Make a donation

Author Topic: Ceramic BB turbo?  (Read 1909 times)

Offline csrigo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Ceramic BB turbo?
« on: April 13, 2018, 02:34:02 pm »
Just a question if anyone is running a ceramic ball bearing turbo etc upgrade on their KO4 powered motor or any other non hybrid KO4 options? And if so what are you running?

I'm currently stage 2+ on my manual ed30 and my turbo is defo on its way out....no loss of power as yet however siren noise is present . It's doing my head in more than anything.

I'm defo upgrading roughly in the summer however If I'm going to change it I would rather have a bb turbo option other than the normal TTE variant upgrade....I have no problems with these kits and I am not critisising them in any way I would just like to know if anyone is running other options?

Cheers

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
Re: Ceramic BB turbo?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 02:48:37 pm »
I have ceramic bearings in my bicycle wheels and they are awesome, spin forever! Think it is only Garrett and BW EFR range that commonly uses them in their turbos but someone like www.hybridturbos.com/services may be able to convert a K04.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 02:54:31 pm by colesey »

Online pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 03:43:02 pm »
I think Garrett are still rocking balls of steel in their BB CHRAs.  Bog Wiener's EFR does indeed use balls of bone china plates.   Really, don't get hung up on the balls.  Makes no odds in the real world.

Garrett have just launched their new G series, which look superb.  MAR-M turbine wheel and shaft + billet compressor wheel.  Rally enthusiasts will know about the benefits of MAR-M (and the expense).  The only metal that can sustain the heat of anti-lag.  True anti-lag, not the fake pops, bangs and over-run farting that chavs annoy residential areas with.

This one is a nice size for the TFSI - https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiU_PbevLfaAhWmC8AKHeeMA1QQFggsMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.turbobygarrett.com%2Fturbobygarrett%2Fturbochargers%2Fg-series-g25-550&usg=AOvVaw3zSQQhswcb7ol56vF4Ub1t

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline csrigo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 07:07:36 pm »
I have ceramic bearings in my bicycle wheels and they are awesome, spin forever! Think it is only Garrett and BW EFR range that commonly uses them in their turbos but someone like www.hybridturbos.com/services may be able to convert a K04.
I think Garrett are still rocking balls of steel in their BB CHRAs.  Bog Wiener's EFR does indeed use balls of bone china plates.   Really, don't get hung up on the balls.  Makes no odds in the real world.

Garrett have just launched their new G series, which look superb.  MAR-M turbine wheel and shaft + billet compressor wheel.  Rally enthusiasts will know about the benefits of MAR-M (and the expense).  The only metal that can sustain the heat of anti-lag.  True anti-lag, not the fake pops, bangs and over-run farting that chavs annoy residential areas with.

This one is a nice size for the TFSI - https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiU_PbevLfaAhWmC8AKHeeMA1QQFggsMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.turbobygarrett.com%2Fturbobygarrett%2Fturbochargers%2Fg-series-g25-550&usg=AOvVaw3zSQQhswcb7ol56vF4Ub1t

Thanks for the response folks nice couple of links there much appreciated.

I'm not really hung up on specifically BB units as such @Pudding as after playing with BB and journal units in the past the frictional resistance is apparent between the two even with just a finger test on the shaft(basic and low brow I know)....as you say though how that relates in the real world is perhaps debatable.

My knowledge of turbo trim differences and spec etc is limited tbh so I will be brushing up on this over the next few months before going ahead so any info/opinion you all can bring is always appreciated.

It's the orientation and DP flange that will be my concern...also mapping will be a factor naturally. @Pudding that G series looks interesting ...

Online pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 09:37:41 am »
Sorry, should have said the difference between ceramic and steel BB isn’t big, but BB vs journal, yeah, very worthwhile difference!
Back in my GT30 & GT35R days, you can hear the turbine slowing down for ages after switching the engine off.

I guess it depends if you want a bolt on replacement, or want to get involved with the faff of fitting a completely different turbo!  It would be great if a turbo company upgraded the K04 with a BB CHRA. I’m thinking it would have been done by now if it was possible.

Have you dropped the downpipe to check for play in the turbo shaft? Should give you an idea of how much life it has left!

Offline csrigo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 04:36:52 pm »
Lol yeah I kinda thought after reading back you maybe meant the difference between ceramic and SS tbh as ive also ran a GT30RS back in the day and the resistance difference is very noticable.

I checked the shaft a few months ago felt ok however my seals are letting marginal oil pass...ive been stage 2+ approx a month and I do get a random excessive puff of smoke now and again...its that siren squeel tho...its doing my head in.

Yeah agreed a bolt on ko4 hybrid will be much easier i was just wondering if anyone has went another way...the faffing about is really the nitty gritty i suppose...do you think our EA113 arent capable of taking one of these units?

Online pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 08:50:19 am »
My seal on the cold side is going as I get oil splash back on the MAF.  I’ve been 2+ for quite a while. The stock turbo can’t handle the thrust loadings for long.

Maybe a rebuild with 360 bearings is the best compromise?