?

ta :thinking:

Well there’s grant available for new boilers so I’d start there to see f you’re eligible, and of course the other question is £3-400 for a fan which could still give you problems or the possibility of a more efficient boiler at a higher cost but can justify the value of it after x amount of years of savings versus the old boiler.

Really depends if you’re planning on moving at some point in the future. Also sometimes it’s cheaper to hire a plumber from Northern Ireland I’ve known a few who have been 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=2v8m0hhru1vc862m6hkued3la6&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 12:39:29 pm »
Id go new boiler rather than that repair. We have a Worcester 30CDi and its ran pretty much flawlessly for 6 years. I say pretty much, because we have had the pipe freeze a few times but thats not the boilers fault.

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 12:50:52 pm »
I find this site spot on for answering my plumbing questions

http://tomplum.boards.net

No joining up needed, just ask your question and they'll give the answer - they pointed me to a parts place for a fan third of the price I was quoted elsewhere.

http://tomplum.boards.net/thread/1529/good-site-boiler-fans

They also have the answer to your freezing problem Rich - a retro fit kit from Worcester with a video if I remember correctly

http://tomplum.boards.net/thread/3098/burst-pipes
https://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/support/literature/download/87161165590
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 01:14:58 pm by doylebros »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 12:11:35 pm »
We paid approx £1000 for a Worcester Combi (can't remember the KW rating) for the gf's victorian house last year, fitting was about another £1000 on top.

But the latter price varies enormously depending on the state of the existing installation and any pipework required.   Our install was expensive because she needed the gas feed pipe uprating to 28mm at the meter, then 22mm from there to the boiler - one end of the house to other.  It was a long expanse of piping that had to go over an RSJ.  It just depends what the pressure drop is at the boiler.   It took them 3 days and were very experienced BG engineers.

Boiler makers won't honour the warranty if the pressure drop is borderline or under the min requirements, so I hope your gas lines aren't 15mm!

If you are lucky and your installation is out with the old, in with the new, you'll only be a looking at half a day's labour.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 10:10:02 am »
Thanks for all of the replies - have BG coming to give me a quote tomorrow (Tuesday). It should be a straightforward old combi out; new one in, in same place, pipework all ok, but I'm betting it will be north of £2k, even with their 10% off promo - I'll update after they've been.

Cheers everyone

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 05:11:09 pm »
We paid approx £1000 for a Worcester Combi (can't remember the KW rating) for the gf's victorian house last year, fitting was about another £1000 on top.

But the latter price varies enormously depending on the state of the existing installation and any pipework required.   Our install was expensive because she needed the gas feed pipe uprating to 28mm at the meter, then 22mm from there to the boiler - one end of the house to other.  It was a long expanse of piping that had to go over an RSJ.  It just depends what the pressure drop is at the boiler.   It took them 3 days and were very experienced BG engineers.

Boiler makers won't honour the warranty if the pressure drop is borderline or under the min requirements, so I hope your gas lines aren't 15mm!

If you are lucky and your installation is out with the old, in with the new, you'll only be a looking at half a day's labour.

£1000 ! Ripped off  :scared:
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 03:07:26 pm »
Thought you'd be interested in an update....

B Gas quote £3,999, that's after their 10% promo discount (yeah!).

This includes:-
-  £1200 worcester boiler (only 24KW mind, not the 30 KW I wanted - see below)
- £1000 scaffolding to get to the Flue (second storey flat)
- the other £2k is installation; VAT; upgrading the size of the gas pipe from the garage basement from 22mm, to 38mm for a 3 m run, and upgrading the pipe supply from under the sink in the flat from 15mm, to 22mm (he said that would give enough pressure for a 24KW boiler, not a 30 KW); flush; magnetic trap filter, and a few other bits (no new controls, just keep the existing wired thermostat, and existing TRV's). Great

Only 10 flats in the block, and several have replaced their boilers, but no one else has had their gas supply pipe upgraded (all meters and supply pipes visible in the garage basement).

Managed to get a Genuine new Gloworm fan and Thermo-couple from the tinterweb, and getting engineer to fit - should be circa £300 fitted. I cant justify £4000 on a new BG boiler and risk the tenant bashing the cabinet, or cleaning it with a scotchbrite pad  - that would really hack me off.

Thanks for the suggestions and comments - a great place to bounce problems off - cheers

Offline kam760

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
  • On the search for an edition 30.
  • My Ride: On the search for one...
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 11:24:04 pm »
I got a vaillant. Paid 1.2k for it then £500 for a local guy to fit it. Slightly cheaper than Worcester but the main benefit is servicing and repairs are much easier due to the layout . Also consider baxi due to their warranty