Make a donation

Author Topic: RESOLVED- DSG issue or Accelerator Pedal issue?  (Read 1767 times)

Offline schmidt_vr6

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
RESOLVED- DSG issue or Accelerator Pedal issue?
« on: April 04, 2018, 10:30:17 am »
Hi Guys.

Started my GTI yesterday and drove for 20 miles was fine changing gears in D mode. Then the car stopped changing gears in D mode, Like it was stuck in 3rd gear at 4000RPM. (Usually it would change up to 4th Gear). I had to manually change it to higher gear.

Then it was fine after that. until it did it again and i stopped the car and switched engine off. started it all back up and it was fine again.

I then manually took it upto 6th gear to see if i was to brake slowly would it downshift OK. (all this was ok).

Until the accelerator stopped picking up the revs. Like i'd press down the gas pedal and it would rev, If i let go and tried again it would not pick up the rev.

Now my thinking is... Is my accelerator pedal at fault hence why its not changing gears up in D mode? its very intermittent.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 04:49:03 pm by schmidt_vr6 »

Offline Pesky jones

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 18
Re: DSG issue or Accelerator Pedal issue?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 10:34:18 am »
Scan with VCDS.

Could be the metalic strip around the bearing in one of the hubs has corroded. There is a sensor which reads data off this strip. With DSG, if the bearing/hub is faulty, gear changes will be affected.

Scan, look for an ABS related code on one of the wheels.

Offline schmidt_vr6

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 10:55:15 am »
You know what Pesky Jones. My abs light came on few days ago and it was rear right. But then when i scanned it and deleted the code. It didn't come back. so i ruled that out. But possibility the fault lies there.

Offline schmidt_vr6

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 11:00:44 am »
Also are there 2 types of rear abs sensors or bearings on the MK5's? Mine is a 2005 plate.

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 12:56:47 pm »
There are, and id put money on yours being a 30mm internal diameter hub. But dont hold me to it. Technically, it could be either the 30 or 32mm and even with your VIN, the dealer can't tell you.

Also, replace it with a FAG bearing from euros, or a genuine hub. Cheaper aftermarket hubs tend to be a bit rubbish.

Offline schmidt_vr6

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
RESOLVED - DSG issue or Accelerator Pedal issue?
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 04:48:13 pm »
I thought i'd update this. Ordered a new rear wheel bearing and ABS sensor and put it all together. Lights off, Gears changing perfect. Drives alot smoother.  :happy2: 

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
Re: RESOLVED- DSG issue or Accelerator Pedal issue?
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 10:06:28 am »
Called it :)