Make a donation

Author Topic: Thermostats  (Read 1489 times)

Offline DMackie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Thermostats
« on: April 22, 2018, 06:41:40 pm »
Hello

I had my car in at my local garage to have a few things done. One of which was to have the main and inline thermostats replaced.
They managed to replace the main one but said my car doesnt have an inline one. It is a 55 plate AXX engine. Does that sound right?

Either way the main thermostat fixed the issue of the needle for the coolant not sitting at 90C.

DMackie

Offline snowball05

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
Re: Thermostats
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 08:06:29 pm »
My car is a 54 plate and it does have an inline thermostat at the front of the engine.  I used this DIY to change it myself as it was not working:

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=78341.0

Offline Tazocin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 08:29:04 pm »
Depends on whether its a manual or a dsg and the year of manufacture. I was under the impression that the DSG had one more than the manual and the earlier cars had more inline ones (ie DSG upto late 06 had 2 inline and post 07 had 1 inline and th emanusal were 1 inline and no inline). I did my 07 DSG recently and it had the main thermostat and an inline one above the gearbox by the battery. As an 05 I'd have thought youd have at least one inline.

Generally the main one is the key to get good temperatures and the inline affects how fast it gets upto temp (assuming its stuck open) so isnt *as* essential

Offline DMackie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 10:01:30 pm »
Well i had the main one replaced and the needle is a 90C within 4 mins. So im happy with that.