Make a donation

Author Topic: UAE import problems.  (Read 2995 times)

Offline BaldwinGTI

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
UAE import problems.
« on: May 17, 2018, 12:05:30 pm »
After some help if possible..

I’ve been trying to claim the wing corrosion with VW. Long story short they are telling me that the vehicle is an import from UAE, which means they won’t honour the 12 years.
I have all the documents to show that it was 1st registered and then driven in the UK.

I’ve spoken to loads of people and not sure who to make a fuss with next??

Has anyone had this issue and can you advise what to do next?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline GitFlog

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
Re: UAE import problems.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 12:35:24 pm »
It sounds like VW being VW unfortunately.

how many years was it since it was first registered?

Sounds like you will have to start legal action as it clearly says 12 year warranty on the VW website.
2017 Vw Golf R Mk7.5
310ps
Lapiz Blue
Black Vienna Leather Interior
19" Pretoria Alloy Wheels
Dynamic Chassis Control

Offline BaldwinGTI

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 01:26:57 pm »
It sounds like VW being VW unfortunately.

how many years was it since it was first registered?

Sounds like you will have to start legal action as it clearly says 12 year warranty on the VW website.

It’s at 10 years and 10months since first registration. I’m hoping at the moment I can go down the route of.. This doesn’t look good for VW. I thought your customer service was A1 and if you do this I can tell everyone how amazing VW are and maybe in a year or two I’ll buy a golf R from new!! 

By legal action do you mean small claims??

Thanks for the reply.

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 01:47:27 pm »
From what others have been saying, the last 2 years of warranty is goodwill based and VW UK don't tend to keep any of that in stock.

Offline jgalla89

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 03:09:31 pm »
Honestly I wouldn't bother with VW, you may get lucky but they've been a pain with me! Car is 10.5 years old with full extensive history from new all with VW.

I tried to put a claim in but after various contradictions from the local dealer and VWUK they have declined, they brought up the 2 years goodwill a lot too. Their reasons for rejecting were...

- The arch is a moving part (really!??)
- I bought the car sold as seen (how that invalidates warranty I'll never know)

In their words...'The corrosion on your vehicle was caused by a foam pad rubbing on the inner wing. This compromises the protective surface of the paint and moisture enters under the paint. It is,therefore, caused by external factors and is not covered by the 12 year warranty. '

So it was caused by something they fitted to the car but blame it on external factors???

Basically told me if im not happy go to the financial ombudsman. Some people have been lucky though so try and push it! Luckily my drivers arch only has a small amount of rust under the paint so once it breaks through ill buy some genuine wings from TPS and get them done independently, looking about £600 all in for both sides done including blending.

Offline GitFlog

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 03:39:40 pm »
can someone please point me out to where VW say that its 10 years with 2 years good will??

from what i can read on the VW website it says 12 years plain and simple
Also it says this in my documents i have for my car and they cant just decide that they changed their mind that would be totally illegal and leave them open to prosecution.

Has anyone who had had problems got real legal advice about this??

Thanks
2017 Vw Golf R Mk7.5
310ps
Lapiz Blue
Dynamic Chassis Control

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 450
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 04:09:56 pm »
Not meaning to be negative but what was the build date of your car? 
It's well known that some cars from the middle East that have ended up in the UK have been stored in the desert for months/years. In the past importers like Motorpoint imported a lot of these cars...
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline GitFlog

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 04:20:26 pm »
I have rand VW just now to clear everything up.
This is what i have been told by the VW warranty guy.

"It is a 12 year warranty"
"it has to be the original paint and the original part and has to be a certain type of corrosion IE of fault of the build design and not caused by other contributing factors outside of VW hands"

So yes if your car is under 12 years old and has the problem on the wings VW should take this under warranty as long as the factors are as they have said, so no extra paint or parts as it left the factory on day 1.

This was what i was told 5min ago when talking to VW.
2017 Vw Golf R Mk7.5
310ps
Lapiz Blue
Dynamic Chassis Control

Offline jgalla89

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 04:34:14 pm »
I was told 12 years by one person at dealer but another at same dealer and VWUK said 10 plus 2 years goodwill. My local dealer said it didn't have to be original paint either just had to be less than 300 microns on a paint reader which mine were. Seems to be different everywhere but most say all sorts and eventually they fob you off.

Some people get lucky though....

Offline jgalla89

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 04:35:57 pm »
Also VWUK said the rust on mine was caused by the manufacturer fitted foam pad on the wing but said this would only come under the 3 year warranty not 12. Not sure anyone at VW knows really!

Offline GitFlog

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 05:57:41 pm »
I spoke to the main VW Main UK Headquarters in Milton Keynes and that was what i was told from them.

The warranty is 12 years if anywhere tells you different they are full of crap and trying to fob you off.

In plain black and white on the VW website it says 12 years and also on your warranty booklet for your car.

By law this is legally binding within the conditions outlined. The legally can not go back on what is there in plain black and white if they did they would be open for prosecution.

If the dealer you take your car to says 10 years and all that crap ring VW UK Headquarters and tell them raise a complaint with them and they will help you.
2017 Vw Golf R Mk7.5
310ps
Lapiz Blue
Dynamic Chassis Control

Offline BaldwinGTI

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 08:45:47 pm »
Honestly I wouldn't bother with VW, you may get lucky but they've been a pain with me! Car is 10.5 years old with full extensive history from new all with VW.

I tried to put a claim in but after various contradictions from the local dealer and VWUK they have declined, they brought up the 2 years goodwill a lot too. Their reasons for rejecting were...

- The arch is a moving part (really!??)
- I bought the car sold as seen (how that invalidates warranty I'll never know)

In their words...'The corrosion on your vehicle was caused by a foam pad rubbing on the inner wing. This compromises the protective surface of the paint and moisture enters under the paint. It is,therefore, caused by external factors and is not covered by the 12 year warranty. '

So it was caused by something they fitted to the car but blame it on external factors???

Basically told me if im not happy go to the financial ombudsman. Some people have been lucky though so try and push it! Luckily my drivers arch only has a small amount of rust under the paint so once it breaks through ill buy some genuine wings from TPS and get them done independently, looking about £600 all in for both sides done including blending.

If I try and fail I may look at your option. £600 is no small amount.  However the rest of the car is solid as a rock and if £600 means back to new I’ll probably do it.

Offline BaldwinGTI

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 08:47:47 pm »
Not meaning to be negative but what was the build date of your car? 
It's well known that some cars from the middle East that have ended up in the UK have been stored in the desert for months/years. In the past importers like Motorpoint imported a lot of these cars...

I believe this is probably what happened but this car was definitely first registered by a VW dealer in the UK. I personally think it’s proper naughty behaviour. The first person to buy it “brand new” was basically lied to!

Offline BaldwinGTI

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 08:50:16 pm »
I spoke to the main VW Main UK Headquarters in Milton Keynes and that was what i was told from them.

The warranty is 12 years if anywhere tells you different they are full of crap and trying to fob you off.

In plain black and white on the VW website it says 12 years and also on your warranty booklet for your car.

By law this is legally binding within the conditions outlined. The legally can not go back on what is there in plain black and white if they did they would be open for prosecution.

If the dealer you take your car to says 10 years and all that crap ring VW UK Headquarters and tell them raise a complaint with them and they will help you.

I’ve just this minute emailed VW with photos to back up my claim. My plan is to basically make myself as much as a nuisance as possible. Keep going back again and again until I get bored. And hope they get bored before I do! I might even get a relative who works for a solicitor to knock me up a letter. See if that helps. Nothing to lose really as I’m the cars 5th owner.

Offline GitFlog

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 10:46:02 pm »

I’ve just this minute emailed VW with photos to back up my claim. My plan is to basically make myself as much as a nuisance as possible. Keep going back again and again until I get bored. And hope they get bored before I do! I might even get a relative who works for a solicitor to knock me up a letter. See if that helps. Nothing to lose really as I’m the cars 5th owner.

Thats a very good idea load yourself up with ammo where ever you can and dont forget to keep a paper trail. Alot of people who have had this trouble with VW and have got legal with them have been very affective in what they have done.

I wonder if we get as many people who are having trouble with VW and go to a solicitor and publicly take legal action claiming breach of terms and conditions as nowhere does VW say that you have to own the car from new and that it is anything other than 12 years.
With everything that VW have been caught doing recently a publc case against them breaching terms and conditions would hit them where it hurts, the only trouble is money to pay for it unless we can find a solicitor to go probo.

Anyone know a solicitor who is into their Dubs??? haha
2017 Vw Golf R Mk7.5
310ps
Lapiz Blue
Dynamic Chassis Control