Make a donation

Author Topic: Coolant Temp  (Read 3212 times)

Offline Ben2901

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Coolant Temp
« on: May 24, 2018, 01:05:05 pm »
Hi All,

Was having issues with low coolant temp in my ed30. Monitoring via the hidden menu on the dual climate, I was getting 72 degrees whilst on the motorway but dropping away to 67 degrees when coming off throttle /going down hill. I've now had the main thermostat changed and the temp now sits at 85 degrees on the motorway and drops to 83 when pushing on in the car - rises to 90 when sat in traffic.

Is 85 degrees still a little low or is normal? The car gets up to heat much quicker with the new stat and the temp stays far more stable? But I can't help but feel it's still a little on the cold side? Booked in with R-tech on Tuesday for S2+ so I don't want to encounter any issues with the car holding back because of the coolant temp.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
Re: Coolant Temp
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 06:49:33 pm »
What does the gauge say? After I replaced my thermostat the gauge reads bang on 90deg.

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 07:55:58 pm »
my temp gauge took one million years to get upto 90, new thermostat made everything better.

Mk5tdi

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 11:48:49 pm »
2005 golf plus 2.0tdi. First losing coolant rapidly, no overheating. Changed water pump, had to do all belts to do so £500 gone. Changed housing gasket on the side of the head £90 gone. Now when driving at normal 30mph temp stills normal at 90° if put under pressure temp will rise, sometimes to 120° but no warning lights come on but coolant reservoir will throw coolant out the top. Fans are working. I'm guessing its one of two problems either Thermostat or head gasket but I'm hoping its not the latter. Any advise or opinions would be appreciated as I'm losing my patience and heading towards an early grave lol.

Offline Ben2901

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 03:17:33 pm »
What does the gauge say? After I replaced my thermostat the gauge reads bang on 90deg.
Gauge reads bang on 90 now but AFAIK the gauge reads anywhere between 75-110 whilst on 90? Just wanted to make sure that 85 degrees is normal operating temps and it's not going to cause me any issues whilst tuning.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 11:49:13 pm »
NEVER rely on dash coolant temperature gauge to give an exact reading.  They are purposely designed to have a 'dead zone' at the 90deg (or whatever 'normal' may be) mark.  It obvs varies by model, but it is not uncommon for a gauge to read 90 - but the actual coolant temperature can be between 75 to 105 deg C.

The GTI (like virtually all cars now) use a specific 'Coolant Control Module' ECU - this is what feeds the dash temperature gauge, and also what powers the cooling fans.  There are two coolant temperature sensors, and both need to be working correctly - one on the radiator, and one on either the cylinder head or thermostat housing.  Oddly, actual thermostats are generally the most reliable component in the cooling system.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~