Make a donation

Author Topic: VW Rust 12 year guarantee  (Read 6431 times)

Offline jgalla89

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
Re: VW Rust 12 year guarantee
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2018, 12:09:36 pm »
Also interesting that the reason VW Nottingham rejected my warranty claim was because I was a recent owner of the car, was told this by email.

Now all of a sudden VW UK are saying the claim has been rejected because the paintwork has being compromised??

Offline jgalla89

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2018, 04:08:35 pm »
So just to update, I sent an email back to VW UK saying how disappointed I was with their findings and wanted them to provide me with the evidence that VW west bridgford seemed to have pointing to the my front wing rust being cause by the paintwork being compromised.

Also mentioned that VW west bridgford seemed to be contradicting themselves as there initial reason for rejecting my warranty claim was due to me not owning the car long.

Just had a phone call from VW UK and they took a few details about the car off me and said they were going to be getting in touch with VW west bridgford on Thursday to find out exactly why they had rejected my warranty claim.

Also seem very interested in the name of the person there who had said that the warranty was only 10 years plus 2 years goodwill.

Not sure what the outcome is going to be, said they are going to contact me Friday.

Offline jgalla89

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2018, 02:43:23 pm »
Just had a call from VW and The woman there said they were Not going to put a claim in. Because

1. I’m a recent owner- I bought the car sold as seen
2. The area of rust is not under the 12 year guarantee only a 3 year which is crap to me!
3. The area is a moving part so not a manufacturing fault:

Woman wasn’t very helpful when I said I wasn’t happy, just said take it to the ombudsman.

So think I’m out of options now!

Offline Roczen

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2018, 04:31:09 pm »
I've recently had the same experience with VW. Total scam to offer a 12yr warranty and not honour it.

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2018, 05:09:05 pm »
Just had a call from VW and The woman there said they were Not going to put a claim in. Because

2. The area of rust is not under the 12 year guarantee only a 3 year which is crap to me!

Woman wasn’t very helpful when I said I wasn’t happy, just said take it to the ombudsman.

This is cobblers....
1. recent owner is irrelevant, sold as seen does not invalidate any warranty
2 / 3.   12 year warranty should apply, so long as it's not been re-painted by anyone. It is a manufacturing  fault and VW have a service bulletin on it. I think they use a gadget to measure the paint depth. Have you got to the bottom of how they say the paint / bodywork was compromised?

I think in many instances, it's down to luck with who you deal with.

Offline jgalla89

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2018, 05:24:41 pm »
They said they spoke to the dealer in depth for an hour (if you can believe that!bearing in mind the dealer literally spent 20 seconds looking at the wings))
And they have come to the the conclusion that the paint bubbling and rust underneath is edge and fold so would only have come under the 3 year warranty. They are now closing the case so looks like I’m gonna have to suck it up and pay for it myself

Offline DavGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2018, 09:41:13 pm »

Yeah that does sound pretty ridiculous. I only owned my car for less than 2 months and they honoured the warranty.

Offline jgalla89

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2018, 01:06:07 pm »
Yeah I’ve given up now.

Went down to a local spray place near me that has a good reputation and they quoted me £500 to spray 2 supplied new wings including blending to the doors and also to respray my whole boot.

Also went to the local TPS and they have quoted me £230 all in for 2 new genuine wings.

So looking about £750 all in which isn’t as bad as I thought so will be looking to book in over the next few months.

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89

Offline jgalla89

• Always Involved
  • Thank You

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=k0vb8vhs2ed46mhbkbhi9haih2&/topic,19740.0.html

Offline jgalla89

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2018, 07:57:32 pm »
You could also buy a couple of prepainted wings off ebay for £179.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-mk5-2004-08-New-Drivers-Passenger-Front-Fender-Wings-Painted-LC9Z/142424635704?fits=Model%3AGolf%7CPlat_Gen%3AMK+V&epid=558132778&hash=item21292b7938:g:aVgAAOSwXYtYz~wY

Thats fine until you fit them and find the paint doesnt match.

I did think that, Tbh for an extra 50 quid it’s probaly worth just buying them from TPS