Make a donation

Author Topic: Corrosion warranty advice  (Read 2247 times)

Offline Shiz94

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Corrosion warranty advice
« on: May 08, 2018, 07:09:17 pm »
Just been down to the local stealer who didnt even seem a bit intrested in my claim i have slight bubbling on the rear arch the cars 12 years and 3 days old and he told me the warranty only applies for 10 years i challenged him but didnt seem like i was going get anywhere i called up vw uk who said the same and said for 12 years i would require full VW history :/ I then argued with him saying its the body work..  any ideas im tottaly lost with this one

Chears

Offline GitFlog

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
Re: Corrosion warranty advice
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 08:07:31 pm »
i would contact VW directly.

I have seen a lot of recent posts about the warranty claim so a quick search in the forum you will find it.

From what i can remember skipping through it a 10year warranty with a 2 year good will.

i would say you have been trying to find out about the warranty when your car was still in the 12 years but you got bashed around by the stealers :happy2: :wink:
2017 Vw Golf R Mk7.5
310ps
Lapiz Blue
Black Vienna Leather Interior
19" Pretoria Alloy Wheels
Dynamic Chassis Control

Offline loop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 26
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 05:24:13 am »
There’s a couple of very long threads on here about it, do a search or just scroll down a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
‘05 GT, Retrofits: RNS 510 DAB+, R32 Highline Cluster, R32 MFSW, Mk6 Reversing Camera, 7P6 Bluetooth, TPMS, Cruise Control, VW MDI, Chrome switches, Blaupunkt THA 475 amp.

Offline ady-uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 01:16:22 pm »
Even if you went to a VW garage, that was good at honoring the 12 year warranty.
You've already passed the 12 years!   How can you challenge it?   :thinking:
VW Golf 2.0 Gtd 140 4motion (2005)
Factory fitted: xenons, sunroof, heated leather seats, fold in mirrors with downlights,
Custom: Mk6 steering wheel, updated gateway, RNS510 remote boot pop, LED lighting.

Offline jgalla89

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 01:59:01 pm »
After my recent experience with the Dealers and UK regarding front arch rust, I wouldn't bother! You may get lucky but I had no luck whatsoever. They said its 10 years plus 2 years goodwill. They turned it down based on the fact I bought the car sold as seen (no idea how that invalidates warranty!), the arches are a moving part (really?) so would only come under the 3 year warranty.

My car is 10.5 years old and has full VW history from new and after getting passed from various people at VWUK and each person contradicting the other person they just said if I wasn't happy with the rejection take it to citizens advice!

Worth a punt with VWUK but I can buy 2 new genuine wings from TPS and get them fitted, painted and blended into the doors for around £600 at an independent.

Offline Rigsby

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 06:01:56 pm »
VW are con artists
They said 10 years to me (12yrs in the book)
Then said my wings had been painted( don’t think so) didn’t even check the paint depth. Also said the same to my mate

They’re rusting from the inside you absolute cocks !!!

Offline GitFlog

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 07:21:33 pm »
I have the same problem with my wings more on my passenger side it didnt show through my paintwork till my car was just over 12yearsold. I plan to get my body kit painted to match my reflex silver paintwork in a few months all being well (+ some Votex bits  :wink: if someone keeps them away in his garage  :wink:) so i will have to get both my wings done  at the same time  :sad1: more ££s.

It's a bit annoying knowing that VW know this is a problem with the mk5s and for a company as big as VW sorting out the wings as and when they get this rust should be a given as its a design fault. Even better find a work around before the rust turns up. Is it not just down to a sponge like part that keeps the water next to the wing? change it for a substance that dosent do this it cant be a big fix really can it??

VW should be a dab hand by now at fixing their mistakes by now with all the practice (cough Dieselgate cough).

I wonder if its also down to the dealers and how they manage your claim up to VW hq and if going to on specific dealer might aid you with your claim.

1 more thing if i'm not mistake if when the car was bought it says 12year warranty thats something they can not just decide  to go back on its there in plain text.

Taken from the VW website
Body protection warranty
All current Volkswagen vehicles are fully protected during manufacture against through corrosion for 12 years from the date of first registration.

The only preconditions are:

The defect must be reported to a member of the Volkswagen Authorised Repairer network as soon as it is discovered and within the warranty period.
 The perforation must not have been caused originally by damage, neglect, insufficient care or maintenance or by external corrosion (rusting).
 A member of the Volkswagen Authorised Repairer network must be advised about any rusting as soon as it is found.
 All body repairs will be carried out promptly in accordance with the manufacturer's specification and procedures, using only approved parts and materials, so the original level of anti-corrosion protection is maintained.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/warranty/new-car/terms-and-conditions

I dont understand how even when it clearly says 12 years from the date of first registration how they can go and say its only 10 years this is a clear breach of what they clearly state in the terms on their own website and information you get with your car.

I would love to speak to someone to find ot the legality of this as its not on at all.
2017 Vw Golf R Mk7.5
310ps
Lapiz Blue
Dynamic Chassis Control

Offline Shiz94

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 09:01:15 pm »
Thanks for the reply guys , I've been doing as suggested and going through the forum there is a wealth of information on here !!. Alas I've decided I won't be pushing for a goodwill I'll just have to get it sorted myself no bother in the mean time I've been correcting interior rattles and all the panel gaps which same to plague these cars, did my first service I also noticed when cleaning it its had a SMART repair done on the passenger rear door lower how I missed it when purchasing idk but it is what it is and ill have to fix that too.

Offline GitFlog

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 09:56:36 pm »
I rang VW UK the Headquarters in Milton Keynes the other day and spoke to a guy about the warranty. It is a 12year warranty not 10 and 2 good will that's rubbish. If you are having problems with getting your local dealer to stick by the legal terms of the 12 year warranty you need to get in touch with VW UK Hq and talk to them.
2017 Vw Golf R Mk7.5
310ps
Lapiz Blue
Dynamic Chassis Control

Offline Shiz94

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 09:50:19 pm »
Thanks flog
I try again tomorrow although the last time I tried the wasn't very helpful

Offline GitFlog

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 11:57:15 am »
Ring around dealers some go by the 12year warranty i have a thread going atm where i am legally looking into this all now as its getting to me and i am calling VW out on it.
2017 Vw Golf R Mk7.5
310ps
Lapiz Blue
Dynamic Chassis Control