Make a donation

Author Topic: Rear spring replacement  (Read 2555 times)

Offline DavGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Rear spring replacement
« on: June 20, 2018, 01:25:17 pm »
Hi all, I discovered last night that my rear spring has broken. So I picked up two new ones today from ECP. I will be replacing them myself however I was wondering if the bolt that needs to come out to drop the spring down is that a single use only bolt? And if so would anyone be able to point me in the right direction of where to find a part number and torque specs? I’ve googled it, YouTubed it and searched the forum and can’t find any info on it.
Thanks

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
Re: Rear spring replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 01:42:35 pm »
try tps for the bolt

Offline DavGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 02:45:50 pm »
try tps for the bolt

Yeah I’m sure they would have it. Although I would imagine you’d need a part number to get the correct bolt.

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 03:05:13 pm »
nah, just go in and tell the man what you're after, I never take part numbers.

I got a new engine mount bolt last week, went in and just told him which mount it was and he pulled up the exploded diagram of the mount and bolts and I told him which specific bolt it was.

Offline DavGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 03:51:33 pm »
Ah right didn’t realise it would be as simple as that. I’ve used TPS loads of times for serveal different VAG cars I’ve owned but I’ve never ordered anything without a part number lol.

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 04:08:06 pm »
N10628601 or N10610702 for the bolt and N10106402 for the nut.

Offline DavGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 04:13:28 pm »
N10628601 or N10610702 for the bolt and N10106402 for the nut.

Perfect thanks.

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 450
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 04:30:10 pm »
Just be aware that some TPS branches will now not sell to members of the public, only to trade customers...
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline DavGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 06:00:14 pm »
Is that a recent thing? I got a new DV from TPS in March so hopefully my local TPS still serve to the public

Offline andyiseddy02

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
  • My Ride: 2006 Passat SEL estate. 2.0 FSI T.
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 10:46:48 am »
Following a service the advisories were,rear springs snapped, rear toe bushes in poor condition. (Passat,  but same set up).

I did wishbones, bushes new nuts and bolts.I got new bolts before I started.
I got the two toe adjustment nuts and bolts and the outer nuts and bolts for mounting to the hub. It was about £30 for four nuts and bolts :surprised:. Admittedly the toe adj' bolts are quite a complicated affair.

Luckily I knew how to get the old outer bushes out and the new ones in, a simple looking job but not to be taken lightly.

Offline OEM+ DUB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2018, 06:22:26 pm »
Hi all, I discovered last night that my rear spring has broken. So I picked up two new ones today from ECP. I will be replacing them myself however I was wondering if the bolt that needs to come out to drop the spring down is that a single use only bolt? And if so would anyone be able to point me in the right direction of where to find a part number and torque specs? I’ve googled it, YouTubed it and searched the forum and can’t find any info on it.
Thanks

To answer the question, yes - single use bolt and nut. Can’t remember torque setting figure but it’s that plus 90 degrees if memory serves me right.
OEM+ 2005 GTI DSG (high factory standard spec and upgraded with S3 alloy hubs, S3 alloy wishbones, Bilstein B8s and VWR springs by my own hands) owned since 2008 and still loving it!

Offline DavGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2018, 08:24:49 pm »
Thanks

To answer the question, yes - single use bolt and nut. Can’t remember torque setting figure but it’s that plus 90 degrees if memory serves me right.

No worries cheers I bought the bolts anyway just incase. It’s on hold now tho as tonight I’ve just snapped 2 17mm sockets using a 2ft breaker bar trying to get the lug nuts off. Who ever last changed my tyres has massively over tightened them fs!!

Offline DavGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2018, 12:42:14 pm »
Got both these changed the other day as I was doing it my heart was in my stomach as the bolts where heavily rusted and crumbling and I was close to ringing the top of the bolt. Looked at the service history and receipts from VW said the springs where replaced a year and a half ago by VW. Surely they have just reused them bolts as I can’t believe the amount of rust and corrosion on them is only from 18months use.  Oh well new springs and bolts have been replaced not a bad job to do about 45mins - 1 hour for both sides.