Make a donation

Author Topic: On the Hunt  (Read 1945 times)

Offline MA1694

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
On the Hunt
« on: April 19, 2018, 09:37:40 pm »
Hello all,
New to the forum. Currently drive an A3 1.4t. I've decided my next car will be a GTI. Always lusted for one, the looks are timeless in my eyes.
My criteria is as follows: late production model (2008), DSG, electric folding mirrors, parking sensors, heated leathers, xenon headlights and MFSW.  Bonus would be sat nav although can be retrofitted easily and electric seats but not sure if these were available as an option?
In other words I'm looking for a well spec'd example. Are they rare to come across?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 09:30:14 pm by MA1694 »

Offline Shoy1980

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 18
Re: On the Hunt
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 04:00:57 pm »
Everything is available at the right price. What's your budget?

Libsdad

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 05:43:45 pm »
Sorry to jump onto this thread.
I am the same but have had golf's (gt tdi) for years but decided to have a mk5 gti as next car. I have read over 200 plus pages on this forum regarding owning a gti and any common issues over the last couple of weeks.
Always checking the for sale adds on here over the last few weeks. a watch list on ebay as long as my arm,gumtree,but I kinda like pistonheads but cars are mainly dealer sales and a bit more expensive. Hopefully will be max of four weeks before I have found the right car.

And after being hesitant on dsg I am now certainly not dismissing the idea of it and kinda like the idea of it.

Now just bloody waiting on a knobheads insurance to pay me out after deciding to mount my car and drive along it with his offside wheels. Then has the balls to say I pulled out on him so glad I have two independent witnesses.

Offline MA1694

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 06:02:16 pm »
Around the 6-7k mark..

Offline Rodad

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 10:43:23 am »
Another newcomer also jumping on this thread. Used to have an mk2 GTI a decade ago and have been hankering over a mk5 gti for a couple of years but new house and then baby put it on hold (until now!).

I've got a shortlist from usual places like gumtree/ebay, and keeping an eye on forums like here and clubgti, but wanted to check the collective wisdom on Autotrader these days, specifically traders on AT. Avoid or tread carefully?

Offline MA1694

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 12:26:45 pm »
Can anybody point me out to a factory price list or brochure?

Offline jgalla89

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 01:06:38 pm »
Another newcomer also jumping on this thread. Used to have an mk2 GTI a decade ago and have been hankering over a mk5 gti for a couple of years but new house and then baby put it on hold (until now!).

I've got a shortlist from usual places like gumtree/ebay, and keeping an eye on forums like here and clubgti, but wanted to check the collective wisdom on Autotrader these days, specifically traders on AT. Avoid or tread carefully?

I’ve recently bought a MkV and mine was bought through a trader via auto trader. I didn’t see many cars tbh that were private sale. It seems to me most people like to trade cars in now as it’s less hassle.

I’ve always been a bit dubious about traders but the one I bought mine from was very good, he was selling all sorts of top end performance cars at strong money so I went with my gut feeling.

Offline Rodad

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 06:50:53 pm »

I’ve recently bought a MkV and mine was bought through a trader via auto trader. I didn’t see many cars tbh that were private sale. It seems to me most people like to trade cars in now as it’s less hassle.

I’ve always been a bit dubious about traders but the one I bought mine from was very good, he was selling all sorts of top end performance cars at strong money so I went with my gut feeling.

Good advice thanks. I'll keep my options open. What spec did you go for?

I hope to join you in ownership soon. Narrowing down to a shortlist that I can go see is the stage I'm at now. It seems everyone and their dog went for leather seats, which is a shame as I love the tartan cloth!

Offline jgalla89

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 08:20:32 am »

Good advice thanks. I'll keep my options open. What spec did you go for?

I hope to join you in ownership soon. Narrowing down to a shortlist that I can go see is the stage I'm at now. It seems everyone and their dog went for leather seats, which is a shame as I love the tartan cloth!

I went with a manual, black, 5 door with sunroof and tartan heated seats. Mine also has full VW history with a lot of the important work like cam belt done recently which attracted me. Good luck with your search.

Offline neilw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 01:31:19 pm »
I wouldn't worry about the electric folding mirrors they save you about 2cm per side in width when folded.

SatNav can be fitted with an RNS510 unit. MFSW can also be retrofitted pretty easily on a DSG car.

I don't think you can get electric seats either (they just add a load of weight anyway)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 01:35:12 pm by neilw »
Edition30 #0002 R-Tech Stage2

Offline MA1694

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 07:51:55 pm »
I don't have off road parking so I always fold both mirrors in manually. Electric would just make it easier I guess.
What's the DSG like in auto mode? Most of my driving is around the city so manual has become a chore. Does DSG creep like a normal auto?

Offline Tin Robot

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2018, 09:04:05 am »
I'm exactly the same - not bothered about folding mirrors and would prefer red, grey or white.

Money waiting....