Make a donation

Author Topic: Aircon - Air Quality Sensor  (Read 5776 times)

Offline OEM+ DUB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 26
Aircon - Air Quality Sensor
« on: September 20, 2012, 08:48:04 am »
Morning everyone!

Being relatively 'handy' myself I've yet had to make a plea for help/advice, however the time has now come...

Background
A couple of weeks ago I needed to use the aircon on my 05 GTI DSG during a spirited drive to the new FA training ground (my lad was playing there) on a very hot Saturday.  Upon turning the aircon on, it blew cold briefly then 'died away', sounding as if it was altering the motors to go to recirc.  I tried to switch it on several more times both there and later on the way back but it kept doing the same thing.

VCDS faults
The following faults were evident upon scanning the car:

Address 08: Auto HVAC        Labels: 1K0-907-044.lbl
   Part No SW: 1K0 907 044 DA    HW: 1K0 907 044 DA
   Component: ClimatronicPQ35 130 1213  
   Revision: 00130023    Serial number: 00000000000000
   Shop #: WSC 00000 000 00000
   VCID: 69D22DAE4062FD6

2 Faults Found:
00229 - Refrigerant Pressure
            002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
01592 - Air Quality Sensor (G238)
            010 - Open or Short to Plus

Work performed so far
Having made use of the excellent search function and resultant information on the forum, I last night changed the Aircon Pressure Switch which has eliminated the 00229 - Refridgerant Pressure fault code.  The 01592 - Air Quality Sensor remained.  When switched back on, unfortunately the aircon continued to behave in the same way and as you can imagine I was now thinking compressor...  I then used the advance measuring blocks to check whether the compressor was engaging upon switching on the aircon (it is!) and also checked the refridgerant pressure (rises to 10mb when the compressor is engaged at idle) so hoepfully this is also ruled out.

In addition, a few weeks prior to these problems I changed the aircon panel (it had an annoying scratch...) from the original 1K0 907 044 AG panel to the currently installed 1K0 907 044 DA.

Thoughts going forward
Having used Elsawin to read up on the function of the Air Quality Sensor (G238), I now think this is my next step.  That said, does anybody have experience or knowledge that might indicate the later spec panel being the cause before I crack on and change out the G238 sensor for a new one (not checked with TPS myself yet but believed to be expensive)?  I could just change the panels back but wondered if anyone could shed any light ahead of striping out the centre dash again?

Thanks

Steve

PS - I hope I've given enough info!
OEM+ 2005 GTI DSG (high factory standard spec and upgraded with S3 alloy hubs, S3 alloy wishbones, Bilstein B8s and VWR springs by my own hands) owned since 2008 and still loving it!

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 450
Re: Aircon - Air Quality Sensor
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 09:32:30 am »
In addition, a few weeks prior to these problems I changed the aircon panel (it had an annoying scratch...) from the original 1K0 907 044 AG panel to the currently installed 1K0 907 044 DA.

I suspect that the issue here is your old air con panel didn't have an air quality sensor and your new one does so vcds picks it up as a fault.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline OEM+ DUB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 11:06:13 am »
Thanks for the reply.

Good point!  I think therefore that the next course of action is to strip the plenum chamber cover and check whether there is an air quality sensor located where Elsawin suggests there should be on my GTI (on the air intake).  I expect there will be one there as they have been fitted to climatronic systems since the B5 Passat and MKIV Golf but for the sake of whipping off the wiper arms and the cover its worth it.
OEM+ 2005 GTI DSG (high factory standard spec and upgraded with S3 alloy hubs, S3 alloy wishbones, Bilstein B8s and VWR springs by my own hands) owned since 2008 and still loving it!

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 450
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 04:57:53 pm »
fwiw my 06 GTI doesn't have an air quality sensor so I suspect yours doesn't have one either.
Cars from the factory with the Air Quality Sensor come with two "figures" on the recirculation button (top left) while those without only have one figure.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 05:11:19 pm by bacillus »
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline OEM+ DUB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 10:26:49 pm »
Thanks for the reply again.

Not had time to check the GTI for a Air Quality Sensor tonight but I can confirm that my replacement panel is the same as the one pictured...
Will check for a sensor tomorrow but think you are right.  Looks like I'll be going back to the original panel and putting the later model one up for sale!

Offline OEM+ DUB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 04:12:21 pm »
All back to normal!  Just changed my climate control panel back to the original and my air con is restored (I know, I know, just in time for the cold weather...).

The failure of the Air Con Pressure switch was co-incidental with the abnormal behaviour of generated by the later panel but at least it brought it to my attention and that has now been changed for the later revision.

Just need an early panel now to get rid of the scratch on mine...

Thanks to Bacillus for all the help and suggestions.

Offline Gmac

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 10:48:41 am »
Digging this old post up.....

I’ve got he fault code 01582 air quality sensor. And I’ve managed to fit nd this thread.  I reckon I have exactly the same problem here. I changed out my aircon panel when I retro fitted leather heated seats. I had to change it for the heater switches on the panel.

The aircon isn’t working properly but in vcds things look normal ie compressor is working and pressure in the system is fine.

Is there a way with vcds to code the car so that the new panel is compatible? Or am I going to have to source an older panel, with the seat heater control, and this quality sensor? So change out the panel ending part number DA, and try and get one with AG?
Bit annoying.

Offline Gmac

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 12:44:55 pm »
Just to say i bought a climate control panel with econ instead of a/c and fitted that, my aircon is now working again!  So definitely the panel.  Part number of the one i fitted wasn’t ending AG, but I believe ends L