Make a donation

Author Topic: Advice needed: Few questions on remaps, spacers, intakes and clutches...  (Read 2136 times)

jacobgibbins

Hey everyone,

New here but after reading loads of stuff on here for the last few months the time has finally come for me to sign up and ask some specific questions.

Got an Ed 30 in red which after a bumpy first 6 months sorting her out fully is now, touch wood running sweet. but... the deep want for more speeds is knocking at the door. So few questions, if you can help with any please do.

1: Best place in/near to Bristol for remaps. Few come up on google but just wanted to see if anyone has any personal feed back ?
2: When doing a stage 1 map, can I tell them how much more HP to give the car, or is it just a blanket one size fits all thing ?
3: How likely is it that with a cat back stainless exhaust, and intake and a stage 1 map, most likely putting out about 300bhp that I will need to put in an updated clutch ?
4: Am I best going for a new high flow panel air filter, or a full intake ? I am not fussed about all out power, will never go above stage 1 and would like the option to revert the car back to standard if I need.
5: Will spacing the wheels out have any benefit other than looks ? Any downsides ?

If there are threads hidden deep in here that answer these I couldn't find in the search please just link em up.

Thanks,

Jacob

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
Morning Jacob. I would recommend making the trip to Rtec to get the intake / injector carbon clean and remap - get everything nicely overhauled for much the same overall cost as Revo / APR remaps. His stage 1 should comfortably give you around 300 bhp/lbft, possibly a little more, without killing your clutch. Panel filter is fine.

Suggest you save the money from the exhaust and put it into handling / braking upgrades eg SALK / Alignment / pads. Retro Resus in Somerset could help you with that.

jacobgibbins

Thanks for the reply and advice, I will check those guys out.

Morning Jacob. I would recommend making the trip to Rtec to get the intake / injector carbon clean and remap - get everything nicely overhauled for much the same overall cost as Revo / APR remaps. His stage 1 should comfortably give you around 300 bhp/lbft, possibly a little more, without killing your clutch. Panel filter is fine.

Suggest you save the money from the exhaust and put it into handling / braking upgrades eg SALK / Alignment / pads. Retro Resus in Somerset could help you with that.

Offline csrigo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Try and avoid spacers mate if your wanting to lower the car significantly if not already imo.

Each clutch will be different depending on the previous owners abuse...I went stage one in my eddy and required an uprated clutch fairly quickly and I'm second owner from new at about 50k(when I bought the car)..however others on here have been running stage 1 for years with no issues..just ur donald duck tbh mate but be prepared.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 08:19:42 pm by csrigo »

Offline Raincloud

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
totally off topic but are you Jacob Gibbins mountain bike photographer.?

jacobgibbins

totally off topic but are you Jacob Gibbins mountain bike photographer.?

Haha yes I am. As for clutches and spacers I think I will for now leave it stock ( apart from the new exhaust ) and look into getting an MX5 or something as a track car...

Thanks for the advice folks.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
I would get Revo personally, or any map that allows you to switch to stock if you need to.   You would need a custom map if you want a specific BHP/torque figure.

Clutch is borderline on Stage 1.  Brand new clutch can handle it for a while if you're a mechanically sympathetic driver, but if the clutch is old (60-70K plus) it will definitely start to slip.  It also depends how the previous owners treated it.  Some people just plain crap drivers and ride the clutch too much, or give it too much gas and too little bite pulling away from a standstill, plus holding it on the bite on hills instead of using the MUCH cheaper handbrake. Etc.

Most intakes are absolute junk, and I would stay away from them personally.  A Pipercross dry foam panel filter is a nice little drop in and gives modest gains.

Avoid spacers.  They mess up the scrub radius (boring nerdy subject) and you will stone chip the hell out of your arch lips, which will accelerate rust.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D