Make a donation

Author Topic: Desktop Fan Query - Too Powerful, Even on Lowest Setting?  (Read 1503 times)

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
Desktop Fan Query - Too Powerful, Even on Lowest Setting?
« on: June 07, 2018, 10:26:00 am »
Another random one..... we bought a new fan from Tesco, a really nice looking copper 12" one, so thought that it would look ok in the lounge, to give a nice gentle waft of a breeze on hot days, but even on the lowest setting it speeds up after a few seconds to a real blast, and its quite loud in operation too. It goes even faster / louder on the next two settings.

Other fans we've had in the past have the 3 blade plastic rotar, and have been very quiet giving a gentle breeze on lowest setting, but this has four metal blades, so I'm wondering if the extra blade is the cause, requiring more power to drive the extra blade, hence being more fierce and louder??

Anyone else had the same problem, or maybe this is faulty, perhaps? I wonder if there's any way of slowing it down a bit? You could never have this on your desktop - it would blow your papers all over the place.... a shame, as otherwise it's a great looking fan.

Cheers chaps :thinking:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Desktop Fan Query - Too Powerful, Even on Lowest Setting?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 05:40:47 pm »
Has your fan got some kind of variable 'breeze / sleep' setting on it?   If not, it shouldn't be speeding up and slowing down of it's own accord.   

Fans can be hard to get right.  I really need one this time of year otherwise I can't sleep.  Foam mattress plus summer heat = sweaty uncomfortable sleep!!  On top of that, it has to be quiet otherwise the noise keeps me awake, being a light sleeper easily woken.

Last year I bought a Honeywell 'Quietset' fan which was very quiet, but flimsy plasticky crap.  That ended up in the bin.

This year I bought a 43" tower fan from John Lewis (their own brand) with remote and timer etc and that has been superb.  Very sturdy construction, quiet and does the job  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 09:37:13 am »
Has your fan got some kind of variable 'breeze / sleep' setting on it?   If not, it shouldn't be speeding up and slowing down of it's own accord.   

Fans can be hard to get right.  I really need one this time of year otherwise I can't sleep.  Foam mattress plus summer heat = sweaty uncomfortable sleep!!  On top of that, it has to be quiet otherwise the noise keeps me awake, being a light sleeper easily woken.

Last year I bought a Honeywell 'Quietset' fan which was very quiet, but flimsy plasticky crap.  That ended up in the bin.

This year I bought a 43" tower fan from John Lewis (their own brand) with remote and timer etc and that has been superb.  Very sturdy construction, quiet and does the job  :happy2:

No variable speed on this one, just the 1, 2 ,3. A bit weird that it gets faster on start up.... I did take a brief look at the Dyson ones, but can't justify the £400. Never really looked at the tower type either, but will have a look now.

I did buy an A/C unit a few years back, but the set up requirement with pipes and having to be properly ventilated, means that it's still in the box in the garage 5 years on. Wifey said it was an ugly thing too.
cheers

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 08:05:46 pm »
£400 is nuts, and to be honest they aren't all that anyway, just like their hoovers!

I would love AC but as you say, it's a faff!  They can dehydrate you in your sleep as well, so a gallon of water required on the bedside cabinet!

I can't complain about the John Lewis tower, works really well  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D