Make a donation

Author Topic: VW Rust 12 year guarantee  (Read 6436 times)

Offline jgalla89

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
Re: VW Rust 12 year guarantee
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2018, 10:45:33 am »
Just heard back and been told the warranty claim has been rejected!

There reasons are that:

Im not on the VMS (what is this? Im a recent owner of the car and they said they could see the car has been to them consistently throughout its life) and would have needed to have owned the car for 6-7 years to have had a good claim as we are now in the 2 year goodwill. They reckon this is to stop people buying the cars to get the arches repaired (sounded like an excuse to me).

Bit annoying but I've asked for the details to escalate it further but not sure what hope I have!

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2018, 11:42:16 am »
VW UK’s goodwill appears to be based on both how much you personally have spent with their service network in the past and, possibly more importantly, how much you are likely to spend in the future.

Offline jgalla89

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2018, 11:48:38 am »
Yeah I feel like they are using that against me. I have sent an email to VWUK saying I wasn't happy with the outcome and backed it up with TSB doc and other bits. The car has full history with VW and I mentioned that I was going to be using VW for all future work but not sure they will offer me anything. Id be happy with a 50/50 split in cost but I haven't mentioned that yet.

Just find it strange that a 12 year warranty is in the handbook but all of a sudden its now 10 years plus 2 years goodwill, why doesn't it just say that in the warranty book!

End of the day I'll see where I get with it, its only cost me my time and ill decide whether I pay VW to do it or an Independent body shop.

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2018, 09:39:52 am »
Testing...

I was trying to post this...

I have noticed a very small amount of bubbling on my rear offside wheel arch.   I'm wondering if this is something that a) is likely to get much worse, b) is something I can do something about to halt any further bubbling and c) whether this is claimable under the 10 year corrosion warranty (58 plate car).

I'm aware that it's only a tiny thing at the moment, but I've owned a ford puma that started  out like this but got very very bad!

Also, any thoughts on what's causing the straight scratches on my sill under my door?  It's definitely got worse in my ownership but I have no idea how I'm causing it.  I'm certain it's not me treading on it as I never tread on this part, and if I did drag my foot on it, surely I wouldn't just get this line of parallel scratches, perpendicular to to bodywork...

http://s1356.photobucket.com/user/TheBALDpuma/media/IMG_20180419_085244_zpsygmv6jyt.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

http://s1356.photobucket.com/user/TheBALDpuma/media/IMG_20180419_085248_zpsjh4ceots.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

http://s1356.photobucket.com/user/TheBALDpuma/media/IMG_20180419_085322_zps2qhjijkr.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2018, 09:40:25 am »
It wouldn't let me post with the photos in the post, so you've got some links :)

Offline andy7ven

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 30
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2018, 05:18:44 pm »
Bottom of your door might have dropped slightly maybe?

As to the other posts about the wings both mine are horrendous and are getting worse, noticed them back in 2012... Trust VW Wolverhampton/Stourbridge wouldn't even entertain the idea of putting a claim in, despite the fact i've took the car to them since 2009 had timing belt and water pump, cam follower changed 3 times (every 4 years) had a service plan since 2009 ect and spent god knows how much there at least £2-3k in parts and other repairs... Bugger off to another dealership with a bodyshop was the attitude  :laugh:  :surprised:  :sad1:  Just going to get them done out my own pocket as theres other slight dings/scratches (malicious) on the doors...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 05:21:43 pm by andy7ven »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2018, 06:05:54 pm »
VW UK’s goodwill appears to be based on both how much you personally have spent with their service network in the past and, possibly more importantly, how much you are likely to spend in the future.

I think there is some truth in that.  Mine has been serviced at dealers from new and they know me well from my weekly parts purchases  :grin:

My wing claim went through immediately and I got the car back 2 days later with a perfect paint match.   It isn't often I praise dealers, but that experience did restore my faith in them.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline jgalla89

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2018, 09:42:17 am »
To be fair VW Nottingham were really good with me and put the claim in no questions asked. I sent an email to customer services Monday and heard nothing back, so been on live chat to them this morning and they said they are assigning my claim to a case manager and they are going to get back to me within 48 working hours, so by end of play Tuesday.

Not holding out much hope but we shall see...

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2018, 11:07:10 am »
I find Twitter is the most effective way at getting things moving.  All companies hate bad publicity. 

Offline jgalla89

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2018, 11:21:19 am »
I find Twitter is the most effective way at getting things moving.  All companies hate bad publicity.

I hadn't thought of that, maybe something to consider.

Offline willk86

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2018, 11:40:23 am »
I have just contacted my local dealer in Manchester via email to get an idea of what their attitude is like towards the warranty. I have a 1 previous owner full vw history 08 gti with 1 rusty wing mileage is 134k if that makes any difference

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
 Previous owner purchased and lived in Nottingham

Offline willk86

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2018, 12:14:45 pm »
No joy for me, I also got the "10 years old..." etc. I actually spoke to the warranty executive and he basically said they want the work but have had specific instructions from VW head office that the wings are not covered on vehicles over 10 years old(mine was 10 last month ). He was annoyed for me lol, basically said each car he has to turn down, his workshop misses out on 6.5 hours of work that VW would of paid for. He offered the number for VW customer services for me to try and persue it but I know a body panel repair shop locally that will sort me out. Just wanted something for nothing

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2018, 12:21:02 pm »
I wonder how many people knew the '12' year warranty was only 10 actual years, and 2 'maybe' years at the time of purchase?  Bloody con artists!

Offline jgalla89

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2018, 04:50:19 pm »
I wonder how many people knew the '12' year warranty was only 10 actual years, and 2 'maybe' years at the time of purchase?  Bloody con artists!

I know I wouldn’t mind if it actually said this in writing but it seems they have just decided that the last 2 years will be on a case by case basis!

I chased up VW customer services by live chat and they hadn’t assigned my case to anyone so hadn’t replied to my email. They have now assigned a case manager and will have an answer by Tuesday night the latest.

Not sure what my options are if they say no, prob just have to suck it up and take the car elsewhere to be sorted.

Offline jgalla89

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2018, 11:46:01 am »
So heres the response I've just had from VWUK....

Dear Mr Gallagher

Following your email dated on 16 April regarding the corrosion on your vehicle, I can confirm the outcome of my investigation. I am sorry for the delay in my written response.

I appreciate that your expectations of reliability and build quality are high when you purchase a Volkswagen and that any failure is most disappointing. However, as with all manufacturers, it is always possible for an issue to arise during a component’s lifetime. It is for this reason that all new Volkswagens are supplied with a comprehensive three-year manufacturer’s warranty or 12-year body protection warranty. 

The 12-year warranty covers corrosion that begins inside the vehicle’s body and works its way out. West Bridgford Vertu Volkswagen has confirmed that the issue with your vehicle arose because the protective covering of the paintwork of your vehicle was compromised. This allowed water to penetrate under the paint work, causing corrosion from the outside in. The issue is therefore not covered by the 12-year warranty. It would have been covered by your vehicle’s three-year warranty, which has now expired.

When the warranty on a vehicle has expired, our retailers are empowered to look into a goodwill gesture if they feel it is appropriate. In order for them to do this they will need to diagnose and repair the vehicle. We cannot overturn their decision.

I appreciate that this is not the response for which you had hoped, but trust that I have clarified the reasoning behind my decision. Thank you for contacting Volkswagen UK.

Kind regards

Feels like a fob off to me, not really sure what options I have now....apart from get it done myself