Make a donation

Author Topic: Steering rack?  (Read 6445 times)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Steering rack?
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2017, 01:55:54 pm »
Does it not give you the part number if you go into the steering controller with VCDS?

As for the steering weight, I thought you could adjust it yourself with VCDS?  I may have read that wrong though!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Dan_FR

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2017, 01:59:25 pm »
Part number from the steering controller is the part number of the steering controller, not the same as the rack part number, which can only be found after removing the rack from the car as it's under the heatshield. Short of this, visual inspection of the rack is your only option.

Gen 2 has a U shaped clamp on the passenger side of the rack that attaches it to the subframe, the Gen 1 rack has the fixing as part of the rack. Gen 3 only has the one bolt/fitting as already mentioned above. Once you look at pictures of a few on eBay you will see what I mean

Gen1 has user selectable steering weight, Gen 2 onwards is a fixed single profile that requires dealer flash to change
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 02:01:45 pm by Dan_FR »
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline sean.smithy94

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,107823.0.html
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2017, 10:24:23 pm »
Well the garage I took it to today also think its the steering rack, might sound like a silly question but are the edition 30s the same steering weight profile as gti?  Theres also a remanufactured gen 2 rack on eBay for £200, would this need the gti steering profile also flashed onto my car? Does anybody know how much of a top it is cost wise at the dealers to get the profile flashed and how much I could be looking at labour wise at an independent garage to have the new rack put on?

Offline kpowell911

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2019, 06:12:34 pm »
What are the symptoms of this? I have a knock when going full lock sometimes, usually when reverse parking? I presumed was a dodgy top mount?

Offline exodus_ste

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2019, 11:45:41 am »
Yours should be a Gen2 i believe. Easy to tell from underneath, the gen2 has 4 mounting bolts and the gen 3 has 3. Think the subframe change was only required if you had gen1 originally and wanted a gen2 or 3, which i don't think you will due to the age of your car.

Any used rack will have the original profile attached so if you're looking for a used item, search for a Mk5 GTI for a 2nd gen or Mk6 GTI for a 3rd, then you won't have to have any reflashing done. Also if you're lucky like me, a used 3rd gen Mk6 GTI rack might come with a loom attached  :grin: