Make a donation

Author Topic: My car has woken up lately  (Read 2800 times)

Offline Gtcpaul1971

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 3
  • Graphite blue 54 plate 5 Dr gti.
    • Email
  • My Ride: Graphite blue, 54 plate gti
My car has woken up lately
« on: June 25, 2018, 07:26:38 pm »
Well my car has finally woken up lately after being a bit sluggishness for a while. When I first got her she was down in power etc and had not been lovingly looked after just the usual yearly. service. I had the pvc and all that jazz done and she was a lot better. Then over the cold period she went slow again.
Well my partner has been using her for ages and not me and drives like an old lady. So I wondered if the ecu thought this is how they drive so f*ck it I'm taking my time?
Well recently there has been a big change in her. She is eager and feels a lot faster.
Things that have changed
1, I have been heavy right footed and used her lots.
2, Changed from using TESCO 99 to Shell V power.
3, Had an oil change.

Any ideas?
Graphite blue 54 plate.

Offline GTIEagles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
Re: My car has woken up lately
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 10:18:57 pm »
I will put my money on your heavy right foot restoring the lost power. Probably burnt off years off carbon deposits by driving it hard! Good old Italian tune up!

Offline DBXdarkangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 01:27:41 pm »
Maybe stop calling it a "her"... it's a lump of mental not a women. 🙄

Offline Rob1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 24
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 02:53:35 pm »
In all honesty the debate between momentum and Vpower has been talked about on numerous forums, I think boils down to personal choice. I have used both over the last year and in all honesty I have not noticed any real difference in performance.

Not sure of your mileage on your car, but would make a significant difference to the performance and decreased petrol usage is an inlet manifold clean. I had this done to mine by rtech in Hinckley last year and wow what a difference in performance and petrol consumption especially on long journeys.

This forum has a lot of useful info but it is not as active as it was two - three years ago, if your not a me,ber of edition30 Facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/649587385143146/)

It may be worth joining as it is more active
Black Ed30

Offline Gtcpaul1971

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 04:47:33 pm »
It has done 120k miles. Put a can of BG44K in today so going to see if that improved things further? I really have no idea. I will say that sometimes it still goes back to feeling sluggish again. Turbo?
Cheers
Graphite blue 54 plate.

Offline Chesto18

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 05:20:29 pm »
MAF sensor on way out?

Offline Gtcpaul1971

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 08:17:02 pm »
I did spray the MAF sensor with that stuff a while back and made no difference. Maybe the sensor is knackered?
Graphite blue 54 plate.

Offline Chesto18

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 10:19:59 am »
There’s a thread somewhere on here about a dodgy cam sensor causing intermittent power issues. Can’t really comment myself as no experience of this but I remember reading the thread.

Best get it scanned and go from there rather than guess. Find a local garage that can do this then come back here with the codes and I’m sure the more knowledgeable members will point you in the right direction.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2018, 07:30:16 am »
There’s a thread somewhere on here about a dodgy cam sensor causing intermittent power issues. Can’t really comment myself as no experience of this but I remember reading the thread.

Best get it scanned and go from there rather than guess. Find a local garage that can do this then come back here with the codes and I’m sure the more knowledgeable members will point you in the right direction.
This is what I'd be inclined to advise.

The fact the car has perked up alongside ambient temps being high points to something not being quite right - especially on a forced induction engine.

Mine sometimes feels 10-20bhp down in this weather, which theoretically is what you'd expect. In winter and around 5-10 degrees (when the tyres have a chance of traction) it feels up on power slightly and boosts harder, which again is 'normal'.

No harm at all getting VCDS plugged in or even doing some data logging just to be sure of what's going on.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 07:09:41 pm »
Feeling perkier when it's hot outside isn't necessarily a bad sign.  There's a funny physics law with gases, I think it's Boyle's law.  My high school physics is a bit rusty.  For every 10 degree increase in air temperature, oxygen reduces 3%, or something around there.   Engine ECUs have this compensation built in, via the MAF's temp sensor and the exterior temp sensor.  So if it's 30 degrees outside (ignoring the actual intake temp sensor for now), you'd expect 9% less fuel being burned (mpg should improve also) compared to 0 degrees ambient, and lean mixtures make more power than rich ones  :happy2:

Mine feels better in summer than it does winter.  Sign of a weak fuel pump?  Not sure, but the logs always look fine.  Weird.   It also has a weird dead zone when it's between 10-15 degrees ambient where it feels a bit flat.  Odd.

And in the winter months, more fuel is added the colder it gets as the air contains more oxygen.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 07:14:53 pm by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Gtcpaul1971

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2018, 08:52:29 pm »
Perhaps it is the weather. Mine sounds exactly like your Pudding! I think my car is related to yours as it has very similar quirks lol - remember the clutch noise when hitting bitting point? Still not got to the bottom of That!
Graphite blue 54 plate.

Offline andyiseddy02

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
  • My Ride: 2006 Passat SEL estate. 2.0 FSI T.
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 01:25:26 pm »
... it's a lump of mental not a women. 🙄
Same thing aren't they. :innocent: