Make a donation

Author Topic: My new car - GTI  (Read 3410 times)

Offline mobbsmobbs

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
My new car - GTI
« on: July 06, 2018, 04:46:54 pm »
Hi Guys,

Just thought id say hello, bought my self an 06 GTI in silver. Previously was driving a 1.4 corolla so a massive change in speed. I think i paid a bit over the market price but i am really enjoying it so far. Its done 76,000 on the clock and i think is in decent shape for its age.

Good bits

Previous owner put brand new pirelli tyres and its had the timing belt and waterpump done in 2016 - 71K miles. Immaculate condition inside. it is completely stock so nothing extra inside. Removed the oil stick whilst on and the car shuddered so i am assuming the DV is fine.

Bad bits

It has developed slight bubbling on the arches and when you look underneath you can see the rust. The MFD occasionally flickers and does crazy things. A slight screeching noise from drivers side wheel, but only happens when coasting and driving straight, stops when i turn left or right. Alloys need a refrub.  Couple of carpark dings and the back bumper has some stone chips. Air con doesn't seem to work. No cold air. Front top grill slightly cracked. Not sure if cam follower is done.

For piece of mind, decided to take it for a full service at Volksmaster - and was told one o/s/r coil spring had snapped and the front break pads and discs were worn/corroded. Decided to change both rear springs and front pads and discs. Roughly £600 inc service. i did want the brake fluid replaced but he said something along the lines of if i do it there is a chance i would snap something and the calipers would need changing. May need to start saving for some calipers. They have discoloured. Also n/s/r backing plate is missing and the other is corroded. Will need to change them soon.

Plan is to keep it stock. I only do 16 mile return commute a day and all local roads. But I actually look forward to driving it everyday. I suppose this will wear off soon once the honeymoon period is over.

Thanks for reading and if you have any idea about the screeching noise let us know.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Offline andyiseddy02

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
  • My Ride: 2006 Passat SEL estate. 2.0 FSI T.
Re: My new car - GTI
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 01:22:22 pm »
Snapping something changing the fluid???

He can only mean a bleed nipple. He sounds like a bit of a drama queen.

Offline DBXdarkangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 03:47:11 pm »
Sounds like a scrapper

Offline Chesto18

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 06:42:35 pm »
Remove the dipstick checks the PCV not the DV.

If the DV is torn it will feel flat/no boost. Can you feel the turbo kick in? I’d be checking it for sure unless I had recent proof it had been done.

Off the top of my head, the screeching noise could be a wheel bearing, a caliper binding slightly, or could be an issue with the rack. But I’m not a mechanic 😉

Offline mobbsmobbs

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 12:14:03 am »
Sounds like a scrapper
What's a scrapper?

Offline mobbsmobbs

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 12:16:50 am »
Remove the dipstick checks the PCV not the DV.

If the DV is torn it will feel flat/no boost. Can you feel the turbo kick in? I’d be checking it for sure unless I had recent proof it had been done.

Off the top of my head, the screeching noise could be a wheel bearing, a caliper binding slightly, or could be an issue with the rack. But I’m not a mechanic
Sorry yh PCV lol. No I think the DV is fine. I can certainly feel the turbo kicking in at 4k revs. On the service advisory it mentioned underbody has corroded. Is this a big deal?

Offline mobbsmobbs

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 12:19:50 am »

Yh I found it strange. He said he could only do a partial brake fluid change from the top as the nut/bolt is corroded where they normally do it from. Confused

Offline john_o

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 05:08:40 pm »
enjoy the car, get some more pictures up :smiley:

screeching noise sounds like power steering pump/belt

snapping stuff is not an excuse to not change the brake fluid! just get some penetrating fluid on (depends a lot on whether your calipers are discoloured due to corrosion or heat (indicating they are binding)
Exchange or new calipers are relatively inexpensive so it might be easier to just swap out.

fwiw you should feel the turbo on a K03 gti kick in a lot earlier than 4k (id say 2500 or earlier, for a K04 car thats 2750rpm), so might be worth swapping your DV

Plan is to keep it stock
  :signLOL: Ill give you a week or two on this forum.....

enjoy  :happy2:

Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline DavGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 07:11:06 pm »
For the cost and an easy to do on the driveway job with basic tools I’d get that DV done as well. Mines was split when I got the car and it still pulled well but after replacing it, it pulled a lot harder.

Offline Chesto18

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 10:16:54 pm »
enjoy the car, get some more pictures up :smiley:

screeching noise sounds like power steering pump/belt

snapping stuff is not an excuse to not change the brake fluid! just get some penetrating fluid on (depends a lot on whether your calipers are discoloured due to corrosion or heat (indicating they are binding)
Exchange or new calipers are relatively inexpensive so it might be easier to just swap out.

fwiw you should feel the turbo on a K03 gti kick in a lot earlier than 4k (id say 2500 or earlier, for a K04 car thats 2750rpm), so might be worth swapping your DV

Plan is to keep it stock
  :signLOL: Ill give you a week or two on this forum.....

enjoy  :happy2:

Yeah my turbo seems to kick around 2500, after a small lag,  then there is another noticable kick around 3500 which I *think* is the engine coming on cam. Slightly less lag.

4K+ it goes batsh*t crazy with hardly any lag.

Offline mobbsmobbs

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 05:27:58 pm »

Yes that's exactly what it is having re-read the service book. Basically he couldn't change the brake fluid due to the bleed nipples on the calipers seized and corroded. Would this explain the screeching sound? They want £337 to change both calipers.

Offline andyiseddy02

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 07:22:57 pm »
Ring Awesome and ask for John Glover, 0161 776 0777, ask his advice regarding changing the brake fluid/snapping the bleed nipple.
Always best to get a second opinion if nothing else.

Offline mobbsmobbs

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2018, 02:59:59 pm »
I think i may have found what the screeching noise is. I think it is the rear backing plate. Also i am experiencing loud banging noises when going over humps or bumpy road. Now the other rear wheel doesnt have one for some reason so what will happen if i just take it off and not replace it. Its driving me mad the noise.

Also does anyone know where i can get the mfd replaced around Manchester area. i think it is about to go. 

Offline andyiseddy02

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2018, 09:51:27 pm »
I think i may have found what the screeching noise is. I think it is the rear backing plate. Also i am experiencing loud banging noises when going over humps or bumpy road. Now the other rear wheel doesnt have one for some reason so what will happen if i just take it off and not replace it. Its driving me mad the noise.

Also does anyone know where i can get the mfd replaced around Manchester area. i think it is about to go.

I have nothing to do with the company I mentioned above just used them for years. Give them a try.
The banging noise could be a few things, nothing really complicated or expensive.
It could be top mounts ( rubber mounts with a bearing that the front shock absorber bolts to.)

Drop links connect the anti roll bar to the wishbone. A loose one of those makes an awful noise.

Offline mobbsmobbs

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2018, 02:32:11 pm »
Code: [Select]

So i took it today to the garage and removed the backing plate, this has solved the scraping noise. The guy said i would need to put both backing plates on as soon as, because the wheel bearings will start to get damaged. how true is this?

However, i am getting a chirping noise (dont know which wheel) but it stops when i apply the brakes. can this be a sticking caliper? would i need to replace them as that is quite costly/.