Make a donation

Author Topic: New mk5 owner  (Read 1313 times)

Offline jgalla89

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
New mk5 owner
« on: April 08, 2018, 06:36:20 pm »
Hello new Golf GTi owner here. After owning a number of cars in the past few years including a zetec s fiesta, 182 clio, Leon FR, Ep3 Type R, MK1 Focus RS (was 350bhp) I decided that it was a good idea last summer after buying my first house to get something sensible. I ended up with a 116d Msport Bmw and instantly regretted it. Wasn't doing enough miles, it was slow, was 2 door so impractical and always in the back of my mind was the dreaded DPF issues.

So last month I decided to bite the bullet and get rid and set out looking for a new car. Car had to be 5 door, big boot, reasonably quick but not massively tuned and I narrowed it down to Mazda3 MPS, Mk 2 Focus ST and MkV Golf Gti.

Was put off by the rarity of the Mazdas as I heard some parts were hard to get hold off and Turbos were known to be weak and also decided that although I liked the Focus, id heard that the 2.5 Volvo lump was thirsty. So the hunt set out for a Golf, budget was up to £6000, car had to have good history, camblet change and be below 100,000 miles.

After looking at a white 5 door with 18inch Monzas, A red one that had terrible rust on the front arch I found this at a tradar local to me. Went and test drove and left a Deposit on the car and picked up yesterday.

The Car

- 95,000 Miles
- Full VW history with Cambelt change last year
- Sun Roof
- MFD2 Sataliite Navigation

The cars is totally standard apart from the 17 inch monzas that have been resprayed anthracite. First impressions are very good, car boosts up well, the ride isn't harsh, the car is quiet and comfortable and the bodywork is very clean for its age.

Things to do

- Not keen on the embossed number plates - may look to change these
- Add a Gti badge to Boot (NOW DONE)
- Clean the black exhaust up - spent 20 mins yesterday on it and got it a dull silver but needs more elbow grease!
- Figure out how to work the Sat Nav!

Although mostly rust free i noticed yesterday after giving the car a wash the drivers arch has a 10p sized bubble on it and the passenger side has a tiny few small bubbles in the paint. Looking to take the car down to my local VW to get them to see if they can repair under the 12 year warranty but not sure how Im going to get on with that!

The boot lip is has a bit of breakage in the paint about 3 inch long. Not sure this would be covered under the 12 year warranty so will look to have the boot resprayed later this year.

Anyway heres the pics from the dealer Ad, will get some better pics up once the weather is nicer!

« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 06:37:56 pm by jgalla89 »

Offline kylo

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • Email
Re: New mk5 owner
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 03:37:44 pm »
Hello there, really like your GTI, Black is the hardest colour to detail and keep looking great, but when it is they are hard to beat! Sounds like you have had some cars man! Favourite so far?
Yeah get on the warranty for the paint, mine has rust too, the stealer checked mine saying the paint was too thick and must have had a respray. I couldn't find it in the history of the car so unsure, annoying that they rejected me on that basis!
Grrrr! I am going to try another stealer local and try my luck.

Speak soon
KingKylo

Offline Discojimbo

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
Re: New mk5 owner
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 09:22:15 pm »
Welcome, lovely looking gti ! :happy2: