Make a donation

Author Topic: Exhaust dropping out of subframe mount  (Read 3085 times)

Offline Ollieeee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 4
Exhaust dropping out of subframe mount
« on: July 02, 2018, 08:08:52 pm »
Hi all, having an issue with my exhaust continually dropping out of the hanger on the back of the subframe. Have replaced the bracket with the bushes in, and also replaced the dog bone mount as it was suspected the engine was rocking and pushing it out, but that hasn't solved it either. Has anyone else had the same problem? I also occasionally get a bit of a jolt and a clunk/thud on gear changes like something's moving, it's a manual.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Exhaust dropping out of subframe mount
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 12:03:27 pm »
Might be worth checking the gearbox mount.  The one under the battery tray.   Pretty unusual for a standard downpipe to pull out like that!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 12:58:32 pm »
Might be worth checking the gearbox mount.  The one under the battery tray.   Pretty unusual for a standard downpipe to pull out like that!

that's a simple job to do as well. I did mine a couple of weeks ago, new meyle mount with poly inserts.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 01:31:05 pm »
Definitely worth keeping an eye on that mount.  It seems to be the shortest lived one.  My missus's MK4 1.6 used to have the same clunk on gear changes, and when cruising along at a steady speed, just touching the gas or backing off made the gear stick twitch.

I grabbed her engine and rocked it back and forth, and the movement at the gearbox end was hilarious  :grin:   It was pretty much just hanging there.  The rubber had hardened/perished and retracted away from the metal.   New mounts from the dealer and all sorted  :happy2:

Offline Ollieeee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 09:46:34 am »

that's a simple job to do as well. I did mine a couple of weeks ago, new meyle mount with poly inserts.

Definitely worth keeping an eye on that mount.  It seems to be the shortest lived one.  My missus's MK4 1.6 used to have the same clunk on gear changes, and when cruising along at a steady speed, just touching the gas or backing off made the gear stick twitch.

I grabbed her engine and rocked it back and forth, and the movement at the gearbox end was hilarious  :grin:   It was pretty much just hanging there.  The rubber had hardened/perished and retracted away from the metal.   New mounts from the dealer and all sorted  :happy2:

Thanks both, will give it a check! Like you say, just touching the accelerator I can feel there's some movement somewhere, it's started doing some weird almost like kangarooing when I first start driving it as well. Feel's like the engine's bouncing around  :grin:

Offline Ollieeee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 08:14:26 pm »
Looks like that's the culprit! It's not actually as loud as it sounds in the video, socket was rattling on my engine cover.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 08:18:12 pm »
Yep, that is knackered!