Make a donation

Author Topic: DB9 brakes...what spacers you running?  (Read 4892 times)

Offline csrigo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Re: DB9 brakes...what spacers you running?
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2018, 02:01:46 pm »
Do you know what caliper model the Reyland kit supplies? 

AP Racing provide a wheel clearance template on their site for the MK5 6 pot kit, in the downloads tab - https://www.apracing.com/product_details/performance_upgrades/factory_big_brake_kits/vw/golf_mk5/mk6_and_scirocco_mk3-gti/tdi-front_6_piston_kit_cp5570-1015.aspx

I feel your pain.  I did this some years ago on a Corrado with an AP 330mm kit, which was quite a faff to fit.  A change of wheels and ball joint grinding was required.

Since that experience, I now prefer to make parts fit the car rather than making the car fit the parts, so I opted for the 340mm Clubsport S setup instead of 4-6 pot kits.
Probably not the same level of repeatability and fade resistance as your DB9 setup, but it works well enough on the road.  I reckon the CS S discs could stand up to track work, but you'd probably need some stickier pads.  This setup fits behind Pesceras with room to spare.  No spacers required  :happy2:

Cheers mate thanks for that very handy link I think I will be doing some measurements and contacting AP about the CP9200 calipers (as advertised on reyland site).

Lol I had a couple of low corrados myself back in the day...loved they cars would have another one ..and yeah some of the things you did back then to get the car how u wanted it looking/sounding was wild thinking back lol

To be fair I would have been more than happy with the CS S setup you have as have read good things and your defo right what your saying I hate having to modify the setup to such a degree just because of the brakes..cannot stand spacers, never have...again my fault tho. Maybe will only do 3 track days a year at knockhill but it does pound your brakes around there.

On a side note the brakes are immense both in terms of performance and looks (do not like the Aston logo tho bit cheesy for me tbh)...again not tracked them yet tho.

The wheel clearance is dependant on the disc offset among other things, but this technical drawing might help you determine the clearance of the CP9200 - https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwiEku20xsTbAhWFOcAKHZ45AMkQFggoMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.apracing.com%2Fproduct_details%2Fperformance_upgrades%2Froad_and_aftermarket_brake_calipers%2F4_piston_calipers%2Fcp9200-forged_front-152mm_mounting_ctrs.aspx&usg=AOvVaw0TiUicd_UlARwYHFsm6Wh5

It's very similar to the CP5200 I ran on the Corrado, which isn't a massive caliper, so you might be in luck  :happy2:   My Corrado was a bit of a beast because it had a Garret GT35R turbo strapped to it, so it needed some brakes!  The CP5200 on 330mm AP groove discs with Pagid RS15 pads was sublime.  Really, really nice setup  :happy2:  I got 60K out of the AP discs, worn way past their wear limit and still didn't fade or warp!

The only reason I got rid of the Corrado was because I just couldn't get any parts for it!  Either obsolete or on 1 - 6 month back order!

I learned a lot on that car, especially with spacers, wheel weights and offsets, scrub radius and roll centres.   In short, the factory get all of that right, so I've since avoided going too low and absolutely avoided spacers!

The CS S setup has some nice usable stopping power and I didn't really notice the increased weight.  When you already have silly heavy 12Kg Pesceras, a bit extra in brake weight makes no odds really :grin:

I bet they are!  They look the bizz with the J hook discs  :happy2:  Shame they don't fit without spacers!

Again cheers :happy2: I'm off today so will attempt to work out the clearances and see what I can come up with.

It's weird u mention the corrados I was talking about them the other day with my mate...ooft so you went deep and fitted the gt35r on the VR6 must have been rapid! Lol it's funny VR6s are basically what I was known for having (golfs included) but I never went the turbo route which was always the dream...mustve sounded tremendous love the VRs... I did drop a 1.8T (agu) in a 2.0l rado i had which was nippy in it's day.. had an old school Jabba map on it and an intercooler off an old merc van...cldve done with your brake setup lol.

Wish I kept the vr6s they go for stupid money now, back then loads of us locally had them cutting about....had a mulberry golf VR6 high line which was my baby for years..loved it.

Going to stick these brakes up for sale soon if anyone is interested..will post in the for sale section but can pm me if interested.

Offline csrigo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2018, 06:39:12 pm »
Here's another potential issue...the 12mm spacers are too close for my liking...its is definitely the minimum to run the car however the spacing is no good for a track day...especially in this weather.

Im thinking about trying the brakes out at knockhill on friday but i think im going to need to stick the 15mm spacers on for safety...i dont know how much caliper flex if any there is with these under pressure and also how significant thermo expansion is but im assuming it would caise them to collide(alloys included)?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2018, 05:18:36 pm »
Monitor the calipers for scuff marks.  There is generally a recommended minimum clearance but a hard track day is as good a test as any!

Any joy with the AP Racing route?  I reckon the CP5200/9200 might need smaller spacers and be just as powerful!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline csrigo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2018, 09:44:47 am »
Monitor the calipers for scuff marks.  There is generally a recommended minimum clearance but a hard track day is as good a test as any!

Any joy with the AP Racing route?  I reckon the CP5200/9200 might need smaller spacers and be just as powerful!

Cheers mate, yeah I have been checking constantly as I am conscious of it and there are no scuff marks as yet so I am assuming all good for normal driving...that's with some bad roads as well. Your right tho that a track day would test it out...just need the weather back don't even bother with it on track in the wet.

Tbh I haven't looked much further into the AP calipers as yet, I've concentrated setting up the car to a ride height that doesn't scuff but still sits close to how I like it. I think I have found a nice compromise just now, may stick some before and after pics up on my own page for comparison and people can see the difference with and without spacers and what adjustments I've had to make to run bigger brakes. I know this won't be the same for all as there are many variables in suspension setup and of course is all a matter of opinion/perspective.

@Pudding I will be tracking it soon to see how bad these spacers effect the handling and that will determine how quick I make the change....may go your CS S setup tbh save any hassle.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2018, 02:02:51 pm »
Can't complain about the CS S setup, even with the standard GTI pads.  VW do CS S specific pads which are over double the price, but not sure how good or bad they are.
The only negative of this setup is the weight, but on the road with decent dampers, the increase is barely noticeable  :smiley:  A slight softening of the bite at the top of the pedal, but otherwise no complaints  :happy2:   And being OEM, it's all silent, well, apart from a faint clicking noise from the drilled discs but that's only noticeable when driving alongside a wall or something.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D