Make a donation

Author Topic: RNS510 installation  (Read 1813 times)

Offline jgalla89

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
RNS510 installation
« on: April 24, 2018, 08:52:50 am »
Someone I know has a second hand RNS510 they are selling at a very good price. They had to take it out their T5 as they were having the following issues...

a fault code scan always showed the unit to be incorrectly coded as it does not match the T5 electrical architecture. From what I could tell I think the internally provided voltage output to the GPS antenna is too high and is damaging the antenna which is why the new one failed so quickly. When I checked the voltage I read 8 volts and as far as I can find out it should be 5 volts.

does anyone know what would cause this? Im not clued up on stereos so would I have this same issue with my mk5 Golf?

Also what do I need exactly to install it? Do I need...

1. a new antenna for my car? (currently has MFD2 stereo fitted)
2. a bluetooth kit (wheres the best place to get this from)?
3. A Canubus upgrade (which part number is this?)

appreciate theres a few articles on this stereo but im struggling to find all the info I need.

Offline Pashka

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
Re: RNS510 installation
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 01:14:01 pm »
Someone I know has a second hand RNS510 they are selling at a very good price. They had to take it out their T5 as they were having the following issues...

a fault code scan always showed the unit to be incorrectly coded as it does not match the T5 electrical architecture. From what I could tell I think the internally provided voltage output to the GPS antenna is too high and is damaging the antenna which is why the new one failed so quickly. When I checked the voltage I read 8 volts and as far as I can find out it should be 5 volts.

does anyone know what would cause this? Im not clued up on stereos so would I have this same issue with my mk5 Golf?

Also what do I need exactly to install it? Do I need...

1. a new antenna for my car? (currently has MFD2 stereo fitted)
2. a bluetooth kit (wheres the best place to get this from)?
3. A Canubus upgrade (which part number is this?)

appreciate theres a few articles on this stereo but im struggling to find all the info I need.

I can provide both precoded can gateway and  bluetooth kit. You would need arial adapter and GPS arial.  :happy2:
06 1.9 TDI Owner. Retrofits: Bixenons, Drls, Full GT/GTI exterior, RNS510+MDI+Premium Bluetooth+RVC+OPS, Full Fis, MFSW, Cruise control, TPMS, Polar Fis, Boot pop up and more.. :)
Coding, diagnostic and retrofits in Leeds
Pre coded Can Gateways for battery drain issues with RNS510 and similar headunits
Premium Bluetooth modules/kit
RNS510 Service - codes, maps/firmware updates
Latest V8 West EU maps update service for RNS315