Make a donation

Author Topic: New member Cornwall based  (Read 934 times)

Offline Chesto18

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
New member Cornwall based
« on: May 04, 2018, 07:30:29 pm »
Hello,

Just bought my first Mk5 GTi... been a long time coming! Have wanted one since they came out but always had different priorities or different finances previously.

10 years ago I was all-things VW, having owned a couple of mk1 cabriolets, a couple 16v Corrado’s, and a couple Mk2 GTi’s. My last Mk2 8v was sold in 2011 and since then I’ve had a very mixed car history, as well as incredibly bad luck with cars.

Anyway, I’ve finally found a Mk5 locally I could afford, and begged the wife to let me have it! It’s an ‘08 plate BWA  in black with leather. Standard. 110k.

Noticed it felt flat shortly after picking it up, it felt like it had no turbo. The DV valve was the culprit. It was a Rev G and it was absolutely shredded the whole way around! Replaced with another Rev G after reading a few things online. On the test drive the car pulled hard (yey!) however a misfire presented itself (boo) and the engine light started blinking. Today I’ve replaced the coil packs with the red R8 ones and the plugs with NGK iridiums and that seems to have solved it. Drives great!

Next up are some new front tyres as they are fairly low and I have a trip planned next week. After that I’m planning on looking at the cam follower. Nothing in the history regarding this. I’m hopeful this can be DIY’ed after managing the DV valve. It thankfully doesn’t have the banjo bolt.

PCV seems fine as the engine tries to stall when dipstick is removed.

Only other thing that’s bugging me is it’s pretty loud and droney in the cabin. Almost like a wheel bearing is out. It’s only just had an MOT and this would have been checked, so I’m wondering whether the rear shocks are on the way out, as I’ve heard this can make a similar noise.

Other than that, I’m happy to have a car to tinker with again but I’m desperately hoping this one treats me better than a few cars I’ve had in the last few years, which have been money pits.

I’m down in Cornwall, so anytime anything goes on down here, count me in.

Cheers!