Make a donation

Author Topic: Light Knocking noise  (Read 5437 times)

Offline neilw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 26
Re: Light Knocking noise
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2018, 09:32:13 pm »
I've ordered the ECS bolt kit so will let you know how it goes. Also chucked an ARP panel filter in the basket as well  :grin:

They have an install video, looks pretty easy

They switch between Newton meters and ft/lbs so watch out for that!

Heres a vid on the TyrolSport Kit

« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 09:51:58 pm by neilw »
Edition30 #0002 R-Tech Stage2

Offline neilw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2018, 12:00:01 pm »
The more I listen to this the more I think its the top mounts.

I'll put the sub frame kit in and see anyway as it won't cause any harm. I'll then change the top mounts when I get round to installing my B8 shocks

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2018, 12:05:30 pm »
You’ll be wanting TT top mounts with B8s, otherwise you will get rubbery squelching noises over speed humps etc with GTI mounts.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline neilw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2018, 12:22:38 pm »
Thanks for the tip, I'll make sure I do that.

Offline neilw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2018, 04:10:47 pm »
Yeah they are probably the ones, but I used dealer parts.  I've used Febi mounts in the past and wasn't overly impressed.

8J0412331 - Mounting x 2
1K0412249B - Bearing x 2
10127707 - Bolt x 6

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2018, 05:09:19 pm »
Yeah they are probably the ones, but I used dealer parts.  I've used Febi mounts in the past and wasn't overly impressed.

8J0412331 - Mounting x 2
1K0412249B - Bearing x 2
10127707 - Bolt x 6

Febi bushes aren't good. I'd stick with OEM or Lemforder.

Offline neilw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2018, 05:55:58 pm »
Cool, Cheers guys

Offline neilw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2018, 07:09:42 pm »
Put the ECS kit in today. The noise is still there. Interestingly I already had the bigger bolts in subframe, not like the skinny ones in the video. The ECS were slightly different again as the had the captive washer on them, and slightly longer.

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 61
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2018, 11:15:44 pm »
Same issue on mine, light clicking noise when going lock to lock going into/out of parking spaces etc, mine had the larger bolts in subframe, where a bit slack.

I'm thinking top mounts or ARB links binding?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 11:20:43 pm by GVK »

Offline Ripstop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2018, 02:36:20 pm »
Just to add a little more options to this... I have been having slowly increasing amount of noise like a clunk when going over small potholes and rough surfaces on the drivers side (RH) and at relatively slow speeds. Been looking for a culprit for about 6 months... everyone who looked couldn't see anything including the guys at AKS. I have changed suspension and top mounts and it was still there. Checked all other related bushes, nothing. The calipers have all been checked and disks are pretty recent.

Finally after another visit to AKS for some other stuff they diagnosed a worn steering rack and there was some slight play on the end float but very small. All the potential culprits like ARB bushes, Sub frame, Ball joints etc. were still ok. The play is very small but you can tell by pulling and pushing hard on the tie rods. We are only talking mm's here.

So in my case its a recon steering rack, Gen3 with new wiring loom  :driver:

Cheers
Rip
Stage 1 2007 Black Eddy  #1000 - VCDS Hex+Can (Novice coder). H&R springs, newish Bilstein B4's. Gen 3 Steering rack, Helix organic.  The car is *always* work in progress fixing and upgrading things.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2018, 11:37:10 pm »
Just to add a little more options to this... I have been having slowly increasing amount of noise like a clunk when going over small potholes and rough surfaces on the drivers side (RH) and at relatively slow speeds. Been looking for a culprit for about 6 months... everyone who looked couldn't see anything including the guys at AKS. I have changed suspension and top mounts and it was still there. Checked all other related bushes, nothing. The calipers have all been checked and disks are pretty recent.

Finally after another visit to AKS for some other stuff they diagnosed a worn steering rack and there was some slight play on the end float but very small. All the potential culprits like ARB bushes, Sub frame, Ball joints etc. were still ok. The play is very small but you can tell by pulling and pushing hard on the tie rods. We are only talking mm's here.

So in my case its a recon steering rack, Gen3 with new wiring loom  :driver:

Cheers
Rip

How much do AKS charge for that?  A worn rack will hit us all eventually!  Symptoms are usually knocks over bumps and the car wanders easily in a straight line, needs regular correction. 

I remember the GTI’s steering feeling tight as a drum in a straight line when I test drove one back in 2006. They definitely get vague with age, but people ignore racks unless they can see massive play, which is rarely the case. It’s always the tiniest bit of slack in the pinion/rack, which is amplified by the steering wheel diameter.

The UJ that connects the rack to the column is another favourite, but no one ever checks that.

Offline Ripstop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2018, 12:11:36 pm »

How much do AKS charge for that?  A worn rack will hit us all eventually!  Symptoms are usually knocks over bumps and the car wanders easily in a straight line, needs regular correction. 

Its the best part of 800+ to source a reliable recon Gen3 rack, with new wiring loom, genuine rubbers etc. and to fit. I think its usually the last step anyone wants to go down after replacing everything else. Alex was really helpful and we talked over lots of options but this is it. The problem is that the movement is hard to detect and I know it has been getting worse over the last 6 months. I could live with the noise for longer but I am past that level of tolerance now. The main pluses are getting a trusted source, fitted by experts and with some guarantee. No its not cheap but I am keeping the car for a while.

To be fair as well the car doesn't really show other steering symptoms so it wasn't an obvious candidate and the steering still feels tight. I also didn't feel any knocks through the steering wheel which I might have expected.
Stage 1 2007 Black Eddy  #1000 - VCDS Hex+Can (Novice coder). H&R springs, newish Bilstein B4's. Gen 3 Steering rack, Helix organic.  The car is *always* work in progress fixing and upgrading things.

Offline Rob1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 24
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2018, 11:31:17 am »
Hi got my Eddie booked in at AKS in June for an inspection as still experiencing the clunking noise and possibly suspect is the rack worst case scenario looking at 1100 ish to supply and fit, hoping it’s something else ie something cheaper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Black Ed30