Make a donation

Author Topic: Brake fluid for everyday fastroad use?  (Read 2351 times)

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 39
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110924.0.html
Brake fluid for everyday fastroad use?
« on: May 27, 2018, 06:54:37 pm »
Hi guys..

So I did buy some genuine VW brake fluid to flush my system with when the brakes are changed front and rear … however I guess there's something better out on the market than the fluid VW has to offer?

The car is used as a daily driver and some fast road use over longer distances - I've got "NQS BBK" setup front and rear.. Both sets are completely rebuilded :)
I guess it'll never reach boiling point since the car never see a track day but I still want the best suitable brake fluid out there..

Which brake fluid are you guys using?

Castrol React Performance Fully Synthetic
Motul RBF 600 Factory Line Racing Fully Synthetic
Millers Oils Racing Brake Fluid 300 Plus
ATE TYP 200 Brake

MK5 TDI 2.0 MY2005 - FULL OF RETROFITS:
MK6 dashboard - BCM converted - MK7 cruise control MFSW - PLA 2.0 - 3D instrument cluster - Discover Media 2 - Highline TPMS - 10ch Dynaudio system - KESSY with start button

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
Re: Brake fluid for everyday fastroad use?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 07:12:58 pm »
I just bought the ATE for my car but have yet to fit it (along with Endless MX72 pads / bronze bushes / HEL hoses).

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 09:18:40 pm »
Standard DOT4 whatever VW use for mine  :smiley:

Change it every 2 years regardless of what make of fluid you use.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 10:51:27 pm »
A generic DOT4 fluid is NOT recommended by VW.  They specifically recommend a brake fluid which meets VW501.14 (I think!).  Basically, unless you are racing in the BTCC or similar, the genuine VW brake fluid (in the metal tins) is the best fluid.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 04:57:12 pm »
501.14 conforms to the same DOT4 standard as most other fluids.  The frequency of change is more important than the brand.   I've used Mobil, ATE, Halfords own etc etc over the years - bugger all difference.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 11:14:49 pm »
501.14 conforms to the same DOT4 standard as most other fluids.
Not really.  DOT4 is frankly an ancient standard, developed by the Yanks, and crucially, long before any specific requirements of ABS, and even more crucially, ESP / DSC systems.

So whilst VW501.14 may well 'meet' the DOT4 specification - crucially, 501.14 'exceeds' DOT4 by a massive margin.  DOT4 specification fundamentally only refers to 'dry' boiling points and 'wet' boiling points - for brand new fluid from a sealed container.  DOT4 makes no requirements of longevity of fluid (so there is no performance testing over its usage lifespan).  Some DOT4 brews can go off exceedingly quickly.  But above and beyond boiling point requirements, the DOT4 specification has absolutely no requirement on fluid viscosity - NONE!  Modern ESP / DSC systems are highly reliant on very low viscosity brake fluids, and especially those from Conti Teves!  The VW501.14 not only includes the requirement for a very low viscosity, it also includes an extended in-use performance quality requirement (very similar to the 650 hour extended drain interval for LongLife engine oils, compared to the 300 hour requirement for non LL engine oils).

The frequency of change is more important than the brand.
I won't disagree with that!  :happy2:

Though brand does matter . . .

I've used Mobil, ATE, Halfords own etc etc over the years - bugger all difference.
Mobil and ATE are top-spec brands.  Halfords is now made by one of the top brands for them, though about 10 years ago and before, Halfrauds brake fluid was crap.

But there are some truly shyte DOT4 fluids from brands who ought to know better.  I have frequently seen a supposedly quality brand brake fluid go off, and pour like honey or even treacle.  Comma are particularly bad (as are all their oils  :sick:), as are the likes of Car Plan, Egol, and oddly many of the cheaper German brands.  The best pure DOT4 only brake fluid will be one made from a Shell Oils formulation.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~