Make a donation

Author Topic: Disabling ESP not ABS, monitoring DSG temps  (Read 3212 times)

Offline bricksnmortar

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
Disabling ESP not ABS, monitoring DSG temps
« on: August 16, 2018, 11:02:17 am »
Hi All,
I getting down to the details about building a Mk6 race car and I'm hoping for some input on two questions
First can you use VCDS to disable ESP but keep ABS? I see there is talk of removing a fuse but that kills both. On track I don't want the ESP to kill power when hopping over kerbs and I'd love to keep ABS especially in the wet.
Second is there something like a gauge you can plug into the ODB port to monitor DSG temps while you're driving? Am worried about temps and don't want to get a sudden limp mode situation on track if they start to get high.
thanks in advance

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
Re: Disabling ESP not ABS, monitoring DSG temps
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 11:46:43 am »
I know Auto Polar is working on getting the DSG oil temps available on the PolarFIS Advanced PF04 module. Still waiting for the updated firmware with that feature. Not sure if a BT OBDII reader with an app can check the DSG module and check the oil temp measuring blocks channels. :thinking:

Offline bricksnmortar

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 01:04:19 pm »
So in theory its just as 'simple' as using an ODB gauge pulling a value from a location ID, I'll write to them now, thanks.
Have you ever disabled the ESP on any of your Golfs?

Offline bricksnmortar

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 01:45:09 pm »
FYI this from Polar, sounds promising...
"We are working for add DSG temperatures in the next firmware updates, so very soon will be ready.
I can not confirm you exact date, cos is a hard development but will be in the next weeks."

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 05:02:46 pm »
The ESP off button will disable most of it. Do you have a solid yellow ESP off light on your cluster when you press it? The ABS will still work.

Offline bricksnmortar

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 05:34:05 am »
yes solid yellow. But it still is partly on. Can you completely get rid of it with a tune or is it not possible?

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 10:31:38 am »
yes solid yellow. But it still is partly on. Can you completely get rid of it with a tune or is it not possible?

It should be possible since I know R-Tech tweaks the TC to be more effective with high powered FWD cars (the tweak stops it from cutting power to the wheels, I think).

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 06:39:34 pm »
I believe you can do a hard disable on the MK6 ESP, but you cannot on the MK5.  It's always on.  It's proven useful on the road in icy conditions to be fair, but I can totally see why it would be a hindrance on the track!  It's mainly the steering angle vs torque request (throttle pedal) that throws the anvil down.  Annoying.

You should still keep the ABS and XDS functions with ESP off though.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 06:43:53 pm by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D