Make a donation

Author Topic: Totally off subject bathroom trubbles  (Read 3537 times)

Offline SpudGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Totally off subject bathroom trubbles
« on: June 08, 2018, 09:01:52 am »
Hi guys just wondering if anyone is in the bathroom fitting upgrading or just abit of DIY

What it is ive got a tiled flooring in our shower room with electric heated floor and the tiles are cracking and falling apart,

How easy will it be to get old tiles out and put new ones in place there is a space between heated floor and tile on top hence why there cracking and falling apart,

Can i put anything in between the tile and floor to stop them cracking or will i have to just keep replacing them?

2nd pic tile where the hole is that hole chunk to the left of hole is ready to come out ??

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline SpudGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Totally off subject bathroom trubbles
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 09:04:13 am »
The gap

Offline andyR43

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 11:36:30 am »
If you have a gap between your tile and the underfloor heating it's no wonder your tiles have cracked. They probably haven't used a suitable adhesive either.

Gently tap your tiles to crack them and make removal easier without damaging the heating. Clear all the debris off the heating elements and check that the heating is still working.

Re-lay your new tiles directly onto the heating elements using a suitable adhesive, I use Mapei Mapeker Rapid Set Tile Adhesive which wont crack under extreme temperature variations.

Keeping it original..............or not!!

Offline SpudGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 11:52:23 am »
If you have a gap between your tile and the underfloor heating it's no wonder your tiles have cracked. They probably haven't used a suitable adhesive either.

Gently tap your tiles to crack them and make removal easier without damaging the heating. Clear all the debris off the heating elements and check that the heating is still working.

Re-lay your new tiles directly onto the heating elements using a suitable adhesive, I use Mapei Mapeker Rapid Set Tile Adhesive which wont crack under extreme temperature variations.
Nice one Andy would it be worth getting somthing to make the tile sit on to stop this from happening as i to thought it was strange why theres a gap been left as over time they will crack like this has done? If so what would be best or will the stuff you use be like expanding foam sorta stuff?

Will try and get the rite tile from b&q (if they still do them) as previous owner had both bathrooms fitted by them

Thanks again dude

Offline andyR43

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 03:29:38 pm »
Just put the tile adhesive straight onto the heated floor system, as you would if you had no heated floor, then bed your tiles down onto the adhesive. Absolutely no need for a gap between the heated floor and the adhesive, your just wasting energy.

Keeping it original..............or not!!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 05:34:54 pm »
As above.  If there is a gap between the heating elements and the tiles, the heating will be way less effective anyway, so this is a good opportunity to put it right. 

Replace the tiles and use an adhesive that can handle 70 deg C.  In places like B&Q, appropriate tile adhesives are usually located right next to the underfloor heating parts.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline SpudGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 06:14:47 pm »
Thanks very much for the help guys :) will go down b&q and make a start this weekend yet again thanks very much

Offline GitFlog

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 09:32:18 pm »
Thanks very much for the help guys :) will go down b&q and make a start this weekend yet again thanks very much

dont ate your cash at b&q much cheaper elsewhere like toolstation, screwfix & mkm just find hat yu need online and check where its cheaper. Screwfix is owned by b&q btw
2017 Vw Golf R Mk7.5
310ps
Lapiz Blue
Black Vienna Leather Interior
19" Pretoria Alloy Wheels
Dynamic Chassis Control

Offline SpudGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 10:43:32 pm »

dont ate your cash at b&q much cheaper elsewhere like toolstation, screwfix & mkm just find hat yu need online and check where its cheaper. Screwfix is owned by b&q btw
Nice one Flog got a screwfix account so will pop up there haha top man didnt know that ;)

Offline GitFlog

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2018, 12:16:46 am »
more moneys for your car haha
2017 Vw Golf R Mk7.5
310ps
Lapiz Blue
Dynamic Chassis Control

Offline SpudGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2018, 12:35:30 pm »
Oh yes hahaha plus keeps the wife happy hahahahaha

Offline GitFlog

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2018, 01:46:35 pm »
Thats the one. Find all the most expensive stuff first tell her thats what it will cost.

Then when she comes to terms with the cost hit her with how clever you are and how much money you have saved :star: :star: :signLOL:

Then you can be like well thats some of the way to a TT420 turbo, and you were happy to spend it anyway sooooooooooo...... mwahahahahaha
2017 Vw Golf R Mk7.5
310ps
Lapiz Blue
Dynamic Chassis Control

Offline SpudGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2018, 06:06:46 pm »
Thats the one. Find all the most expensive stuff first tell her thats what it will cost.

Then when she comes to terms with the cost hit her with how clever you are and how much money you have saved :star: :star: :signLOL:

Then you can be like well thats some of the way to a TT420 turbo, and you were happy to spend it anyway sooooooooooo...... mwahahahahaha
Hahahaha your going to get me in trubble but what a very VERY good idear as she is nagging me to get on and do it plus sort the bedroom out ;)

Think this is going to be the way forward hehehe naught boy :D

Offline GitFlog

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2018, 09:17:05 pm »
she cant get mad she was happy to spend that money anyway you're just getting more stuff for it lol.

tell her you can get her to the shops faster with a bigger turbo haha
2017 Vw Golf R Mk7.5
310ps
Lapiz Blue
Dynamic Chassis Control

Offline SpudGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2018, 04:46:10 pm »
she cant get mad she was happy to spend that money anyway you're just getting more stuff for it lol.

tell her you can get her to the shops faster with a bigger turbo haha
Hahahahahaahaa defo get to the shops quicker with the k04 under the bonnet ;) managed to put it off till next weekend as getting prices ;) ;) so will get some more pennys for my GTI :D