Make a donation

Author Topic: Akispap's black GTI build thread  (Read 9762 times)

Offline akispap

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Akispap's black GTI build thread
« on: May 11, 2018, 10:01:46 pm »
Hey everyone!

I have been watching hundreds of topics here, but just recently started being active!
The truth is I always wanted to start a build thread but never bothered doing one, well until now!

First things first, I'm Akis and I'm coming from Greece, I have been living in the UK for almost two years now!
I live in Newbury, Berkshire.(In case anyone wants to meet!)
When I came to England, I drove my way here with my MK5 Golf GT 1.4 and had here until two months ago.
I really loved this car, had it for 5 years and never ever had an issue with it. I had to take it back to Greece though and sell it. Was very sad to see it go, and probably the car was sad as well, cause the day I sold it, it got an engine light coming on, for the chain tensioner!
Anyway, as I needed another car here, I went again for a MK5 but a GTI this time ;) I found one with 125000 miles on it, which seemed to be in ok condition for the money he asked. It had all the extras I was looking though, so I bought it! Here are some pictures of my old one, and the new one!

The day I brought the GTI home!

Greek GT!

The interior was immaculate!
To be honest I don't know which path I'm going to follow on the GTI, I'm not a big fan of speed, for the moment I'm trying to bring it back to it's original glory!
I try to do as much stuff as I can by my self as I really enjoy all these DIY, and also because I had some bad experiences with garages in the past and heard so many stories, that I simply don't trust other people on my car!
I will keep posting with the jobs I've done so far!

« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 02:07:50 am by akispap »

Offline akispap

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Akispap's black GTI build thread
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 11:13:20 pm »
So as soon as I got the GTI I started sorting the problems one by one..
First thing, the hood cable had snapped, I couldn't open it! Found a way and fixed it.
Changed all the usual stuff that can cause annoying problems:
PCV rev. R
Spark plugs NGK Iridium X
R8 Coils
That little valve which you can see in the pic

Also installed the DV+ by GFB. Luckily my stock DV was probably changed recently as it was still in good condition.

I added some additives in the tank and drove a few miles until I empty it. Liquid Moly Valve Cleaner, and injection cleaner.
Also did an oil & filter change. I always use Liquid Moly products as I am very satisfied with them, so Liquid Moly Top Tec 4200 5-30.
Engine runs much better now. The car looks it was neglected for a long time.

Gave the inside a quick clean!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 11:18:16 pm by akispap »

Offline Sessions

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 10:53:52 pm »
Looks tidy look forward to seeing all the mods. Best to keep it documented too. Makes you realise how much you have done, when you look back in a few years.

Offline akispap

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 02:03:08 am »
Thanks!
Did a few more things last week.

Changed the dsg oil and filter.

I did the basic settings on VCDS and saw a big difference, gears change smoother now and no shaking when changing from P to R or D. Happy days! ;)

Offline akispap

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 02:06:21 am »
I also did the cam follower. I was hesitating in the beginning but saw some DIYs and decided to give it a go. All good :)
P.S That banjo bolt is a real PITA..

It wasn't as bad as I was afraid it would be..

And I installed an induction kit, went for the ramair as I read good reviews and many people use them. I think I accidentally ordered the oversized but I didn't bothered changing it, might need it for later ;)
That sound is crazy now! So much noise, and that DV!

Offline akispap

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 02:10:53 am »
I gave it a proper wash, clayed and then polished and waxed by hand. I used autoglym pure shampoo, SRP for polishing, and a collinite 845 wax. The colour has some swirl marks but it's pretty good condition for that age. I want to get my hands to a DA polisher and try it on the car, but I have no experience at all so I won't do anything yet. Might start with the headlights first!

Pictures after wash and polish.

Reflection from the door!

In Greece we say, if you want to rain just wash your car, here is like a standard I guess lol, good chance to see that beading from the wax!

« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 02:12:26 am by akispap »

Offline akispap

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 02:18:06 am »
I also ordered and replaced my passenger's auto dimming mirror as the one I had was broken. They cost a small fortune and are getting hard to find! I have all 3 mirrors auto dimmed, I haven't seen many cars like this, but then again I'm thinking that once they break it, they replace it with a non dimming one.

Question: Can this be fixed by wet sanding and polishing the headlights?
I can't say if it's from the outside or inside..

I also got a rear xenon level sensor to change. Looking for a front one now.
Are there any differences in different MY? Or all the same? Which part number should I be looking for?

I booked it in tomorrow to change one of my engine mounts, and the rear springs as one is broken.. Will also get an alignment. I have a feeling that my rear right wheel has a slight negative camber, and I read somewhere here that it is a common issue? Not sure. Will see tomorrow!

That's all for now!

Thanks, Akis

Offline Hryszko

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 08:43:45 am »
I also did the cam follower. I was hesitating in the beginning but saw some DIYs and decided to give it a go. All good :)

And I installed an induction kit, went for the ramair as I read good reviews and many people use them. I think I accidentally ordered the oversized but I didn't bothered changing it, might need it for later ;)

Hi man, firstly the car looks awesome! Really good project you have going on. I have a couple of questions!

What oil do I need for a DSG service? / how much did it all cost (& is it easy to do it yourself?)

Secondly, i've literally just installed a ram-air filter myself and it looks like we've put the silicone pipes in different places.. (see picture)

I'm trying to figure out who's put the silicone pipe in the wrong place haha, I thought the one that had a bigger top and thinner bottom went onto the turbo inlet pipe?

Offline mk1mad

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 08:49:40 am »
Good work paintwork has come up nice.

Yes a wet sand and polish will bring the headlights up like new. Somewhere on here is a useful guide.
Edition 30
Golf Mk1 5vT

Offline akispap

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 12:13:11 pm »

Hi man, firstly the car looks awesome! Really good project you have going on. I have a couple of questions!

What oil do I need for a DSG service? / how much did it all cost (& is it easy to do it yourself?)

Secondly, i've literally just installed a ram-air filter myself and it looks like we've put the silicone pipes in different places.. (see picture)

I'm trying to figure out who's put the silicone pipe in the wrong place haha, I thought the one that had a bigger top and thinner bottom went onto the turbo inlet pipe?

Hey, thanks!
About Dsg oil I would use either the OEM or the ones I used. I guess there are other brands as well but I wouldn’t go for them as I like Liqui Moly. The cost was slightly less than changing them in VW which was about 190£. I paid 12£ for filter, 92£ For 6 bottles but I only needed 5, 24£ for the filling hose, and around 20-25£ for some tools I was missing. It’s fairly easy I’d say. Make sure to do the basics settings through VCDS after you change the oil.

About the induction if you look closely, we have different ones, mine is the oversized one, we both installed them properly don’t worry! :)

Offline Hryszko

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 09:17:53 am »

Hey, thanks!
About Dsg oil I would use either the OEM or the ones I used. I guess there are other brands as well but I wouldn’t go for them as I like Liqui Moly. The cost was slightly less than changing them in VW which was about 190£. I paid 12£ for filter, 92£ For 6 bottles but I only needed 5, 24£ for the filling hose, and around 20-25£ for some tools I was missing. It’s fairly easy I’d say. Make sure to do the basics settings through VCDS after you change the oil.

About the induction if you look closely, we have different ones, mine is the oversized one, we both installed them properly don’t worry! :)

Ah perfect, thanks for that info! I'll look into getting mine done.

That makes sense, yeah I noticed it actually after I had posted that they looked slightly different but I thought i'd ask anyway!

Mine has created such a nice swooshy and blow off sound that I really wasn't expecting!

Offline akispap

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2018, 01:33:01 am »
So this night when I started the car ro come back from work, I got an airbag fault..
Im guessing it's the seat connectors? I will plug it to VCDS tomorrow and see what it says..
Damn I hate yellow lights on my dash!!!  :sick:

Offline akispap

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 05:36:08 pm »
I bought a DA polisher and found the chance to fix my headlights. The result was pretty good!

I got a nice T shirt and a sticker that went on the car :)

Happy days :)

Offline dronners

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2018, 06:01:19 pm »
car looks good.. you'd never know it had 125k on it

Offline akispap

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2018, 12:16:42 am »
I finally installed the new xenon level sensors front and back as mine were both broken.
The front on was really easy took about 20 minutes in total.

The rear was real PITA as the bolts were rusted and rounded.. after trying about two hours with no luck, I took it to a local garage and we cut the bolts. Installed the new ones with stainless steel bolts to avoid anything similar in the future.

As I was leaving, all of a sudden my car started sounding like it was fitted with a straight pipe so I knew something was wrong with my exhaust.. It seems to be somewhere at the downpipe but I will take it to someone to have a look at it.. Is it ok to drive it as it is for a few days? I don't enjoy the sound too much tbh. But the real question is...

Weld it or go for an upgrade????
 :thinking:

Also changed my bulbs with some D2s Osram cool blues.. They light up nicely!!

Cheers!