Make a donation

Author Topic: MFSW and New stereo unit query  (Read 2244 times)

Offline Ads22

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
MFSW and New stereo unit query
« on: March 30, 2018, 01:24:07 pm »
Hi there
Apologies for lack of knowledge but trying to investigate into fitting MFSW controls to my Manual 55reg. Not so fussed about Cruise control. The plan is at some point to upgrade the head unit too.
As mine is non DSG what would I need to fit Multi function controls and is it an expensive option. I want to avoid buying a completely new wheel.
Im hoping to combine this with a new head unit, so am contemplating aftermarket vs VW option. Do aftermarket units match well with controls.
In terms of head units something with bluetooth would be handy but not essential. Not fussed about Satnav - Ive had a look at a few but theres so many options from VW and aftermarket, i understand the VW stereos are more of course.
Sorry as it may seem like to different queries but am taking into account both items when looking to upgrade.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 01:25:38 pm by Ads22 »

Offline neilw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 26
Re: MFSW and New stereo unit query
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 01:31:23 pm »
MFSW is easy enough to install. you need the correct steering wheel controller and the ability to code it. Plenty of info n the forum. You can swap the controls in from a donor wheel - Passat ones are cheap, but as you have a manual it means taking a kinfe to you existing wheel and cutting out the required area.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Passat-B6-Leather-Multi-Functional-Steering-Wheel/222876401612?hash=item33e477ffcc:g:igEAAOSwQN5afGRL

You need something like this to interface with the aftermarket headunit

https://catalog.autoleads.co.uk/catalog/steering-wheel-control-adaptors-cp2/cp2-vag52

« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 01:49:52 pm by neilw »
Edition30 #0002 R-Tech Stage2

Offline Ads22

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 09:50:01 pm »
@neilw Thanks for advice. So seems to be possible with aftermarket stereo. Would i also be right in thinking that the steering wheel slip ring also needs to be changed.

Offline Ads22

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 06:59:34 pm »
I have been looking into as to whether the MFSW controls are really worth the effort. Seems i will likely need a new wheel and control module. Mine is a Manual so theres no space under the blanking plates. Its also a mid line dash display and have discovered that some have issues with being unable to change tracks and radio station with mid line. Is this true as it seems a lot of hassle to fit this to only gain volume and mute buttons.