Make a donation

Author Topic: Edition 30 stage 1 clutch advice needed (I know it’s been done)  (Read 1437 times)

Offline Jgavin1

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Hi all. Before I start I know this thread has been done so please don’t eat me alive! Previous threads I’ve read say that a stage 1 from apr/revo or similar will cause clutch slip as they’re around 340lbft/ft of torque.

My car is on 87k Miles, I believe it had an oem clutch replacement at 45k and I’ve found a place that can do a custom ‘light’  stage 1 where the the results  in theory should be 295bhp and 290lbft according to the guy. I’ve read the oem clutch is rated at 300lbft which would explain why people have trouble with apr/revo maps.car is set up for a stage 2 with the intake and decat but think I’ll play it safe for now.

What I want to know is should it be ok with those results ? I will probably do the clutch at some point anyway i was just wondering if it would be ok for now.

Secondly could anyone recommend the best place to get an upgraded clutch kit done ? I’m in Scotland

Thanks

Offline f00glee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
Re: Edition 30 stage 1 clutch advice needed (I know it’s been done)
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 03:32:57 pm »
Just to give my experience; My (non eddy) has been mapped to 250hp/320lbft since 34k miles, now on 38k+. So far the standard clutch is performing flawlessly. Though I had similar concerns before the map, it seems I shouldn't have been so worried in the short term. I do expect the clutch to go eventually, at which point ill probably weigh up the helix organic kit offered by AKS tuning (£800ish for parts only inc DMF) against replacing with another stock clutch based on cost and the age at which my current one starts to slip.

I know you're in Scotland but could be a good starting point to see what components may be required if and when you need it.
Current:
Mk6 R, Tornado Red, 5-door, '13.
Previous:
Mk5 GTI, Tornado Red, 3-door, '06, R-tech Stage "1+"

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Edition 30 stage 1 clutch advice needed (I know it’s been done)
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 06:07:30 pm »
My stock clutch slipped with a custom Stage 1 map, which had 80K on it at the time.   It's mainly when accelerating hard up a hill it will slip, especially in 4th at 3000rpm.

Best thing to do is get the map done and if the clutch slips, you've got some expense ahead.  If it doesn't, happy days.   Standard clutches are OK for the first half of their life with Stage 1.  It's when they are getting old they start to slip.  As yours is only about 40K old, it might be OK.   A new clutch at 45K is unusual though.  Previous owners must have ridden the clutch a lot to burn it out that quickly.

The Helix organic is an OK upgrade.  I say 'OK' because whilst it can handle Stage 2+ levels of torque, the bite is right at the bottom of the pedal and causes baulking and creep in traffic, and it's a lot heavier.  It's a pain in the arse.  There is also the Sachs sports clutch which is pretty much the same as the Helix.  Not sure where the bite on that one is though.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D