Make a donation

Author Topic: Caster readings after alignment  (Read 1546 times)

Offline Ads22

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Caster readings after alignment
« on: April 12, 2018, 01:17:09 pm »
Hi there

Had my GTi aligned today on a Hunter System. Readings werent as bad as I hoped. Only required some toe adjustments as were just out of tolerance and the ride feels smoother and less choppy, unfortunately one tie rod had seized so extra labour was involved. Only query i have is involving the Caster figures which i understand is not adjustable on these.
Reading 7.08' LHS and 6.59' RHS so is outside spec. How would this translate to road and effect tyre wear, would there also be anything that i can inspect that may be causing this, no suspension knocking noises but sometimes i do get a small knocking noise at full lock to LHS.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Caster readings after alignment
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 01:28:46 pm »
Standard. It’s never the same on both sides on MK5s. Half a degree off won’t affect anything.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Ads22

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 01:36:19 pm »
Standard. It’s never the same on both sides on MK5s. Half a degree off won’t affect anything.

Thanks, looking at the specs, its just out of tolerance but apparently these run quite high castor anyway so i hear.

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 07:18:12 pm »
Yes, caster tolerance is 7.57° ±0.50°
...and cross caster is 0.00° ±0.50°

So you have a tiny bit less positive caster(below spec)...this will slightly decrease steering effort and straight line tracking, as well as reduce high speed stability, cornering effectiveness, and tire lean when cornering. Shouldn't be much of an issue with wear.

Knocking could be the CV joint...inspect sides and both boots that they aren't cracked and a loss of grease hasn't occurred. Likely will be the right side if knocks when wheels are turned left.
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 05:58:52 pm »
If the camber is equal on both sides, the caster should also equalise since they are directly connected.  The problem with these cars is the camber is always more negative on one side, which will tweak the caster accordingly.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Ads22

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 09:43:07 am »
Yes, caster tolerance is 7.57° ±0.50°
...and cross caster is 0.00° ±0.50°

So you have a tiny bit less positive caster(below spec)...this will slightly decrease steering effort and straight line tracking, as well as reduce high speed stability, cornering effectiveness, and tire lean when cornering. Shouldn't be much of an issue with wear.

Knocking could be the CV joint...inspect sides and both boots that they aren't cracked and a loss of grease hasn't occurred. Likely will be the right side if knocks when wheels are turned left.

That would make sense, discovered ive got a torn cv boot on the RHS and there is some grease seeping through. Quite common on these apparently?