Make a donation

Author Topic: Clutch master recurring issues  (Read 3010 times)

Offline SyntaxTerror

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 3
Clutch master recurring issues
« on: April 22, 2018, 02:09:15 pm »
So after fitting a Helix fast road clutch i’ve had quite a few recurring hydraulics issues. The clutch is significantly harder than stock, which is putting far more pressure on the hydraulics.

First the master cylinder went (replaced)
Second the plastic joint in the clutch line began leaking from the higher pressure (replaced with steel tubing)
Months later, the the Master failed again, and was replaced with an alternative brand that my mechanics recommended, and has been great since.
Sadly last week the plastic plunger on the better master cylinder snapped at the connection to the pedal! Again I assume from the extra hydraulic pressure

Now car has been in off the road  since, and not sure what to do. Can replace the whole master cylinder (again) and just wait for the plastic plunger to fail... but I’m hoping there’s an alternative?

Is there a good alternative? Does anyone know if I can get a new plunger machined from something that’s not cheap plastic?

Open to all suggestions!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 02:19:19 pm by SyntaxTerror »
2008 Ed30 - VWR Cold-Air Intake - APR Stage 2 - Helix 'fast road' Clutch & SMF - H&R Coilovers - Pipewerx Downpipe - Whiteline Anti-Lift Kit - R888's - Dogbone insert - GFB DV+

Online pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Clutch master recurring issues
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 12:01:06 pm »
I’ve had the Helix in for over 2 years, daily driven, and not had any of those problems.

The replacement MCs you’re putting in, are they oem or cheap pattern parts from the usual online sellers?

This very thing is one reason why I am dropping back to down to Stage 1.  I’m going back to the stock clutch.  It’s just lots of crap like this when pushing to and beyond stage 2+.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline SyntaxTerror

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 3
Re: Clutch master recurring issues
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 07:07:20 pm »
Interesting!

If you’ve had no issues why downgrade?

I’ve had both OEM and third party, the third party unit I had outlasted the OEM part by an order of magnitude, and has been strong until the plastic plunger snapped.

Is there a guide anywhere on replacing the master? I’m going to give it a go this weekend and see if I can make a metal plunger for the broken unit.
2008 Ed30 - VWR Cold-Air Intake - APR Stage 2 - Helix 'fast road' Clutch & SMF - H&R Coilovers - Pipewerx Downpipe - Whiteline Anti-Lift Kit - R888's - Dogbone insert - GFB DV+