Make a donation

Author Topic: Passat alloy wishbones to mk5 hubs  (Read 14731 times)

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 39
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110924.0.html
Re: Passat alloy wishbones to mk5 hubs
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2018, 06:51:39 am »
We're still trying out different solutions..
The problem is that to extend the adapter bracket to fit the alloy hubs it need to increase it's thickness to keep the same strenght. There isn't room for this ..

So bigger discs have been tried to move the calipers away from the center.. Didn't work out :thinking:

Now they are testing to see if they bracket can be made so the calipers sits abit higher in the current 312mm discs to make room for the needed thickness the brackets needs to be to before they are sure they will hold.

Steel brackets have also been tried but these wasn't strong anough either.

Hopefully within a week or so Mike should get back to me saying if they came up with a way to angle the calipers to make more room. If they don't it will not be possible to use 986 calipers to alloy hubs.. Atleast not with Vagbremtechnic adapters. :confused:
MK5 TDI 2.0 MY2005 - FULL OF RETROFITS:
MK6 dashboard - BCM converted - MK7 cruise control MFSW - PLA 2.0 - 3D instrument cluster - Discover Media 2 - Highline TPMS - 10ch Dynaudio system - KESSY with start button

Offline JamesED30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2018, 07:57:40 am »
Right. 😬
Looks like the ali hubs I’ve just got might be going back up for sale then. 😩

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2018, 11:44:05 am »
We're still trying out different solutions..
The problem is that to extend the adapter bracket to fit the alloy hubs it need to increase it's thickness to keep the same strenght. There isn't room for this ..

So bigger discs have been tried to move the calipers away from the center.. Didn't work out :thinking:

Now they are testing to see if they bracket can be made so the calipers sits abit higher in the current 312mm discs to make room for the needed thickness the brackets needs to be to before they are sure they will hold.

Steel brackets have also been tried but these wasn't strong anough either.

Hopefully within a week or so Mike should get back to me saying if they came up with a way to angle the calipers to make more room. If they don't it will not be possible to use 986 calipers to alloy hubs.. Atleast not with Vagbremtechnic adapters. :confused:

I highly doubt that if Vagbremtechnic can't make a good bracket, that anyone else will do it properly. With these Porsche calipers it's just simpler to keep the steel hubs. :sad1:

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2018, 01:16:20 pm »
Wouldn't it be better to fit Clubsport S brakes? Similar cost and weight (with alloy hubs) to NQSBBK but no issues wrt fit / operation / wheel clearance and good enough for a 'Ring record.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2018, 03:19:46 pm »
Wouldn't it be better to fit Clubsport S brakes? Similar cost and weight (with alloy hubs) to NQSBBK but no issues wrt fit / operation / wheel clearance and good enough for a 'Ring record.

For me those brakes are enough for 200 bhp for track use and 250-300 bhp for fast road use. With better discs (like the Clubsport S) and pads (PFC, Endless, Project Mu, Pagid RS, etc.) they can withstand more punishment before fading and overheating. :smiley:

Offline JamesED30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2018, 04:38:00 pm »

For me those brakes are enough for 200 bhp for track use and 250-300 bhp for fast road use. With better discs (like the Clubsport S) and pads (PFC, Endless, Project Mu, Pagid RS, etc.) they can withstand more punishment before fading and overheating. :smiley:
[/quote]

Which brakes are you talking about here buddy? Saying the mk7 brakes are no good, or the nqsbbk are!?

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2018, 07:06:14 pm »

I highly doubt that if Vagbremtechnic can't make a good bracket, that anyone else will do it properly. With these Porsche calipers it's just simpler to keep the steel hubs. :sad1:

Nah precise - I will not risk my brake performance on other brackets.

Hopefully they will make it possible if they angle the caliper to make more room for the thickness :)

Need to see these brakes on the car soon  :confused: :confused:
MK6 dashboard - BCM converted - MK7 cruise control MFSW - PLA 2.0 - 3D instrument cluster - Discover Media 2 - Highline TPMS - 10ch Dynaudio system - KESSY with start button

Offline JamesED30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2018, 08:47:35 pm »
Need to see these brakes on the car soon  :confused: :confused:
[/quote]

I’m in pretty much the same situation. Fingers crossed Mike gets this all sorted ASAP!! Is Mike on here?

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2018, 10:36:56 pm »

Which brakes are you talking about here buddy? Saying the mk7 brakes are no good, or the nqsbbk are!?

The mk7 R/GTI PP calipers are just a larger version of the mk5 GTI OEM calipers (they're floating calipers). They will still overheat and fade more easily if pushed hard. With better brake discs, pads and brake fluid they can take more punishment than stock, but fixed calipers with 4 or more pistons are better for hard braking.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2018, 05:51:23 pm »
Agree with that  :happy2:  I run the PP calipers, GTI pads and Clubsport S discs, which in all honesty is overkill for my (now standard) engine but with my coilovers and these brakes, I can corner faster and brake much later - which is where the real fun is  :smiley:   You can get Clubsport S specific pads, which are twice the price of the GTI ones.  I reckon those with CS S discs can withstand track days OK.   

Obviously nothing will compete with proper 4 or 6 pot calipers for pedal consistency, but ultimately it is the disc and pad combination which determines fade resistance.  The biggest headache with 4/6 pots is packaging, which is why the Clubsport S setup is so good.  It's cheap, quiet, doesn't need spacers, doesn't need different wheels, custom hoses or adapters  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline JamesED30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2018, 06:23:57 pm »
But still not as good as the NQSBBK 312mm kit with decent boxster s pads (modified) you would say??

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2018, 06:45:32 pm »
Dunno, haven't tried them but on paper I would say not, imo. 

Why?  Because a 340 x 30mm disc has more leverage and heat dissipation capacity than a 312 x 25 disc, not to mention bigger pad surface area for more friction and heat transfer into the disc.   Calipers are only half the story.  The porsche calipers on the 340x30 disc, yeah, that would be a good mod, but on the 312 disc, I can't see the point personally, other than aesthetics, oh and weight reduction!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 06:50:51 pm by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2018, 06:51:35 pm »
Audi Q5 brakes is also 4 pot brembo and they bolts straight the mk5 hubs using 345 disc Incase anyone are looking for brake upgrade without all this hazzle hehe..

No word from Mike yet - will keep you posted in here

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2018, 06:27:19 pm »
All right - as promised an update as soon Mike got back to me.
There’s no possible solutions left to solve the problem and none of the solutions were able to work properly and be save.

So conclusion is that if you have or want to drive with 312mm disc to Porsche 986 calipers you have to have the genuine mk5 steel hubs in order to make this setup work.

———-
Is the Seat Leon Cupra running alloy wishbones and steel hubs standard or does this have alloy hubs also?

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2018, 06:45:46 pm »
The Cupra has alloy hubs.