Make a donation

Author Topic: Electrical Problem  (Read 1679 times)

Offline maddesigns

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Electrical Problem
« on: June 20, 2018, 02:43:43 pm »
Hi All,

There is something draining the battery in my 2.0 TDi GT - VW Golf. There are no warning lights or any faults appearing when tested. I have had a new starter motor, change of radio but randomly the car won't start. About 4 years ago I had a problem with the front passenger door where it wouldn't lock and then it wouldn't unlock so I had a new lock fitted and it was ok for some time. Now it has got to the stage where even a booster pack or jump leads won't start it. If I charge the battery the car could start and run for 3 weeks or it might just last for one day and then it's back to not starting again. When it's running it's perfect but the not starting is so random!!

Has anyone had any similar problems or can anyone help?

Thanks loads!

Offline DBXdarkangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
Re: Electrical Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 08:35:10 pm »
Alternator is faulty. Excatly same thing happened to my audi a3. Easy way to check it get a multi meter and test the battery with ignition off. Then start the car and test it whilst running. Should be much higher if alternator is doing its job.
I would replace it asap.

Offline neilw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 08:53:43 pm »
What Radio did you put in? Some of the newer VW units can cause battery drain without an updated CANBUS. Lots of info on it on here.
Edition30 #0002 R-Tech Stage2

Offline maddesigns

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 11:13:35 am »
Thanks for your help, much appreciated!

It was exactly the same as the VW model manufactured with the car (like for like). It was only changed to see if this would solve the non-starting issue but it didn't. Previous to that, the original radio in the car had never been changed