Make a donation

Author Topic: Thinking of buying a Mk5 GTI...  (Read 1901 times)

Offline mcscoobs

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Thinking of buying a Mk5 GTI...
« on: May 18, 2018, 09:13:01 am »
Morning all!

I currently have a leased Skoda Octavia vRS, but that lease is ending in June. I cover too many miles for my daily commutes (roughly 500 miles per week), so leasing isn't really an option. So I'm looking at buying something 2nd hand, for approximately £5k and just plan on driving it into the ground :)

I know consumption isn't amazing on a golf, but the 5 door GTI still really appeals.... I need to have something fun to drive, even if most my mileage is motorway miles. I have 2 kids with a 3rd on the way, but I'll rarely have all the kids at the same time in the car... though boot space is a concern?

Have seen a fair few GTIs on Autotrader within that budget, though don't really want to be buying something with more than 95k miles on the clock if I plan on keeping it for a little while.

Any advice you can give a potential Golf GTI owner? Hoping to slightly tweak it with a cheeky remap, induction and possibly exhaust, but that's pretty much it.

Offline Brad_ED30

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
Re: Thinking of buying a Mk5 GTI...
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 08:03:36 pm »
Stretch to an edition 30 if you can, worth it in my oppinion. Especially when a stage 1 remap can take you to 300bhp too.

Offline GitFlog

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 11:23:26 pm »
if you are going to just drive it into the ground and do lots of mileage get a tdi or something good on fuel waste of money and fuel getting a gti and for under 5k with low mileage it will be a shed needing money spending on it unless your really lucky.

Why buy a gti to run into the ground if you do that you will get huge bills if you decide to fix it when i does go wrong
2017 Vw Golf R Mk7.5
310ps
Lapiz Blue
Black Vienna Leather Interior
19" Pretoria Alloy Wheels
Dynamic Chassis Control

Offline SpudGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 08:23:54 pm »
if you are going to just drive it into the ground and do lots of mileage get a tdi or something good on fuel waste of money and fuel getting a gti and for under 5k with low mileage it will be a shed needing money spending on it unless your really lucky.

Why buy a gti to run into the ground if you do that you will get huge bills if you decide to fix it when i does go wrong
Words of wisdom i needed when i bought mine :( bought my GTI on 70k for 5500 and had the following needed doing a month or two after buying her

4 new tyres

Flywheel £850 bill

Cam chain £500 bill

Oil sensor and pickup pipe £250 bill with 1 of the services

Dsg service

Full service x3

Now on 90k saving for cam belt waterpump

Plus i need 2 new springs on back like it when i bought it both cracked needs discs all round

Other than that the golf was spotless no paint issues no interior marks looked like showroom conditon but NEVER JUDGE A BOOK FROM ITS COVER

But i love the car and have a okish payed job to keep on top of her JUST i have 2 kids 1 5 little one 3 good room for them plus adult in middle

Boot size is pretty darn decent to be fair ;)

Personally i would never look back from my GTI came from a vectra estate to GTI and love it but please take into account what may need doing whilst you own it

I had a remap induction kit exhaust and freeking love it always looking for more things todo but cambelt job is next
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 08:31:51 pm by SpudGTI »

Offline Chesto18

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 05:41:29 pm »
Do it, but as above there are a few essential jobs that need to be carried out at higher mileage, including Diverter valve, cam follower, and rear shocks.

Mine came with very good main dealer history but even then the above jobs hadn’t been done at 110k (last VW service around 85k).

If you drive a higher mileage example and it doesn’t feel particularly quick or boosty, it’s likely the diverter valve. Plenty of info on here.

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 07:38:03 pm »
I bought a 5dr with 65k on a few months back. I've done

cam chain tensioner
sump off and new pick up
new thermostat
new pcv
new dv
discs and pads allround
brake fluid
dsg service
shocks and springs allround
new front bushes
couple of vacuum hoses
fuel filter
two oil changes
new coolant

The car now drives lots better but it's cost some money to get it that way.

I do 250 miles a week on mainly motorway and it costs me about £40 ish a week. I got the car as I wanted something I could have fun in when I had the opportunity. The boot is really good.

I've not had a hatchback for a few years and i really enjoy driving it, reminds me of my 205 gti from years ago. I had to search for a while to.find a nice example as most of the cars for sale were dogs.

Offline RetroRaz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 193
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 11:25:26 pm »
Mines going up for 5.5K soon.

Spec as below

VW Golf GTI

5 Door

Black

6 speed Auto DSG Gearbox

Leather heated seats

18" diamond cut alloys with Goodyear F1 E3 tyres  all round

Xenon Headlights with custom DRL strip and sweeping indicators, LED dipped and full beam bulbs

Rear R32 Lights with skyline mod

R32 Big Brake upgrade

Pre cat delete with Milltek catback exhaust

RTECH stage 1 remap 258BHP

Ramair air intake with modified engine cover

Multifunction steering wheel with F1 paddle shifts

Highline Trip Computer

Rear Parking Sensors

6 cd changer Radio system

Interior LED upgrade package

Tinted windows

110k mileage, drives smooth and solid engine!

HPI Clear

Full service History

DSG Gearbox services at 94K

GFB DV+ diverter valve

Work recently done, Timing belt, cam follower change, pcv valve change, oil pickup pipe changed, full service including NGK spark plugs, Powerflex Engine mount insert.

Planning on getting car cleaned and taking pics tomorrow

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 01:03:37 am »
that is good value