Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk5 Gti handeling  (Read 1344 times)

Offline Ant b

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 4
Mk5 Gti handeling
« on: June 09, 2018, 10:24:27 pm »
Hello I like to drive my gti hard around the twistys
But when I do I’ve notiched the car handels abit soggy with quite abit of body roll,like it hard to keep you line round a bend or roundabout.
The mods the car has is
Stage 1
Yellow dogbone insert
Black front wishbone front bush
Fk coilovers(on the list to get changed after stage 2)

What would make the car stiffer and firmer in the bends,I’m getting 4 wheel alignment done aswell
red mk5 golf gti ks05 fak,ram air intake,3” downpipe/decat,dv+,bcs rev ll exhaust stage 1 remap.coilovers,whiteline rarb and depo projectors,
Edition 30 front splitter,r32/gti rear,r32 side skirts
Soon to be r tech stage 2

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
Re: Mk5 Gti handeling
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 08:48:14 am »
I would say that stiffer arbs are your next step and these will also help reduce understeer. I use the smaller H&R model as I didn’t want to lose much ride quality and this brand is both well made and silent. You might prefer their larger 28/24mm option.  Given the cost of alignment, I would also recommend fitting the SP balljoints to both correct roll centre and also get some more negative camber for sharper turn in.

Offline Ant b

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 07:36:10 pm »
I have thought abought a rear arb,looking at the white line 24mm one,have you got a link for them sp bushing please as I don’t really no what you mean
red mk5 golf gti ks05 fak,ram air intake,3” downpipe/decat,dv+,bcs rev ll exhaust stage 1 remap.coilovers,whiteline rarb and depo projectors,
Edition 30 front splitter,r32/gti rear,r32 side skirts
Soon to be r tech stage 2

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 04:48:39 pm »
How low are the coilovers set?  If they are set really low, try raising them to -20mm or so and see if things improve.  If there is an improvement, the roll centre is too low as Colesey said.   Passat/S3 spindles are better for lowering Golfs because the tie rod and ball joint mountings are lower down, therefore keeping the roll center close to factory with mild ride height drops.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D